Formal dress optional

mmpadp

Isn't it about time that cruise lines make formal nights optional? If you want to wear a tux, suit and tie -- great. If not, that's fine too! Smart casual should be just fine on formal night. With todays airline baggage restrictions it's getting harder to tote extra clothing. Besides I'm on vacation and want to relax, and formal dress clothing can be too restrictive.

Isn't it about time that cruise lines make formal nights optional? If you want to wear a tux, suit and tie -- great. If not, that's fine too! Smart casual should be just fine on formal night. With todays airline baggage restrictions it's getting harder to tote extra clothing. Besides I'm on vacation and want to relax, and formal dress clothing can be too restrictive.

No one says you have to attend the formal nights in the dining room. Most ships have plenty of alternative places to eat and some lines like Norweigian and Carnival, it is optional in the main dining room. We don't bring formal clothing anymore but instead dine in another venue those nights. I wouldn't wear casual clothing though in the dining room. "smart casual should be just fine on formal night" really doesn't make much sense does it? Just go somewhere else that night.

If you're invited to a "formal" party, you either dress accordingly, or don't attend! Your choice!

When folks book vacations/cruises, it's up to them to determine if the "dress codes", or other "rules" are suitable for their lifestyle. If not, don't book it! If you can get onboard with the requirements, then, have fun!

There are cruiselines that don't ask you to dress in a certain way....research, before you book!

IMO, no.

What you stated, (if you want to wear a tux, suit and tie, great, if not...) is already accepted. I have yet to see anyone denied being seated in the MDR if they were not dressed formally. As it stands now with lines which do have formal nights, most people make some effort to dress nicely if not formally.

If you're invited to a "formal" party, you either dress accordingly, or don't attend! Your choice!

When folks book vacations/cruises, it's up to them to determine if the "dress codes", or other "rules" are suitable for their lifestyle. If not, don't book it! If you can get onboard with the requirements, then, have fun!

There are cruiselines that don't ask you to dress in a certain way....research, before you book!

I couldn't agree more!!!!

I notice nobody ever mentions luggage restrictions when they're talking about smuggling booze or bringing along snorkel gear or power strips or any of the other impedimenta people seem to think they can't cruise without. And if your formal wear is too "restrictive," then I'd respectfully suggest you buy some that fits.

I recently returned from a Carnival cruise where formal nights are optional, now called elegant nights, or something like that. I really enjoy formal nights and struggled a bit with what to do.

In the end for myself I decided that I was going to treat the elegant nights as formal and did wear full length gowns on each evening, my husband wore a tux one evening and jacket and tie the next.

There were also many others who wore what we did, and about the same that did go for a more casual dress. I think because it was so varied, and equally spread out the people in formal attire and the people in casual clothing all seemed to be comfortable with thier choices. I was a bit surprised that this all worked but it did.

You many want to consider Carnival or NCL who has this option available.

I thought formal night already was optional.:confused: I have not yet heard of a passenger having their cabin bum rushed by an angry ship captain yelling "STEP AWAY FROM THE FLIP FLOPS AND PUT ON THIS EVENING GOWN, OR ELSE!!!! :D!

But seriously, this has been a hot topic of debate for the cc boards for quite some time, so here's my humble opinion.

Some people enjoy prancing around in formal wear, showing off how pretty/handsome they look, and posing for pictures in the rediculous and unnatural poses those silly ship photographers like to put them in. ;) I happen to be one of these people and I am very proud of it! :D And I hope I can be so presumptuous as to speak for at least some (but certainly not all) of those who do enjoy participating in formal night. We painstakingly pluck, tuck, trim, and shave...to look our best for formal night and all we ask in return is that the "enchantment" of the evening not be lessened by passengers in more casual clothing in the dining room. (Not admitting to anything here, but some of us, ...ah hem... may for example, enjoy pretending we are royalty, or living the lifestyle of the rich and famous! Again, NOT admitting, I'm just sayin'!....:D)

So in summary, we respectfully request that those who feel more comfortable in something other than formal wear, please allow us to prance, dance, and drink tea with our pinky fingers held out, just for this ONE evening, and we promise to welcome you with open arms back into the dining room any other time your heart desires. All we ask is that you allow us to live our delusions and fantasies just for a few hours. And we thank you profusely for your kindness and understanding.;)

I thought formal night already was optional.:confused: I have not yet heard of a passenger having their cabin bum rushed by an angry ship captain yelling "STEP AWAY FROM THE FLIP FLOPS AND PUT ON THIS EVENING GOWN, OR ELSE!!!! :D!

But seriously, this has been a hot topic of debate for the cc boards for quite some time, so here's my humble opinion.

Some people enjoy prancing around in formal wear, showing off how pretty/handsome they look, and posing for pictures in the rediculous and unnatural poses those silly ship photographers like to put them in. ;) I happen to be one of these people and I am very proud of it! :D And I hope I can be so presumptuous as to speak for at least some (but certainly not all) of those who do enjoy participating in formal night. We painstakingly pluck, tuck, trim, and shave...to look our best for formal night and all we ask in return is that the "enchantment" of the evening not be lessened by passengers in more casual clothing in the dining room. (Not admitting to anything here, but some of us, ...ah hem... may for example, enjoy pretending we are royalty, or living the lifestyle of the rich and famous! Again, NOT admitting, I'm just sayin'!....:D)

So in summary, we respectfully request that those who feel more comfortable in something other than formal wear, please allow us to prance, dance, and drink tea with our pinky fingers held out, just for this ONE evening, and we promise to welcome you with open arms back into the dining room any other time your heart desires. All we ask is that you allow us to live our delusions and fantasies just for a few hours. And we thank you profusely for your kindness and understanding.;)

Tamaram26

Did you not notice that in my original quote i said "If you want to wear a tux, suit and tie -- great. If not, that's fine too! Smart casual should be just fine on formal night." I'm not talking about wearing cut-offs, flip flops and bikinis to the main dining room; just smart casual -- button down collared shirt, tie and either dark pants or khakis.

I thought it was already optional anyway. Not many men wear tuxes any longer, many women (including myself) wear cocktail dresses instead of long dresses or gowns. My husband wears a suit or sports coat. So, for me, it has become semi-formal or smart casual night.

Formal to me is tux and gown at the minimum, something that is rarely seen on cruise ships any longer. Carnival has even re-named it "elegant night". I'll never understand that term, since it seems to excuse people from dressing elegantly.

Tamaram26

Did you not notice that in my original quote i said "If you want to wear a tux, suit and tie -- great. If not, that's fine too! Smart casual should be just fine on formal night." I'm not talking about wearing cut-offs, flip flops and bikinis to the main dining room; just smart casual -- button down collared shirt, tie and either dark pants or khakis.

I did read your original quote, which is why I prefeced my response with "here's my humble opinion". You expressed your opinion, and I expressed mine, which is really the reason why we all post, right? ...so we can share our thoughts and opinions with others.:) I think some folks ought to lighten up and have a little fun here on the boards!:p

I do have just one question....If smart casual wear becomes appropriate on formal night, can I wear my flip flops on smart casual night? :D

Don't take life too seriously...you'll never get out alive!:D:D:D

Tamaram26

I think it has been pointed out a number of times that formal nights are really NOT mandatory (well maybe Cunard should be left out) so your original post is could be considered moot. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".;):)

I did read your original quote, which is why I prefeced my response with "here's my humble opinion". You expressed your opinion, and I expressed mine, which is really the reason why we all post, right? ...so we can share our thoughts and opinions with others.:) I think some folks ought to lighten up and have a little fun here on the boards!:p

I "got" your post and thought it was humorous.:D

Luggage restrictions are a poor excuse. I took 3 different gowns on our last cruise, my husband took his suit and we came in under the 23kg per person allowance.

If you don't wish to participate, nobody is twisting your arm.

Long live formal nights

You are absolutely correct--luggage restrictions are not an excuse. I flew to London and sailed for 14 nights and had 5 formal, 7 semiformal and 2 elegant casual nights and did not exceed the baggage weight limit.

It is a choice that you make.

I do believe that if we are asked to stay within certain guidelines set forth by the cruise line then we should, out of respect for our fellow passengers. That said, I think some of the confusion is in regard to the use of the term "formal". As a woman of a certain age (okay, 61), I grew up in an era where formal was very specific. As a matter of fact, an invitation to a wedding, fancy ball, etc., stated white tie, black tie, or semi-formal. With the first two, women were expected to wear evening gowns, but semi-formal meant a black suit for men and cocktail dresses for women. There were no options in between; thus, no confusion. Well, then the 60s came around and all bets were off. Tuxedos came in every color of the rainbow. I still get a little nauseated when I think of those powder blue tuxes that started to show up in wedding parties. But I got over it and accepted that fashions change. However, we are still seeing the designation "formal night", and that seems to mean different things to different generations. On my first cruise I panicked. I thought everyone was going to look like Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr in that movie "An Affair to Remember". After reading the guidelines for "formal" night I realized it simply meant to dress up and look nice, but I was still afraid that if I didn't show up in an evening gown I would be denied admission to the dining room. I love how adorable young women look in fancy jeans/shorts and sparkly tops with heels, but we still are confused as to whether it's appropriate for the dining room on formal nights. Dressing up for dinner a couple of times during a cruise makes the experience more special. I skipped it on my Alaska cruise and regretted it. I guess what I'm trying to say is we are going to see a wide variation in styles and fashion on those evenings, but as long as we make an attempt to dress as if we are going to a nice party I doubt that anyone would criticize. I won't even address the opinion often expressed on these boards that "I paid for the damn cruise and I'll wear what I want". It's an attitude I just don't understand. Thanks for letting me speak my piece.

Whether we like it or not, formal nights are already optional on most cruiselines in that there are alternatives for those who don't wish to dress formally. Speaking strictly for myself, I take full advantage of those alternatives. As I've said elsewhere on these boards, dressing up is a lot like having children: don't wanna, don't hafta, ain't gonna! I doubt I'll ever darken the door of a dining room on formal night on any future cruise.

buckirj1, I don't get all twisted up because of what other people wear, but I will state that my kids, 17 (daughter) and 20 (son) both enjoy getting dressed nicely. I hardly think that dressing for an event is hardly antiquated or ever will be.

That you don't care to attend is of course your choice, but keep in mind you are missing out on a lovely event. Just like having children :)

That you don't care to attend is of course your choice, but keep in mind you are missing out on a lovely event. Just like having children :)

Not so much missing out as much as having gotten past formal nights. I did my share, and simply don't want to do any more of them. For that matter, the main dining room is too much trouble on some nights. The buffet suits me.

As for the children thing, I can't see it as missing out and never have. I'm what you call an early articulator, and announced my childfree state at around age 7. Nothing has ever changed my mind :)

Since every night at home is shorts, jeans and even the dreaded housecoat for dinner or work clothes if eating out - we look forward to dressing up for dinner on the cruise.

We get to be waited on, have food served that we would not cook at home, have conversation with others - so we enjoy making the effort to make each night just a little special. We like to be around people who are making the same effort.

Austin is so casual these days - no one dresses up for anything - not even weddings and funerals (except for the absolute no-no black coctail dress - at a FUNERAL!). I have even begun to dread the holidays because family members can't even manage to "sort of dress" for the big dinner.

Some of us just actually do enjoy making an effort to enhance the experience. Whatever floats your boat!

Well Said!!

Archived