Thomson: An Unpleasant Destiny

We (my wife and I) have just returned from a 7 day cruise round the Mediterranean on Thomson Destiny. My advice would be to avoid this like the plague.

* The cabins are disgraceful, little better than ferry crossing standard - tiny space, paper thin walls, antiquated fixtures and fittings such as drawers that no longer close properly. We didn't expect Cunard standard, but there are certain minimum standards that should reasonably be expected on any ship and Destiny falls well below them. It is time to either upgrade or decommission the ship.

. * The food is poor - a basic and limited choice with no thought or sophistication. It was like eating in the works canteen, and there was no escape to an upgraded setting like Zilli's, which is available on Celebration.

. * The lido is not fit for purpose out of season - freezing cold, rain water seeping everywhere, whipped by winds. It was like eating in our own garden in winter - totally crazy.

* Smokers: I'm not sure if anything can be done about this, but walking the deck of shame past tables full of smokers was an appalling experience. Bite the bullet and banish smokers to outer decks!

* On the bright side, the entertainment team is excellent and the staff (as ever) are wonderfully charming.

Interesting comments. We are considering the Destiny for next year, having travelled on the Clebration, Spirit and Emerald in the past. Not sure if your comments are typical of Destiny travellers but we shall certainly bear them in mind.

Interesting comments. We are considering the Destiny for next year, having travelled on the Clebration, Spirit and Emerald in the past. Not sure if your comments are typical of Destiny travellers but we shall certainly bear them in mind.

Hi vwgolf: well, we have travelled on Destiny, Celebration and Spirit and can see where the poster is coming from - although these issues aren't such a negative that we wouldn't travel on Destiny again.

We often describe the Celebration/Spirit as 'tired old ladies' in terms of the dated nature of the cabins etc. but Destiny cabins do look more utilitarian, the walls seem very thin and the drawer space is poor and somewhat battered - and they do slide out in choppy conditions! We got round this by putting paper wedges in the drawers.

I do agree entirely about the semi-outside Lido restaurant. We found it not at all conducive to evening meals in the Med - draughty and rather basic. However, in the Caribbean it did come into it's own and with balmy evenings it was actually lovely to go for a drink at sit at the stern looking out over the sea. (Still didn't feel it was quite what we wanted for evening meal though.)

On our last trip we too felt the food wasn't quite up to the standard of previous cruises - but it's hard to compare.

We did have a great trip to the Caribbean last year and the destinations, atmosphere, service, entertainment were excellent so we overlooked the short comings of the ship. So on balance, given the right price and itinerary, we wouldn't rule out going on Destiny again - but the price is a critical one when you compare other offers out there!

The Destiny will be decomissioned by Thomson Cruises at the end of 2010. (alledgedly) So that will solve the problem. The ship is very tired but to be honest with you the finer points far outway the bad points. Done me proud for the past 2 years but im moving onto another ship next year.

Biee:D

We (my wife and I) have just returned from a 7 day cruise round the Mediterranean on Thomson Destiny. My advice would be to avoid this like the plague.

* The cabins are disgraceful, little better than ferry crossing standard - tiny space, paper thin walls, antiquated fixtures and fittings such as drawers that no longer close properly. We didn't expect Cunard standard, but there are certain minimum standards that should reasonably be expected on any ship and Destiny falls well below them. It is time to either upgrade or decommission the ship.

. * The food is poor - a basic and limited choice with no thought or sophistication. It was like eating in the works canteen, and there was no escape to an upgraded setting like Zilli's, which is available on Celebration.

. * The lido is not fit for purpose out of season - freezing cold, rain water seeping everywhere, whipped by winds. It was like eating in our own garden in winter - totally crazy.

* Smokers: I'm not sure if anything can be done about this, but walking the deck of shame past tables full of smokers was an appalling experience. Bite the bullet and banish smokers to outer decks!

* On the bright side, the entertainment team is excellent and the staff (as ever) are wonderfully charming.

I thought the ship was fine. The only thing I never liked was the fixed dinning. It was 80F when we where in the med so the Lido was great.

Sorry you never enjoyed it and I hope you have a better cruise next time.

Im starting to feel nervous now :confused: im off on the destiny in 10 days to the carribean. Hoping that it's not a bad experience as this will be our first cruise.

Hi, we're already booked on her for next Sept. but this has put us off too.

Considering moving it to the Spirit and doing Adriatic and Aegean instead.

Berwyn

Hi ginimad:)

We have been on the Destiny 3 times, the last time in March this year when we went to the Carribean, and we have booked again on the Destiny for March 2011 to the Caribbean again, so if she was that bad then we wouldn't keep on going on her (neither would others).

Don't just think about a negative report, look at all the positive ones - there are plenty of them. If you go on the Destiny knowing that the cabins are small and could do with updating, and she's not all glitz and glamour - then you will not be disappointed. The staff are absolutely outstanding and the itinerary you have chosen is absolutely fabulous (we did both weeks).

We've always found the food in the Lido fine. We never go in the Seven Seas as we like the idea of eating at whatever time we want and we are not into dressing up every evening, so the casual atmosphere suits us - but everyone is different.

Please don't spend the next 10 days worrying, I'm sure you will have a fabulous time. Let us know how you get on when you get back.

Janet

Im starting to feel nervous now :confused: im off on the destiny in 10 days to the carribean. Hoping that it's not a bad experience as this will be our first cruise.

Please don't worry - you will have a great time! Despite my minor 'criticisms', this is all relative. And to be really honest, I've mentioned things which I think could be better - but that's not to say we didn't have a fabulous trip, especially in the Caribbean. We travelled on a really flashy american ship where everything was 'new' and glitzy but I'd travel on Destiny any day in preference to that ship - and even pay more to do so! It was sterile - no atmosphere at all - I never felt at home! And the entertainment was dire! You can't say that about Destiny! :)

If you respond to warmth, atmosphere, a wonderful crew, superb entertainment and fabulous ports of call, you won't be disappointed. Go knowing the cabins aren't luxury - just fairly basic (but kept immaculately clean by the hard working stewards) and enjoy all the other aspects of your trip - which are really good.

If you haven't already read them, look at the reviews several of us wrote about both itineraries and the ship when we came back last year (in the 'Search this Forum' tool, put in 'Coral Islands' and separately 'Caribbean Gems' and 'Desiny Caribbean'). You should be able to pull up the threads and you will see that we all had a wonderful time. If you have problems finding them, get back and I'll post the links.

To put your mind at rest, with the right combination of circumstances, we would love to go back to the Caribbean (on the Destiny) and hope it may not be too long!! :D

The inclusion of the Costa Europa into the Thomson fleet is certainly the first step in the right direction. The Dream as it will be called is a very nicely laid out ship and if rumours are to be beleived the Costa Romantica is to follow in 2011. Both these '''''NEW''''' ship will add a little bit of magic to tired Thomsom fleet.

While I have loved almost all our cruises on Thomson, the Topaz being a great old fashioned ship the best.

However of late Thomsons prices are catching up with the others lines, and Costa are now cheaper at times, our next cruise is with Costa a suite and twelve days just over what Thomson asked for the same week on the Celebration AI.

I,m sure that you will have a fab time ,yes the ship is very tired but their are lots of things which make up for that go with the right outlook and you will be surprised :cool:

mrs.c

Thanks for all the reply's. Im sure we will have a lovely time it just shook me a bit to think we could be in for a dire holiday on a tatty ship lol. we are definately people who appreciate a good atmosphere and comfort over extreme glitz and glamour so hopefully we will fit in well. Can anyone advise wether i would need to pack some warmer clothes too? we are doing the 2 weeks tropical transatlantic. Still in hope of having some lovely rays of sunshine :-)

thanks lisa

We went to the Caribbean in November last year and didn't need any warm clothes. I even found my lined white linen trousers were too warm!! You could always take a Pashmina with you, just in case!!!

I'm sure you will have a lovely holiday, we've been on the Destiny already this year and are off again in January, so i can't be that bad!!!

The atmosphere onboard is great as are the entertainment team.

Ann

Thanks for all the reply's. Im sure we will have a lovely time it just shook me a bit to think we could be in for a dire holiday on a tatty ship lol. we are definately people who appreciate a good atmosphere and comfort over extreme glitz and glamour so hopefully we will fit in well. Can anyone advise wether i would need to pack some warmer clothes too? we are doing the 2 weeks tropical transatlantic. Still in hope of having some lovely rays of sunshine :-)

thanks lisa

I agree with Ann, you're unlikely to need warm clothing in the Caribbean although a wrap might be a good idea for the evenings on deck and sometimes the air-con early evening in the dining rooms and showlounges can feel a bit cool until more people gather.

But you might need something a bit warmer for the first few days until you hit Madeira (I assume this is one of your calls). You should be ok inside the ship but perhaps a light cardi or jumper might be advisable especially as you usually end up going through the pool deck to get into the Lido restaurant (even if not to eat, at least to get 24/7 drinks) and although this is under a covered walk-way - you are open to the winds and outside temperatures. I think you can get there by coming up from the deck below, but the Lido is a bit draughty at the best of times so until you make more southerly waters, I'd have something a bit warmer available just in case.

Enjoy your trip and let us know how you get on. :)

We went on the Destiny in July 09 and enjoyed the cruise, staff and the food in the Lido restaurant which was of a good standard throughout the cruise.

Like other people have commented on, it is a little " tired " but the atmosphere is really happy and we also have re-booked for 2010 so we all can't be wrong!

Enjoy your cruise and don't worry!

Hi

We went to the Caribbean on Destiny last January and are off again on her for 14 days on 10th January - can't wait. We had a brilliant time - loved every minute of it. Yes, I agree that she is rather tired but everything else makes up for this. I would compare her to Cunard - in particular, the QM2 on which we went to the Caribbean 2 years ago. The QM2 is absolutely gorgeous to look at and very luxurious compared to Destiny and Afternoon Tea in the Queens Lounge is lovely BUT that is where it ends. QM2's entertainment was extremely poor - one whole 'show' of a classical pianist - very talented and we enjoyed him but you could hear him every other night in one of the bars and more Judy Garland and Frank Sinatra than we could stand. With the exception of our waiters/wine waiter, the staff were extremely impersonal - the cruise director? who was he? The entertainment team? Did they just pop up out of the floor at appropriate times and then back down again? Would never recognise any of them again. The 70s Party Night? I've been to livlier wakes!!!! Give me good old Destiny any time with her lovely staff, great entertainment and loads of fun.

One tip about cabins. By chance, we were allocated an outside cabin adjacent to one of the stairwells. It seems that all the cabins in a similar position are bigger than the others in the same category - think they might be intended to be 3/4 berths. We have booked it again for next time as it was absolutely fine and we were quite relieved after the comments we had already read on here about Destiny cabins. We booked very early for next January and our TA had trouble getting the Thomson staff to allocate us this cabin - but she tried again and again and, eventually, got it for us.

So I hope that people aren't put off going on Destiny - she's an old dear and full of fun!!!

Sandie

Well we had a fantastic time in the med in October.

Maybe you should have read up about the boat before hand - the Lidi is outside, the med isnt hot in November and it does rain. Food in the Seven Seas was fantastic, maybe you should have stopped moaning and tried it. Cabins are small but not as small as we expected, three of us coped very well in our week. When we fancied a late night snack we put on a jumper.

Yes lets put the smokers in a lift raft and toe them behind. We didnt notice many in our week they kept themselves to themselves

Hi, reading all the different reviews of Thomson Destiny on different sites is very confusing, but then all the other ships I've looked up prior to booking in the past also seem to have very mixed reviews, and so far, (touch wood) we've enjoyed each cruise we've had. Our opinions are all so different, but since personally we like a clean cabin, a ship with a friendly atmosphere, good food and good entertainment we've decided to give the Destiny the benefit of the doubt and are setting sail this weekend on the Tropical Transatlantic cruise and I can't wait :D

Hi' date=' reading all the different reviews of Thomson Destiny on different sites is very confusing, but then all the other ships I've looked up prior to booking in the past also seem to have very mixed reviews, and so far, (touch wood) we've enjoyed each cruise we've had. Our opinions are all so different, but since personally we like a clean cabin, a ship with a friendly atmosphere, good food and good entertainment we've decided to give the Destiny the benefit of the doubt and are setting sail this weekend on the Tropical Transatlantic cruise and I can't wait :D[/quote']

The best thing is to ignore all the reviews your read and make your own opinion. If i had beleived some of the reviews i read before sailing on the Destiny this November i would never had gone. I had the best time ever and would definately go on the destiny again. People and staff and so so friendly which is the main advantage.

I travelled on the last cruise around the med of the season before the destiny was about to head over for your cruise. I was informed that the staff would be cleaning and paint the ship from top to bottom. So she should be nice and clean and shiny for you.

Enjoy yourself you will have a fab time.

I'm afraid DW and I after consideration have jumped ship. We have swapped a 2 week cruise in outside L shaped beds cabin for 2 weeks on Grand Princess for £200 less and a balcony cabin with queen size beds.

To make sure we didn't lose our deposit we 've transferred the booking to a week on Dream in April as well.

Berwyn

We did the transatlantic last December and had a great time. Make sure you book the bridge tour, very interesting, and the behind-the-scenes with the entertainment team, both on sea days during the crossing I think. Don't miss the afternoon play either, we did and our friends said it was a treat. Watch out for "Elvis Parsley" aka Ronnie the singing waiter!

If you search "tropical transatlantic" on this forum you'll find several reviews from last year. Given your priorities, I'm sure you'll have a lovely time.

Carol x

For heavens sake, after one hour on the Destiny, DW and I had enough sense to use the non-smoking side for our walk.

I hate smoking, but, give them a beak and avoid smoking areas.

Archived