So embarassed to ask, but gonna do it anyway

Renorita

What the heck is a cruise to nowhere, and why is it called that, when people are definitely going somewhere? Are they cheaper? Do people know where they are going before the cruise starts, or just the number of days and the port they are leaving from. Okay you all can laugh at me now! ;)

Renorita, nothing to laugh at whatsoever. A cruise to nowhere is usually a 1 or 2 night cruise where all you do is leave from a port, go to sea, and return 2 days later. There are no ports of call, just sea days. They are usually cheaper than a 3 day cruise and what not.

Don't ever be embarassed to ask a legitimate question. That's how we learn. A "cruise to nowhere" can often also be a repositioning cruise. On HAL's website, under destinations, you can click on "Coastal" and see them. The Zaandam, for instance, will reposition itself from the Caribbean to Alaska itineraries in May. Once the cruise through the Panama Canal ends in LA, the ship will disembark passengers then head for Vancouver where it will begin it's Alaska sailings. For the Zaandam, there is one port call in Oregon. The coastal cruises range from 2 to 5 or 6 days, and are good for folks who want a quick getaway or who want to see how they like cruising without having to commit to 10 days on board ship.

Thank you for your replies, but now I am more confused then ever! :confused: Rescue says there are no ports of call, which makes sense if it is a Cruise to Nowhere, but jhannah mentions coastal cruises which includes ports. We are considering a 6 night "Pacific Coast" Cruise on the "Infinity" (never been on Celebrity before), from Vancouver B.C. to S.F. This has several ports, so this is this a Cruise to nowhere or just a fairly short cruise?

I guess "Cruise to Nowhere" is simply an expression. No cruise truly goes nowhere ... unless the unthinkable happens. ;) It's semantics, I suppose. A repo cruise is the more accurate description in the cases where there are ports of call between embarkation and disembarkation. But it's not like a "regular" cruise that goes "somewhere" like to the Caribbean or the Mediterranean. A cruise to nowhere descriptor would probably best fit a cruise that just went out to sea for a day or several days to "kill time" before the ship set out on its next major itinerary.

dot73 and Himself, I'm with you!! Book me now!

Gosh I hate to do this, but actually Cruise to Nowhere really is to nowhere. That's why it's called that. Repositioning cruises are called just that "Repos". A legit "cruise to nowhere" means it goes out to sea and returns. It stops at no ports.

dot73 and Himself, I'm with you!! Book me now!

Gosh I hate to do this, but actually Cruise to Nowhere really is to nowhere. That's why it's called that. Repositioning cruises are called just that "Repos". A legit "cruise to nowhere" means it goes out to sea and returns. It stops at no ports.

Heather, that sounds good to us! :) We like the Sea Days, so may have to try one. I also like the sound of 10 days on the Carribean with no ports except Half Moon Cay. Of course we have never been there, but have heard it is really nice.

Thank you for your replies, but now I am more confused then ever! :confused: Rescue says there are no ports of call, which makes sense if it is a Cruise to Nowhere, but jhannah mentions coastal cruises which includes ports.
I wouldn't describe a repositioning cruise as a cruise to nowhere, even if there are no intermediate points. A cruise to nowhere should be a cruise that starts in a port, stops nowhere else and comes back to that port.

Of course, if you like a cruise to nowhere, you can turn any round-trip cruise into one by not getting off the ship. I've got very close more than once.

Archived