Best time to go to Europe?

California Traveler

We are considering a River Cruise next year or perhaps 2011... My husband heard that the summer months are not a good time due to the tourist season & crowding (who does he think we are?):confused: I rather not go in the fall or in the cooler/rainy weather. Is this really a big issue for the river cruises - large crowds??? I'm leaning towards the first week of Sept. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Calif :p

The crowds may be higher in the towns you visit in the summer - and I believe some businesses close in the summer.

I have been to Europe 4 times - 3 times in the fall (Sept & October) and once in early July.

My favorite time was early to mid-Sept. Still warm enough to enjoy the outdoors - without sweltering heat. Our last trip was from Oct 2-16th - and I think I would plan to go a week or two earlier (if possible) for the next trip.

I like to avoid July and August but love the last 2 weeks of May, June and the first 2 weeks of September for river cruising.

Actually I love Europe so much that I would go no matter when and so if I can get a $350.00 plane ticket anytime I 'm gone.:D

I live in Europe (switzerland) and my favourite time of year to travel anywhere around here is late September early October. why?

- the bulk of the summer tourists have gone home

- the weather is generally good at this time of year - warm sunny days, cool nights

- the grapes are being harvested and the mountains are changing colour

My husband and I have done two river cruises - one on the Danube and one on the Elbe, both of them in early October. The weather was great and one of the most memorable sights were the vineyards cascading down to the Danube all golden in the sunshine!!

Thank you all for your responses - especially Hambagahle. The fall colors along the rivers sound wonderful. We do not see much of it in California like we did in upstate NY. Well I guess we could if we took vacation and drove up north. :p This will be a very different vacation for us for we always travel to beach locations and use carry on luggage. This time we have to pack a variety of clothes for the weather changes and take a larger suitcase. I know it will be worth it. :)

Calif.

I think a lot of it depends on your personal preferences and the goals of your trip, and also where in Europe you plan to vacation. Obviously your choice months will be different in Northern Europe versus the Med and Southern European locations. If your goal is to hit some German Christmas markets, obviously you can't go in August. September and October are great for wine and beer fests, there are many activities to pursue in the springtime as well.

I lived in central Europe for a number of years, and I can honestly say I had a great time during every season. But then again, I don't mind colder weather, so a trip to Germany in December appeals to me just as much as Athens in July.

My suggestion would be to take a look at your personal situation and then match your likes and dislikes to what's available. For instance, if you hate the sweltering heat, I'd avoid Athens in July; if you hate damp cold, don't do Germany in December. You can get a good idea of the average temps by Googling your potential destinations. Then take a look at different itineraries and see what cultural events may coincide with trip dates. . .

My wife and I think that planning out the trip is half the fun (I know, we're weird! :p) and frankly, we have made some odd trips. But we've loved them all.

Sorry about being so long-winded - I guess you can boil it down to "there's no best or worst time to visit Europe; rather, it's what you want to get out of the trip and what fits you best."

Hope this helped, and enjoy whatever trip you decide on!!

Archived