Rome--catacombs

cruzisme

I'm assuming you are interested in the catacombs along the Appian way? I've done the Appian way twice (one of my favorite areas). So far, the best way I've found to get there using public transportation is to take Metro Line B south to the Piramide stop, then catch bus #118 which makes stops at both of the major catacombs (San Callisto and San Sebastiano).

I've also done the Appian way using the Archeobus, but I wouldn't recommend it as the only real benefit of doing it was to get all the way out to the Aqueduct Park -- however, the Archeobus no longer goes that far.

As to which catacombs to visit, they close on different days/months, so your choice may already be limited. According to Rick Steves, San Sebastiano is closed on Sundays and from mid-November to mid-December annually. San Callisto is closed on Wednesdays and during February. They are both very interesting; not sure if I'd rate one more highly than another.

If you make the trip, don't miss the other sights of the Appian way -- especially the tomb of Cecelia Metella.

We took a taxi to San Sebastiano (15 Euro from Largo Argentina) and when we were done, we bought bus tickets at the front desk and walked to the bus stop. It's at least half a mile to the bus stop. I also saw people grab taxis that were letting people off at the catacombs. I've been to catacombs twice and I thought they were much better than the Vatican Scavi tour.

I am not sure if we will be able to do the catacombs after all.

the time restraints are there as we only have from 8 until 4 pm (our ship leaves at 5 pm) and we need to include the train travel from Civit. to Rome and return.

I have looked at the google maps etc. and the public transportation seems not that close to the actual catacomb sites. Am I mistaken?

I went to the catacombs by bus about five years ago, so I just checked the www.atac.roma.it web site to be sure I'm giving you up to date information.

The bus that goes to both San Callisto and San Sebastiano is #118. This bus line begins at The Ostiense train station, so the easiest thing to do would be to go directly from Civitavecchia, getting off the regional train at Ostiense, then getting on the #118 bus. Here is a list of the stops going from Ostiense to the catacombs:

P.LE OSTIENSE mb.gif , PORTA S. PAOLO , AVENTINO/ALBANIA , AVENTINO , CIRCO MASSIMO mb.gif , TERME CARACALLA/PORTA CAPENA , TERME CARACALLA/VALLE CAMENE , PORTA S. SEBASTIANO/NUMA POMPILIO , PORTA S. SEBASTIANO/SEPOLCRO SCIPIONI , PORTA S. SEBASTIANO , APPIA ANTICA/TRAVICELLA , APPIA ANTICA/DOMINE QUO VADIS , APPIA ANTICA/CAFFARELLA , APPIA ANTICA/SCUOLA AGRARIA , CATACOMBE S.CALLISTO , BASILICA S. SEBASTIANO

San Callisto and San Sebastiano are less than a half mile apart. When you are ready to return to town, the stops going back (also on the #118 bus) are:

CATACOMBE S. CALLISTO , APPIA ANTICA/SCUOLA AGRARIA , APPIA ANTICA/CAFFARELLA , APPIA ANTICA/DOMINE QUO VADIS , APPIA ANTICA/TRAVICELLA , PORTA S. SEBASTIANO , TERME CARACALLA/CAMENE , TERME CARACALLA/PORTA CAPENA , CIRCO MASSIMO mb.gif , AVENTINO , AVENTINO/ALBANIA , PORTA S. PAOLO , P.LE OSTIENSE mb.gif

If you have time to see some of Rome, you would get off the bus at Circo Massimo, where you can either walk to the Colosseum or take the metro one stop to the Colosseum stop.

One point about taking the #118 bus - when you are ready to return to town, do ask the staff at whichever site you are leaving to direct you to the stop that is returning to town. The #118 is not a "loop", it has a beginning (Ostiense) and an end (Lagonegro). If you get on heading toward Lagonegro, you'll wind up sitting at the end of the route during the driver's break, then riding the entire line back to town.

My recollection is that while we got off the bus right near the catacombs, we needed to walk about a block to get to the stop returning to town (because it was a one way road at that point, the bus returning traveled on a parallel road). It would have been a lovely walk in nice weather; unfortunately for us, we were there in December and a wicked wind had kicked up.

Thank you euro cruiser for the additional info

we will print this out and keep it for April and then decide what to see and do

if the catacombs are that easy to reach by bus, we may decide to visit them

Rome has so much to see and do!;)

Any suggestions as to which one(s) to visit?

And travel route via bus (number?) and/or metro stops?

I have been trying to get some info but if someone out there has already done this, advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!:)

The catacombs on Appian Way I believe are the ones you are probably referring to and the bus is the only form of public transportation that is located close to the area.

Archived