Destiny Engine Issues

wanderlust402

We just called Carnival as we are booked in Dec on the Destiny and are quite concerned about this cruise. We book what we book so that we can go to the ports chosen....other than weather related changes, there is no excuse not to inform the passengers in ADVANCE. We called to find out the TRUTH....hahaha.....after being transferred to guest services they denied ANY knowledge at ALL of ANY issues with the engines etc, or the possible need to dry-dock to repair them, nor do they even admit to the changes in itinerary on the Destiny.....aarrrgghhh! At least some honesty would go a long way in helping their customers make decisions in advance. We need to fly half way across the country to get to a port and some notice (more than the day before in a phone call) would go a long way towards decent "customer service".

Im sure Carnival hasnt made any decisions regarding future Destiny cruises is the problem. If they had it would be posted on their home page. Until then you arent going to get any thing else from calling Carnival? They arent going to discuss rumors they might have heard, until the news is official, if there is any news prior to cruises leaving. Thats just how it works. They wouldnt have any news not posted on their site.

We just called Carnival as we are booked in Dec on the Destiny and are quite concerned about this cruise. We book what we book so that we can go to the ports chosen....other than weather related changes, there is no excuse not to inform the passengers in ADVANCE. We called to find out the TRUTH....hahaha.....after being transferred to guest services they denied ANY knowledge at ALL of ANY issues with the engines etc, or the possible need to dry-dock to repair them, nor do they even admit to the changes in itinerary on the Destiny.....aarrrgghhh! At least some honesty would go a long way in helping their customers make decisions in advance. We need to fly half way across the country to get to a port and some notice (more than the day before in a phone call) would go a long way towards decent "customer service".

You will find a lot more information here on these boards than you will get by calling Carnival. Their reps are often not as knowledgeable as many of the people who you will find here.

It could be they truly do not know when the problem will be fixed. It may take a drydock, which would mean a cruise is cancelled. They also have to make all the arrangements for spare parts and find a nearby drydock with time available. That all takes time.

Meanwhile, they HAVE to keep operating. They can't just call everyone who booked and say "sorry, here's your money back" because the ship needs to sail full to be profitable. They know it's better to tick off some passengers than to lose millions of dollars.

The fact is, even if the ports change, you still get the same onboard experience, and that is really what cruising is all about. So it's best to just accept the changes IF they occur and enjoy the vacation. Griping about it won't do any good, and it will take away from the fun and anticipation.

No, they don't. The choose to.

Ok, they HAVE to keep operating to make money for the shareholders, so they choose to.

I think any other cruise line would be working under the same business realities.

A) Change the ports and risk alienating some people; or,

B) Cancel the cruise and ruin many people's vacation, and lose millions of dollars.

Hmmm... though choices. Let me think on this.

Ok, they HAVE to keep operating to make money for the shareholders, so they choose to.

I think any other cruise line would be working under the same business realities.

A) Change the ports and risk alienating some people; or,

B) Cancel the cruise and ruin many people's vacation, and lose millions of dollars.

Hmmm... though choices. Let me think on this.

Depends on whether you think short or long term.

Depends on whether you think short or long term.

Short and long are relative... I think it could take a month or two to line up the necessary items to make the repair. I don't think we actually know what is wrong, so it is totally speculation about repair times. But assuming a drydock is necessary, that takes time to arrange.

If they do a drydock, they will have to cancel a week of a cruise. If they are going to do that, they would want to give them as much advance notice as possible, while still getting the fix made as quickly as possible. See the difficulty here?

As soon as they have worked out the repair details, they will make a decision and tell everyone. Until that happens we can only speculate.

Short and long are relative... I think it could take a month or two to line up the necessary items to make the repair. I don't think we actually know what is wrong, so it is totally speculation about repair times. But assuming a drydock is necessary, that takes time to arrange..

there have been some posts, I dont remember the techncalities, except the bottom line is one engine is out, so they have to drive manually, cant do auto pilot and cant do over 11 knots and have more vibration in the back due to moving on only one engine. ... thats why they couldnt make it to the further port, and had to turn back sooner than anticipated.

I dont have a clue whats wrong with the engine though they are trying to patch up.

Carnival Destiny has recently been one of those perfect vessels to choose for doing back-to-back sailings because of the alternating shorter itineraries. It could possibly suck for those who might have a change of future itin, and then get to see it twice.

hey firefly you seem to know a good deal on here :) i cruise on the destiny in jan think it may be cancelled? i dont mind a diff port than grand turk . i'm just worried cause my flight tix are non refundable

It would be unusual to just cancel a cruise last minute, but its happened. I hope its not your week. Seems like the plan is to keep trying to fix it as they go, and when they are docked work on the engine that is broke.

More than likely, it should be fixed in a month I would think. (since crew are telling pax, it doesnt need to go into dry dock to fix), worse comes to worse, be prepared to miss a port.

I agree, Iv missed ports and I just tell myself. ... Ill be back another time.

Hello All.

I am on the Destiny in January. I am supposed to go to Cozamel and Key West. If they cancel Key West I will be bummed. :( But really doubt it as it is near Miami.

But as a well seasoned cruiser I know ports get cancelled for all kinds of reasons. Also times and orders of ports get changed. It is not like the airlines do not cancel / change flights.

Tom in Long Beach.

Cancelled ports

Rotterdam 1995 Some port in France because of labor unrest. :eek:

Norway 1999 Cozamel and Private island ( only rum punch and new port given) :eek::eek:

QM2 2006 ports in Hawaii order changed to avoid bad weather. :(

I am sure there must be more and the first time you really are bummed out.

i'm just worried cause my flight tix are non refundable

Most non-refundable tickets can be changed to a new date. You may have to pay a change fee and if the new date has a higher fare you would pay the fare difference.

Carnival usually does not cover your extra costs due to their change, unless you booked air with the cruise line. Travel insurance would help in this case.

I usually don't get the travel insurance until near the time of the cruise, so I am risking the flights. It's a very real risk, but the costs will hopefully be manageable.

Just got home from a beautiful time on the Destiny last night. Yes we did miss GT due to the same problems she was having in the past. Which in my opinion should have been fix before she was to set sail again. How ever we were not going to let it ruin a perfect time with the family.

I do not see where people say the food, service,attitude of the crew and the like are not up to par. MDR, aft lido food and room service was excellent.

Sometime folks expectations are way to high.

If the Destiny issues are going to bother people maybe they should schedule a different ship. If you still are going to sail on her then expect mechanical problems and port cancellations.

1st time Carnival cruiser and we were not disappointed because of our expectations. We get what we pay for.

Fix the problem with the ship. Simple enough.

I also just got off the Destiny yesterday. I would say all accounts from those who have posted are quite accurate.

The night before the GT announcement, we did notice that there was only a foamy trail off the back of the ship on one side. We had an aft balcony on deck 8, maybe I should have been more worried, but we really didn't think much about it until they canceled the stop at GT. While the announcement was still being made I hightailed it to the pool to grab some seats....lol. And that is where we spent the day. Yes, I was bummed but I am happy we made it to HMC and I think I have a much better tan for the extra sea day....:D.

As for the rest of the cruise, it was a great classic Carnival experience....now, Pip needed to stop screaming into the microphone on lido and making my ears bleed, but other than that....it was awesome. It was my first real cruise drama (my 8th cruise) and I am glad that I now know I can be flexible in these situations.

It was a great cruise.

I agree, Iv missed ports and I just tell myself. ... Ill be back another time.

Lucky YOU.....not everyone can "be back another time". Good thinking but not possible for all folks. We have missed ports too due to weather.....but not when the cruise lines KNEW in ADVANCE that their vessel was broken and then still refuses to TIMELY notify their guests so that alternative plans can be made. Not fair to penalize passengers in making their own business decisions.

i have no problem missing a port .i would like to see them add another port instead maybe freeport or something like that i just dont want 3 sea days .although i like sea days my dd is not pottytrained . and being in ports means she can swim .i do have a small pool we are bringing for sea days but still not the same .

Archived