Formal dress optional

mmpadp

[

So in summary, we respectfully request that those who feel more comfortable in something other than formal wear, please allow us to prance, dance, and drink tea with our pinky fingers held out, just for this ONE evening, and we promise to welcome you with open arms back into the dining room any other time your heart desires. All we ask is that you allow us to live our delusions and fantasies just for a few hours. And we thank you profusely for your kindness and understanding.;)

Amen!! :D

No one says you have to attend the formal nights in the dining room. Most ships have plenty of alternative places to eat and some lines like Norweigian and Carnival, it is optional in the main dining room. We don't bring formal clothing anymore but instead dine in another venue those nights. I wouldn't wear casual clothing though in the dining room. "smart casual should be just fine on formal night" really doesn't make much sense does it? Just go somewhere else that night.

Actually when we were on the NCL Pearl last year, one main dining groom was formal on formal night, (Summer Palace)the other, (Indigo Room) along with the pay extra, specialty restaurants were not. Also, jeans were allowed in the Indigo Room and specialty restaurants, but not the Summer Palace.

I thought that the prefect solution. For those who want to dress up, they had the ambiance in the Summer Palace. Those that didn't still got the same food in the Indigo Room. (the two dinning rooms shared a galley)

It seemed to me, that cruise, people on the whole dressed better. We actually saw smart casual in the evenings (those that did not participate in formal night, and almost all on other nights) instead of cut-offs and shorts, tees, baseball caps,etc.

I do believe that if we are asked to stay within certain guidelines set forth by the cruise line then we should, out of respect for our fellow passengers. That said, I think some of the confusion is in regard to the use of the term "formal". As a woman of a certain age (okay, 61), I grew up in an era where formal was very specific. As a matter of fact, an invitation to a wedding, fancy ball, etc., stated white tie, black tie, or semi-formal. With the first two, women were expected to wear evening gowns, but semi-formal meant a black suit for men and cocktail dresses for women. There were no options in between; thus, no confusion. Well, then the 60s came around and all bets were off. Tuxedos came in every color of the rainbow. I still get a little nauseated when I think of those powder blue tuxes that started to show up in wedding parties. But I got over it and accepted that fashions change. However, we are still seeing the designation "formal night", and that seems to mean different things to different generations. On my first cruise I panicked. I thought everyone was going to look like Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr in that movie "An Affair to Remember". After reading the guidelines for "formal" night I realized it simply meant to dress up and look nice, but I was still afraid that if I didn't show up in an evening gown I would be denied admission to the dining room. I love how adorable young women look in fancy jeans/shorts and sparkly tops with heels, but we still are confused as to whether it's appropriate for the dining room on formal nights. Dressing up for dinner a couple of times during a cruise makes the experience more special. I skipped it on my Alaska cruise and regretted it. I guess what I'm trying to say is we are going to see a wide variation in styles and fashion on those evenings, but as long as we make an attempt to dress as if we are going to a nice party I doubt that anyone would criticize. I won't even address the opinion often expressed on these boards that "I paid for the damn cruise and I'll wear what I want". It's an attitude I just don't understand. Thanks for letting me speak my piece.

"An affair to Remember," and "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes." Boy, they really dressed for those ocean liners. And even Julie on Love Boat always wore evening gowns to dinner didn't she?

I agree with the OP that felt the term "formal" might mean different things to different generations. It reminds me of a time in my career when I was a Personnel Recruiter - and had volunteered to do "mock interviews" with a local high school business class. They were told to bring their resume' and dress "professionally", as if for an interview. Wouldn't you know one young woman showed up in a teeny-tiny red satin dress, matching 4" red stilleto heels, fishnet stockings, and enough make-up and perfume to stock a department store make-up counter. Not quite the "profession" we had in mind!;)

So yes, I think the term "formal night" could be interpreted in many different ways!

I'm going on my first cruise in January and can't wait to get dressed up - we have so few opportunities her where we live - I could do formal every night!!

I'm the same way. This is my first cruise and I am really looking forward to getting dressed up. I had so much fun shopping for the perfect dress to wear. I tried on about 15 dresses till I found the "One".

just got back from PC sailing on the NCL STAR and this was the least i have seen people DRESSED-UP on the DRESS-UP or NOT nites....you saw EVERYTHING from long dresses to tops and capris for women and SUITs to

Jeans and shirt for the men...all other nights almost anything was accepted in any of the dining areas...well not swimsuits:D

as for the flip-flops...there are so many kinds out there and you would be surprised how many were wearing a dressy type with the dresses or slacks....for me they SAVED me from going barefoot as my shoes were not fitting well and very uncomfortable...even ones that i took specificaly for my swelling feet...my flipflops ...gold/turq and black all with glitter or sparkles on them even got favorable comments ...i was very comfortable and so were my feet and never felt dressed-down when i had them on:)

• 2 weeks later...
just got back from PC sailing on the NCL STAR and this was the least i have seen people DRESSED-UP on the DRESS-UP or NOT nites....you saw EVERYTHING from long dresses to tops and capris for women and SUITs to

Jeans and shirt for the men...all other nights almost anything was accepted in any of the dining areas...well not swimsuits:D

as for the flip-flops...there are so many kinds out there and you would be surprised how many were wearing a dressy type with the dresses or slacks....for me they SAVED me from going barefoot as my shoes were not fitting well and very uncomfortable...even ones that i took specificaly for my swelling feet...my flipflops ...gold/turq and black all with glitter or sparkles on them even got favorable comments ...i was very comfortable and so were my feet and never felt dressed-down when i had them on:)

Good point, Starfish (about the dressy flip-flops). In the warm weather climates, I too have had problems with swelling feet - and have struggled to be on my feet just long enough to get through dinner in dress shoes. Flip Flops would have been a real blessing. I think as long as they are dressy and glitzy (not the rubber shower-shoe type), they look just as nice as dress sandals.

I agree with the OP that felt the term "formal" might mean different things to different generations.

True but since I think most here are talking about formal on cruise ships, any line that we've been on that has a designated formal night always listed in their info what they considered to be acceptable formal wear.

It reminds me of a time in my career when I was a Personnel Recruiter - and had volunteered to do "mock interviews" with a local high school business class. They were told to bring their resume' and dress "professionally", as if for an interview. Wouldn't you know one young woman showed up in a teeny-tiny red satin dress, matching 4" red stilleto heels, fishnet stockings, and enough make-up and perfume to stock a department store make-up counter. Not quite the "profession" we had in mind!;)

So yes, I think the term "formal night" could be interpreted in many different ways!

Oh my! I hope you educated her.:)

I love formal night, it's the best part. Most people don't get to dress up on a regular basis. If you don't like it you can chose to elsewhere, thats the good thing about a cruise you have plenty of options.

Why do those who don't like to dress formally have to go elsewhere? We like lobster and prime rib too. Besides as one earlier poster said "dancing and singing waiters, and patrons waving napkins in the air" isn't exactly elegant dining.

True but since I think most here are talking about formal on cruise ships, any line that we've been on that has a designated formal night always listed in their info what they considered to be acceptable formal wear.

Oh my! I hope you educated her.:)

I did indeed educate her - but the REAL education probably should have been directed at the parents.:rolleyes:

At sixty-three (which I'll turn on my cruise next Saturday) and after years of dressing in my formal attire for the two formal dinners on my cruises . . . this time, I'm going casual. Mind you . . . I won't be eating in the dining room . . . I'll grab something to eat at the Lido Buffet. Maybe it would be different if I was traveling with a husband or someone special . . . but since 2003 . . . I've cruised alone. I just don't get the same "thrill" I used to. With the predictions of chilly weather, I'll be bringing an extra sweater or two instead of formal attire.

Why do those who don't like to dress formally have to go elsewhere? We like lobster and prime rib too. Besides as one earlier poster said "dancing and singing waiters, and patrons waving napkins in the air" isn't exactly elegant dining.

Im almost positive the waving of napkins to your waiters and MDR staff is an act of gratitude. It is a salute to your dining room staff.

I love getting dressed up and also love people watching when every one is in their finest!

It is a fun part of the cruise for me!

Some like to do the gym with all the right clothes and required shoes, I don't want to lug the heavy sneakers just for a few times I would use the gym, so I just do some thing else.

So glad we all have the ability to chose!

I love getting dressed up-as usually I am in barn/riding clothes.

HOWEVER, the last two weddings I have been to, and dressed for, the air conditioning was so cold that I wanted to leave.

I fear I will find this on the ship, and will choose to eat in an outdoor setting no matter what clothing I bring.

I cannot stand air conditioning!

Some people enjoy prancing around in formal wear, showing off how pretty/handsome they look, and posing for pictures in the rediculous and unnatural poses those silly ship photographers like to put them in. ;) I happen to be one of these people and I am very proud of it! :D And I hope I can be so presumptuous as to speak for at least some (but certainly not all) of those who do enjoy participating in formal night. We painstakingly pluck, tuck, trim, and shave...to look our best for formal night and all we ask in return is that the "enchantment" of the evening not be lessened by passengers in more casual clothing in the dining room. (Not admitting to anything here, but some of us, ...ah hem... may for example, enjoy pretending we are royalty, or living the lifestyle of the rich and famous! Again, NOT admitting, I'm just sayin'!....:D)

So in summary, we respectfully request that those who feel more comfortable in something other than formal wear, please allow us to prance, dance, and drink tea with our pinky fingers held out, just for this ONE evening, and we promise to welcome you with open arms back into the dining room any other time your heart desires. All we ask is that you allow us to live our delusions and fantasies just for a few hours. And we thank you profusely for your kindness and understanding.;)

YEA!!!!! Excellent!

And, I do understand that passengers who would like the same meal should not be deprived of that choice (I didn't realize that those who ate elsewhere didn't have the same menu options)...just like those who like formal should not be deprived of our fairy tale evening. (On our first cruise, my best friend was disappointed that there was no afternoon stroll around the promenade deck with ladies carrying parasols...talk about fairy tale!) If the cruise line makes formal evening optional, the best solution seems to be the one mentioned earlier that offered the same dining/menu, but in a more casual atmosphere.

Archived