Port Everglades on a busy Sunday?

Rassa

To those of you who know, what will Port Everglades be like on a busy March Sunday with 6 ships disembarking thousands of people and then embarking thousands? We will be a quarter of a mile from the port and don't mind walking but it sound like it will be mayhem.

Rassa

What will it be like in terms of what? Car traffic? Embarkation lines? Pedestrian traffic?

We've sailed to/from Port everglades 8 times. On about Half of those it was extremely easy and quick getting on and off the ship. Taxis were easy and quick. While some of these were slow days during the week, others were typical weekend turn-around days with lots of other ships in port.

On a few more it was crowded and minor delays, a little congested with minor delays boarding or disembarking and some lines for taxis but not bad.

Our most recent was just this past week on a Thursday, a day I wouldn't expect to be busy. There were two other ships in port. While one was the new mega ship, Oasis, I don't think it was arriving that morning. Rather I think it was docked in port for several days for Publicity events. Disembarking ran a couple of hours behind with long lines queuing into the terminal and customs and some confusing lines for taxis and rental car buses.

The worst was a holiday cruise where it was terrible as the port was very crowded with lots of full to capacity ships. Disembarkation ran an hour or two behind and it was a complete zoo at the terminal with utter confusion and a large shortage of cabs and alternate ground transportation. It took us a couple hours to get to the airport 2 miles away.

All this points to a lot of inconsistency on how busy port days effect lines and delays. You might find your embarkation swift and easy with literally no lines at all, or it could be a complete zoo. Many of the factors contributing might be out of your control and not predictable. Lots of issues could unexpectedly effect your ship's disembarkation with a domino effect on your embarkation. And all this was before the new 6,000 passenger Oasis started active runs.

When you mention 1/4 mile and walking do you realize that Port Everglades in an industrial area not designed for pedestrians? It is also a large area and, depending on what port entrance and dock you are at, it could be close to 2 miles from the port entrance to your ship's dock. I would not recommend walking in - a cab should cost $5 to $10 and many hotels offer shuttle service.

Search on the Port Everglades site or use a search engine to look for cruise ships in port for your date of sailing and return-there are a few that will tell you what ships are in on those particular days.

We have been in this port +10 as we live in South Florida. The location of your ship is very important. Some ships have parking very close and in walking distance. On others:eek: you need to be dropped off. If you are in a taxi etc. no problem. If you drive there, that is something else, someone needs to drop you off, grab a shuttle and park. It all depends. Good luck.

http://www.cruisett.com/ships.php?ShipID=63&date=5

Above is the link to check which ships are moored at various ports during your cruise. I check precisely because Oasis of the Seas is docked on the same pier in Ft L as Solstice/Equinox. Could be very busy if both are there on the same day. I would think the cruise line would have this in mind when they set the port schedule. So far, I can't see WHEN OOTS arrives/leaves Ft Lauderdale. Must be too new for this site's schedule.

Hope this helps.

http://www.cruisett.com/ships.php?ShipID=63&date=5

Above is the link to check which ships are moored at various ports during your cruise. I check precisely because Oasis of the Seas is docked on the same pier in Ft L as Solstice/Equinox. Could be very busy if both are there on the same day. I would think the cruise line would have this in mind when they set the port schedule. So far, I can't see WHEN OOTS arrives/leaves Ft Lauderdale. Must be too new for this site's schedule.

Hope this helps.

Excellent link for gathering information. However, I see that our itinerary is NOT correct. The itinerary was changed many months ago and it is not reflected yet in this link. Makes me wonder about the accuracy. But it's a start and I'm glad to bookmark this for future reference. Thanks a lot!

Good morning

To the OP, 6 ships in PortEverglades would be considered as a '' medium-buzy '' day. The facility has , at times, NINE vessels in port.:eek: Thus, it is

built to handle well over 22000 folks desembarking....and another similar lot embarking, on a given day. However, as LSIMON ( a veteran poster and cruiser here !! ) points out, numerous issues may crop up on any given morning which may ripple their annoying effects throughout the whole day....and this will throw a wrinkle in the regular process, whether you have 2 , 6 or 9 ships in port. Chief among those potential problems ?:: Customs & Border Protection procedures ( sometimes affected by events....or people );; another exemple: local authorities '' holding'' a ship for disembarkation, sometimes for 1-2 hours, for reasons which vary and can't be discussed here; another one...and it does happen; an incoming ship due to show up around 5.00am-ish for positionning, mooring and docking, is late by 2-3 hours.

And yes;; this is a huge facility, itslef covering a wide area. Residing '

'' 1/4 of a mile '' from PortEverglades is inconsequential when you start figuring where exactly you have to arrive ON the facilities ,in accordance with which berth // building your particular cruise ship is docked.

Be prepared for a buzy day with ''normal hassles'' and arrive at the general facility 11.00am-ish latest....and you have little chance of further bad news......AND ENJOY YOUR CRUISE.:)

Cheers

;)

To those of you who know, what will Port Everglades be like on a busy March Sunday with 6 ships disembarking thousands of people and then embarking thousands? We will be a quarter of a mile from the port and don't mind walking but it sound like it will be mayhem.

Rassa

We're booked on the same cruise. As you were told, you can't walk there no matter what. It's a long drive snaking around inside to where any ship will be. A cab or shuttle will be easy just as it's easy with a car.

We've been there many times by car, dropped of our luggage, parked and walked back. It will be even easier without a car. Your ride will drop you off and you're there.

If you are on 17th street, your hotel will likely have a shuttle. The biggest hassle will be in boarding the shuttle with hoards of other cruise ship passengers in line for their ride.

Hopefully the hotels have sign up sheets for shuttle times. Does anyone know if this is the case with the hotels in Fort Lauderdale?

Archived