Why do some people take any criticism of the Dream so personally??

Jeafl

First of all, I am a Carnival lover, although I have sailed on several other cruise lines as well. I think Carnival has a great product for the money and will continue to book cruises with them.

Having said that, Carnival is a corporation, and no corporation is perfect all the time. It just amazes me that the people who have sailed the Dream and posted their honest observations are continually blasted for having the audacity to say that something wasn't quite perfect with the ship. It is especially troubling when the same complaints are voiced over and over again. That alone tells me that it may just be a legitimate concern. I especially respect the opinion of people like Host Mach who give the good along with the bad. A fair and balanced review is something I always give more creedence to.

However, I keep seeing certain people repeatedly swearing up and down that there is NOTHING wrong with the ship and if someone dares to complain that must mean there is something wrong with that person. They take any criticism of Carnival like they are being personally attacked. Is this website not Cruiise CRITIC? I thought the purpose of these boards was to discuss the good AND the bad, and to critique your cruises, not to only praise Carnival like it's the second coming of Jesus.

What I also find puzzling is the middle school mentality of some posters. You know, the ones that feel you can't like more than one cruise line at a time. If you say a kind word about RCI that must mean you hate Carnival. It really is ludicrous. Honestly, it is possible to like both. I find it quite amusing that any criticism of the Dream is immediately met with "Just wait until you see how horrible it will be on the Oasis...". The Oasis may very well be the downfall of Royal Caribbean. I just think that we should all wait until the reviews come in before condemning it. They may end up surprising us all.

First of all, I am a Carnival lover, although I have sailed on several other cruise lines as well. I think Carnival has a great product for the money and will continue to book cruises with them.

Having said that, Carnival is a corporation, and no corporation is perfect all the time. It just amazes me that the people who have sailed the Dream and posted their honest observations are continually blasted for having the audacity to say that something wasn't quite perfect with the ship. It is especially troubling when the same complaints are voiced over and over again. That alone tells me that it may just be a legitimate concern. I especially respect the opinion of people like Host Mach who give the good along with the bad. A fair and balanced review is something I always give more creedence to.

However, I keep seeing certain people repeatedly swearing up and down that there is NOTHING wrong with the ship and if someone dares to complain that must mean there is something wrong with that person. They take any criticism of Carnival like they are being personally attacked. Is this website not Cruiise CRITIC? I thought the purpose of these boards was to discuss the good AND the bad, and to critique your cruises, not to only praise Carnival like it's the second coming of Jesus.

What I also find puzzling is the middle school mentality of some posters. You know, the ones that feel you can't like more than one cruise line at a time. If you say a kind word about RCI that must mean you hate Carnival. It really is ludicrous. Honestly, it is possible to like both. I find it quite amusing that any criticism of the Dream is immediately met with "Just wait until you see how horrible it will be on the Oasis...". The Oasis may very well be the downfall of Royal Caribbean. I just think that we should all wait until the reviews come in before condemning it. They may end up surprising us all.

LOL, I thought the same thing when I read that post since I think I was the one that person was talking to LOL Anyway, I LOVE RCCL (haven't tried CCL until next August) but I can tell you business is business and if something were wrong or people were coming back with the same complaints AND I HAVEN'T EVEN SAILED ON THE SHIP IN QUESTION, how the heck and why would I champion for something that I haven't yet sailed.

Anyway, there are a lot of good reviews too so will go in with a happy attitude and work from there. Funny, I really was just thinking the same as you.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Some are having a hard time accepting that Carnival doesn't do

large ships as well as some others. :eek:

It's not just Carnival fans who suffer from the insanely illogical "cruise line pride" syndrome. Take a look at the RCCL board, it's just as rampant over there.

I for one don't understand it. I like Carnival, really well in fact, but I've certainly seen places where they can improve.

I don't think it has to do with not wanting to hear negative, but rather those that seem to stretch things out way tooooooo much.

Comments like ALL staff members were rude, there is absolutely no way they met every staff member nor would I believe for one second that they were all rude. Same comments were made about staff members on the Pride, on my sailing I didn't meet one single staff member that didnt say hello, good morning, etc. Only had one bartender that just wasn't as friendly as others.

40 minute wait in a buffet line - who on here doesn't think that is an extreme over exaggeration. I know exactly this kind of person they have no patience and they over imagine how long they wait. My BIL is the same way, he will wait 10 minutes and swear it was 30 and complain the entire time. If you don't have the patience then go to the dining room to eat your meals or don't eat at the main lunch times.

There are just certain things to be expected, I don't think any cruise line can claim that they have no wait for anything at all. It just isn't possible.

I for one have never had a perfect cruise, but I certainly don't complain about every little thing under the sun either. You have to have realistic expectations not something outlandish.

I agree with the OP 100%. Some folks amaze me with their comments! I love Carnival, and their ships, but I too have serious doubts about "Dream". If it turns out that I don't like the ship, I'll simply continue to sail the Spirit class ships, which happen to be my favorites.

Same thing with RCI! If you say anything negative at all about "Oasis", you're automatically a RAT! I love the smaller RCI ships, but don't like the big ships. I'm a "spy" from the "other side" according to some people. :eek:

Well, I agree with what they say in the automobile business.

"There's an @ss for every seat" :D

"SKY"

Legitimate complaints are one thing. But I'm finding that several people are trashing the Dream because of a few things that have gone wrong or perhaps aren't quite up to par.

I just came off her yesterday and noted many of the same negative things that have already been posted. But there was so many wonderful things about her also.

Too many people expect the cruise experience to be perfect and think that any bump in the road is a a major obstacle to their enjoyment.

Letting the bad stuff get you down only ruins your entire vacation. If something goes wrong or is not to your liking, have it corrected if you can or get over it and move on to something else if you can't. Dwelling on it will only make you miserable.

I don't know about anyone else, but I work too hard for my money to let something like a slow buffet line ruin my well deserved vacation.

It's not just Carnival fans who suffer from the insanely illogical "cruise line pride" syndrome. Take a look at the RCCL board, it's just as rampant over there.

I for one don't understand it. I like Carnival, really well in fact, but I've certainly seen places where they can improve.

I would say every cruise line can improve somewhere, I haven't read a ship review yet that someone didn't have negatives. That being said you have to take them with a grain of salt and know what is ridiculous and what isn't. I have only sailed Carnival and Princess, each had aspects I liked and some I didn't like. However none of my dislikes would I call severe negatives that should keep others from cruising. I am also open to sailing on any cruise line.

I don't get it either but having said that, I have a cruise booked on her in Feb with my cousin and her boyfriend. The problem this will be their 2nd cruise the 1st was the swine flu cruise to nowhere back in April so for them \I want it to be a great experience.

Ive only sailed carnival, mainly because of price....but they badly need a new clean sheet design for a larger ship. They keep making ships slightly bigger but with disproportionate increases in passenger numbers.

Destiny Class:

101,000 Tons 2600 passengers

Conquest Class:

110,000 Tons (9% increase) 2974 passengers (14% increase)

Dream Class:

130,000 tons (18% increase) 3652 passengers (23% increase)

This is not a good trend. I was on destiny 10 years ago and it was crowded. To think the newer ships are worse is not encouraging.

I saw problems on the Dream but I don't think that they were design issues. Were there long lines at the buffet? Youdambetcha... There were tons of hungry folks on that ship who wanted to eat at the same time. That produces lines.

We saw the lines... shrugged our shoulders and got something to eat elsewhere.

Personally, I didn't see any rude staff members. To me, they were typical, smiling Carnival employees. Perhaps some of the rudeness that folks encountered was a reflection.

Noise? Yeah, crashing dish carts overhead probably would have woken me up if I wasn't already awake.

I can tell you this... for us, at least, the good far outweighed the bad.

I saw problems on the Dream but I don't think that they were design issues. Were there long lines at the buffet? Youdambetcha... There were tons of hungry folks on that ship who wanted to eat at the same time. That produces lines.

We saw the lines... shrugged our shoulders and got something to eat elsewhere.

That to me is poor design. They should have stations set up to help ease congestion instead of one starting point on either end.

Ive only sailed carnival, mainly because of price....but they badly need a new clean sheet design for a larger ship. They keep making ships slightly bigger but with disproportionate increases in passenger numbers.

Destiny Class:

101,000 Tons 2600 passengers

Conquest Class:

110,000 Tons (9% increase) 2974 passengers (14% increase)

Dream Class:

130,000 tons (18% increase) 3652 passengers (23% increase)

This is not a good trend. I was on destiny 10 years ago and it was crowded. To think the newer ships are worse is not encouraging.

I think a more telling stat is the passenger space ratio. That ratio is a statistical measurement that compares the total public space of a ship to it's passenger capacity. The number that results is the theoretical amount of public space allotted to each passenger. The higher the number the roomier the ship.

On the Dream it's 36 to 1, on the Conquest it's 37 to 1 but on the Fantasy Class it's 34 to 1. Many folks like the Fantasy Class above all the other Carnival ships.

The Spirit Class score the best of all Carnival ships at 41 to 1.

:)

That to me is poor design. They should have stations set up to help ease congestion instead of one starting point on either end.

Honestly, I can't agree with that. The buffets are ALWAYS going to be crowded at certain times of the day. This is only logical on a ship with 2000+ passengers, even those with smaller passenger compacities.

I just returned from a seven day sailing on the Valor on the 8th, and there were times when my husband and I ended up standing in line 15-20 minutes for certain buffet counters, especially the Fish and Chips and Mongolian Grill, both of which seemed to be crowded most of the time. But at other times, we only waited a minute or two. It's all about when you go.

I think the Dream is getting slammed more because of weather and overbooking in NYC than it will once out of PC. That's probably a corporate gaff: 1) not taking into consideration the potential for not so pleasant weather at launch and during inaugural cruises--all th eMed cruises and TA cruise had many poor weather days; and 2) not considering the viability of the port facilities in NYC to handle normal ship loading and overbooking of pax--all reviews of Med and TA crusies seemed to comment on the easy of embarkation, IIRC. Add that to the hype of a big new ship, more options and cruisers expectations rise. And if those expectations aren't met 150%, it's a disaster. Only takes one tiny thing to wreck that type of a mindset.

You get the same thing when you go to a new restaurant owned or ran by the latest hot foodie chef. Overbooking, poor service, etc. But as long as the food writers love the food, and the place isn't really trashed in Zagats, if you go 3 months after the opening, you'll have a great dinner!

Honestly, I can't agree with that. The buffets are ALWAYS going to be crowded at certain times of the day. This is only logical on a ship with 2000+ passengers, even those with smaller passenger compacities.

I just returned from a seven day sailing on the Valor on the 8th, and there were times when my husband and I ended up standing in line 15-20 minutes for certain buffet counters, especially the Fish and Chips and Mongolian Grill, both of which seemed to be crowded most of the time. But at other times, we only waited a minute or two. It's all about when you go.

Sure they'll be busy at certain times but that doesn't change the fact that there are better designs for handling crowd flow.

Stations don't help to ease congestion. I actually see the Carnival design as separate stations - deli, hamburgers, pizza, mongolian, were each a separate/different station. Each one had its own line and wait.

Now on Princess the buffet area was laid out in lots of mini stations - created mass confusion - which way in/out, where did lines begin and end, total mis organization which I would say would be the stations that you are suggesting that Carnival should have.

It's not just Carnival or RCCL, it's every line.

I have given up posting on the Princess boards, some of those people really need a reality check.

But yes, towards the Dream there are some on here that seem to be overly protective, when I started the thread pointing out that the deck 8 wraps were in fact not wraps....Well let's just say people told me I was wrong, just not in a nice way.

Of course once it was proved I was correct they disappeared to go badger another person, but hey what the heck, it's an internet forum, some people think they can't be wrong about anything, including the small fact that, no matter what, any new ship is going to need fixes.

I'm really excited to be sailing on the Dream in just a few days but at the same time our 9 day cruise is so port intensive (5 ports) that I'm not expecting as in the past that the MDR will be open during lunch.

I don't particularly care for the buffet experience but I guess I'll be finding some non-peak times to eat there when staying on the ship.

Archived