18 passengers of RCI and DCL robbed at gunpoint

flagger

If you are not on the ship when it sails your passport comes off and goes to ship's agent to be reunited with you. Better this than having it stolen.

Susan

How will they know where it is? I've never had my passport collected by the ship, so they wouldn't know whether it was with me, in my safe or carelessly tossed on the desk (never)

I honestly believe the odds are much much much much higher for me of being robbed (most likely pickpocket)than arrested.Never take more into port than what you need like one credit card and small amount of cash and stay away from shady places just like at home

:cj

I don't think any of the odds are high, thankfully. And I agree with your last statement completely (although I'd add passport to what I "need" in most cases:)).

I doubt that the people who signed up for the tour knew that it was in a "shady" place, though. And once they got there, even if they felt uneasy, there wouldn't be anything they could do about getting out of there, either.

We do mostly independent travel in port (another reason to carry the passport since the ship won't wait for us if we're delayed, a risk we're willing to take), and have relied heavily on CC recommendations. I like to think that people would post if they felt uncomfortable in a location, and would certainly take that into account when deciding what to do.

I never bring my passport with me when I leave the ship. In fact, the only valuable item I ever bring with me is my camera and DH carries our credit card and MINIMAL cash. All of those things we would gladly part with for our safety. We can always cancel the credit card, $20 cash is no big deal, and cameras can be replaced.

This is a super scary situation. I am glad I have never experienced anything like this!

I do the same and bring very little with us. As you mentioned though it is scary and just as in the US, the thugs could have gotten mad because you did not have anything. They were lucky when someone has a gun. Many things can happen and most of them are not good.

Sorry to read that RCI did not respond in the best manner.

In my world there is a BIG difference between instinct and fear

Following instinct means I take precaution...

My instincts told me a year or so ago that I've seen enough of the Caribbean in my lifetime. Have NO desire to visit any of the Caribbean ports ever again. Not afraid...just bored, disgusted, and tired of the hassles in/on many of the islands.

I, too, intend to live my life to the fullest...elsewhere. ;)

In my world there is a BIG difference between instinct and fear

Following instinct means I take precaution, always looking twice, and glancing once. Following fear is staying put because of what 'may' happen. Do I refuse to leave my house the next time something bad happens in my neighborhood? Only, if I was looking for a reason to stay in this lovely mansion of mine:D;)

nt;)

No Kidding .Who are you to judge someone having unwarranted fear?:rolleyes: Don't you think that most people take the same precautions as you? Perhaps you are being careless and the ones you constantly misjudge are exercising reasonable caution

:cj

If you are not on the ship when it sails your passport comes off and goes to ship's agent to be reunited with you. Better this than having it stolen.

Susan

Really? :rolleyes: How do they know you are not going to make the ship at the last minute? As they get ready to cast off someone runs up to your cabin assuming that you may not have your passport, opens the safe, checks all the drawers, the suitcases under the bed just in case you didn't take your passport ashore? Might happen if the purser is holding your passport, otherwise, I don't think so.

My passport goes where I go. If I lose it or it's stolen, we'll work that out back in Miami, Lauderdale or Canaveral if I'm sailing in the Caribbean.

This is really getting scary. Just a couple of weeks ago, a man was murdeed from the NCL Spirit, i believe, and some people were robbed. This was in Guatamala. Too many things like this going on. i think the cruiselines have to start rethinking stopping at some of these ports for the safety of their passengers

What happened in Nassau could happen anywhere in the world. As sad as it is, that's just life. Why hurt the honest people of Nassau that depend on our dollars to feed and clothe their familes due to one or two's actions? I have been to Nassau many, many times and never felt in danger or threatened. Actually I feel that the city I live in is more dangerous that most Caribbean islands.

Totally agree! We go to NYC and live near Pittsburgh...doesn't stop us from going there. And I guarantee this kind of thing happens every day here. Not just once or twice.

I love Nassau and will happily "get off the ship" the next time we dock there.

And as far as the passports and credit cards, that's common sense to me.

I don't think anyone disputes that this sort of thing can happen anywhere. Does that really even need to be said?

Yes, being robbed at gunpoint can happen in the U.S. Because of that, I do not intentionally go in to areas where that sort of violence is common. There are parts of my hometown, Miami, that if I rode into them on a segway, I would likely get shot just for looking stupid. :rolleyes:;)

That's why it's good to know when this sort of thing happens in travel destinations. This way, people can make an educated decision whether or not they want to visit that particular part of the island. If these gunmen were not caught, it will likely happen again.

This is so sad, we did this excursion in September and had a wonderful time, the guys were lovely.

We will be back in Nassau Christmas week and planning on taking a cab to Comfort Suite and then spending the day at the Atlantis. I think as long as we use common sense we are probably as safe as when we go to a Tigers game in Detroit.

Totally agree! We go to NYC and live near Pittsburgh...doesn't stop us from going there. And I guarantee this kind of thing happens every day here. Not just once or twice.

I love Nassau and will happily "get off the ship" the next time we dock there.

And as far as the passports and credit cards, that's common sense to me.

Lol - no - lived in NYC and now live 20 minutes over to NJ and no, we don't have men with machine guns surrounding and robbing the many, many groups of tourists that are here - and certainly not every day!:p Holy cow! You would hear about it non-stop. Can you please show me where men with machine guns have robbed goups of organized tours in NYC or Pburg 'every day'? I'll even settle for the 'once or twice'!:D Sorry - not trying to pick on you because I really do like your posts and you! But that just made me laugh out loud - that does NOT happen every day here!

This is not a simple mugging - this is machine gun in your face while on an organized tour robbery - very, very different.

We will be back in Nassau Christmas week and planning on taking a cab to Comfort Suite and then spending the day at the Atlantis. I think as long as we use common sense we are probably as safe as when we go to a Tigers game in Detroit.

You're probably spot-on.

Detroit & Gary, Indiana perennially fight it out for being #1 for violent crime in the US per capita.:rolleyes:

You're probably spot-on.

Detroit & Gary, Indiana perennially fight it out for being #1 for violent crime in the US per capita.:rolleyes:

Talk about coincidence, I just went onto Comcast home page and they have a list of America's Most Dangerous Cities. Gary, Ind 11th, Flint, MI 5th (we live 15 mins from there in a lovely low crime city), Detroit 4th and in 1st place Camden, NJ.

We arrived in Nassau aboard the Carnival Fascination on Saturday, November 21 - less than 24 hours AFTER the Segway robbery.

We were booked on the Segway excursion but were told NOTHING of the previous day's events. A total of 8 people loaded into a taxi and were taken to the Segway warehouse where we rode around in circles in the parking lot before taking off down the street in TRAFFIC to a small public park. We were then made to stop at a crappy market AND take a forced tour of Fort Charlotte. We then took the Segways through a tiny, nasty, locked park before heading back to the warehouse. Total time on the Segways: 20 minutes of a 2-hour, $94/person excursion.

We then spent most of the next day filing complaints with an indifferent Excursion Host AND Guest Services before eventually receiving a full refund for the excursion. We were told the excursion had "changed", but were offered no further explanation.

We did NOT find out about the previous-day's robbery until we arrived home and began some internet research.

Carnival, being responsible for the safety of their CUSTOMERS, should have known of the incident and notified those on the excursion.

We're done! Stay in the US and put your cash back in our own economy. Your neighbors will thank you!

We arrived in Nassau aboard the Carnival Fascination on Saturday, November 21 - less than 24 hours AFTER the Segway robbery.

We were booked on the Segway excursion but were told NOTHING of the previous day's events. A total of 8 people loaded into a taxi and were taken to the Segway warehouse where we rode around in circles in the parking lot before taking off down the street in TRAFFIC to a small public park. We were then made to stop at a crappy market AND take a forced tour of Fort Charlotte. We then took the Segways through a tiny, nasty, locked park before heading back to the warehouse. Total time on the Segways: 20 minutes of a 2-hour, $94/person excursion.

We then spent most of the next day filing complaints with an indifferent Excursion Host AND Guest Services before eventually receiving a full refund for the excursion. We were told the excursion had "changed", but were offered no further explanation.

We did NOT find out about the previous-day's robbery until we arrived home and began some internet research.

Carnival, being responsible for the safety of their CUSTOMERS, should have known of the incident and notified those on the excursion.

We're done! Stay in the US and put your cash back in our own economy. Your neighbors will thank you!

Welcome to Cruise Critic :)

There are lots of places to visit in the US and I'm sure you will find pleasure in your future travel.

You actually think a cruiseline should publish a rap sheet for each of your stops to all the crimes occuring the day before?

Yeah, OK.

Your US sheet would well exceed anything you can possibly imagine "overseas", starting with your own town.

Really? Guns in tourists faces?

Try taking a sequey tour.... better yet make a wrong turn going to the port of Miami and drive through Overtown or Liberty City. Many a tourist shot, killed and robbed.

Same holds true in sections of Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx, so don't make the wrong turn going into Manhattan from LGA or JFK.

While we're at it, do you think the French Quarter is totally safe? Lot's of tourists/cruisers hanging out there on Friday and Saturday nights.

How about LAX to San Pedro. Don't go too far down Century... and even if you stay west of the 405 freeway, you better not get off of the 110 on the way to the port.

Shall I go on? Barcelona, Rome, Paris, Buenos Aires, Mexico City.....

Point is, crime is everywhere and although we certainly don't seek it out, it can happen.

The poorer the area, the more desperate the people. The more desperate the people, the more dramatic the actions.

To the poster I quoted... you'd think with 15k posts here, you would either be well traveled or very lucky when you do.

You actually think a cruiseline should publish a rap sheet for each of your stops to all the crimes occuring the day before?

Yeah, OK.

Your US sheet would well exceed anything you can possibly imagine "overseas", starting with your own town.

Actually, if the cruise line wants to be truly responsible and look out for their guests safety, perhaps it should (for those pax with no common sense) publish a safety reminder and tips of areas to avoid while in port?

Try taking a sequey tour.... better yet make a wrong turn going to the port of Miami and drive through Overtown or Liberty City. Many a tourist shot, killed and robbed.

Same holds true in sections of Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx, so don't make the wrong turn going into Manhattan from LGA or JFK.

While we're at it, do you think the French Quarter is totally safe? Lot's of tourists/cruisers hanging out there on Friday and Saturday nights.

How about LAX to San Pedro. Don't go too far down Century... and even if you stay west of the 405 freeway, you better not get off of the 110 on the way to the port.

Shall I go on? Barcelona, Rome, Paris, Buenos Aires, Mexico City.....

Point is, crime is everywhere and although we certainly don't seek it out, it can happen.

The poorer the area, the more desperate the people. The more desperate the people, the more dramatic the actions.

To the poster I quoted... you'd think with 15k posts here, you would either be well traveled or very lucky when you do.

Being I've been here almost 13 years, I've very RARELY read of theft with guns. Pickpockets, things "lost", yes, but not at gunpoint.

I would imagine that would change ones life forever. I know it did to an ex roommate, at his job, in America. No one gave him a safety reminder.

Not a "rap sheet for each stop..." but I darn well believe that if a ship's tour group was victimized in such a dangerous way THE DAY BEFORE, that either the tour should be cancelled or the participants should be given the knowledge of the event and the option to cancel.

I agre with you. imo, Carnival did not handle this as well as they could have/should have.

And, you've come to the same conclusion that our family has. I have no desire or intention to ever go to the Caribbean again. In fact, we've visited some really lovely places here in the US over the past couple years that we've always had on a "to visit" list. They always seemed to get pushed aside as we ended up opting for cruises. Sorry I didn't visit some of those places much sooner!

Glad you were safe on your trip.

Archived