irons taken away (FYI)

Irishwhiskey

I believe I read a few years ago that the number 1 appliance with the highest risk of a fire is the TV, maybe all the ships should remove all the tv's?? I also doubt they are banning hair irons, I will bet it is still only clothing irons because they can easily provide (for a fee of course) pressing service.

The cruise lines can control the condition of the TVs on their ships, but not every device that is brought on board by passengers. I know the condition of our home iron is good, but the iron my at my brothers home is in very poor condition, including taped up cords and handles, loose parts, and it will no longer automatically shut off. Mine would probably be safe, but his? I wouldn't bet my life on it. So, should we expect the cruiseline to hire trained experts to inspect all irons being brought on board to keep irons like my brother's off the ship? It's safer, more convenient, and more cost effective to ban them all as a safety precaution.

After writing this I think I now know what to get my brother and his wife for Christmas ;)

It's not just the iron, is it? - I can't really see how, or where, you'd use an iron in a standard cabin, or where you'd put it down after using it. I suspect that that's the real source of the risk.

As an aside, P&O has irons, and ironing boards, on all their ships. They have laundry rooms with washing machines, driers and the afore-mentioned irons, etc. Being UK-based, the voltage on P&O ships is 240 volts. They're not down in the bowels, either: there are laundry rooms on most of the main accommodation decks and they occupy spaces that would otherwise be occupied by inside cabins.

My personal belief is that promoting the on-board cleaning service is among the main reasons behind the ban on irons on Celebrity ships.

we just came off the NCL Majesty(it has now left the fleet) in each cabin one of the two draws on the credenza was a small ironing board. I don't object to the ban as I am not on vacation to iron anyway(and I don't anyway)...but it is not by far the most dangerous thing that the cruise lines allow.

Times change so be it(also NCL on the first night will iron anything except a long gown for $1.00 per piece)

Sorry, but I do not believe the curling iron story. I've taken my curling iron on every cruise and my sister always takes two different size curling irons, and they've never, ever been taken.

Yes, and on the guest conduct policy they specifically state curling irons are acceptable.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000Len_1MsaPMS6ixDTWtsQN32:12hdebebp?pagename=guest_conduct_policy

Sorry, but I do not believe the curling iron story. I've taken my curling iron on every cruise and my sister always takes two different size curling irons, and they've never, ever been taken.

I had mine on our Summit transatlantic in March 08. Just because they pulled them all on the Mercury, doesn't mean they are pulling them fleetwide...just like dining room dress. Some report seeing people turned away, others report anything goes. On that same March '08 cruise I saw piles of beer and liquor that had been pulled at boarding, yet we made it on with the liquor we had in our carryon.

I guess you should be prepared to lose it if you bring it.

As Jerry Seinfeld would say, "Having said that" yes rules are rules, but many rules are questioned by many as to why and many will be able to justify why they should be exempt. As I said in another post a curling iron and a flat iron are the same as a travel iron except in a different shape, so 'Why?'

In most ways, I am a rules fanatic: I only cross with the walk sign, I follow the dress code wherever I go, I don't buy my groceries at CVS and then list them as a medical expense, etc. If I choose to ignore a rule, like my iron or my bottle in the carry on I will face the music when it's played.

Boarding time, I think, is a rule, but it is common on these boards to tout how early one can get on board; there is a different room service menu based on your cabin category, but it is common advice here to ignore it and just write in what you want. I know that these are at the "low end" of the rules scale, but if rules are rules, then get on the ship at 2 and order room service from your door card. It goes on and on...avoiding boat drill 'I've done the drill a hundred times'; taking food off the ship 'it's only a croissant from Cova'; 'my husband only brings on (fill in the liquor name here) because they don't have it on board. Unfortunatley a rule is only as good as it's enforcement, but just because it's not enforced (see all of the above) doesn't mean it's OK.

OK, off the soapbox, for now anyway. But don't cast stones unless you are without sin.

I guess you should be prepared to lose it if you bring it.

No, actually, really you should not. They have a very specific list of items not allowed and curling irons are not on this list. Do not accept a rogue security guard confiscating yours.

No, actually, really you should not. They have a very specific list of items not allowed and curling irons are not on this list. Do not accept a rogue security guard confiscating yours.

Good luck with that. I've had items taken by TSA at my local airport that weren't on the list. Talked to the supervisor...guess what...backed the TSA officer. I will paraphrase his words: "we are not taking this from you, you are voluntarily surrendering it. You can exit the line and take it home."

Going rogue seems to be far too widely accepted these days.

If irons are a fire hazard, why is smoking of any kind allowed? Even from the designated smoking areas, people throw their butts overboard, and the wind blows them back onto the ship.

You are so right my northern friend. But be prepared to be blasted here for your observation. There are no smokers that have ever been inconsiderate of non smokers on this board.

If irons are a fire hazard, why is smoking of any kind allowed? Even from the designated smoking areas, people throw their butts overboard, and the wind blows them back onto the ship.

They are not a prohibited item, while irons are on the list, end of discussion. You may choose which cruise line you want to go on and if this is the criteria than make your choice.

If irons are a fire hazard, why is smoking of any kind allowed?

Because Celebrity decided that the cost of upkeep due to smoking plus the risk of fire was less than the cost of revenue loss from banning smoking plus revenue gained from non-smokers.

Keep in mind that Greece has the highest smoking rate of the entire EU as well.

If I recall your deleted post correctly, the data you cited for cruise ship fires were not from any sort of official agency or recognized organization, so I'm not willing to accept it as fact without some independent verification. If I'm wrong about the source, please correct me. As we used to say around the office, "Bad data are our business, our only business." ;)

Here is the link that I had in the first post: http://www.shipdetective.com/advice/safety/fires.htm#top

I have no reason to believe, or not believe, the information provided. It is contained within a site called "ShipDetective.com"; maybe someone here has heard of it?? I do see that it is based in Venice, FL.

I do not remember how I even found this site. I do not think that I was even trying to find a site of this type at the time I came across it.

If it is accurate or not I cannot say, but I have not found any other site with information on cruise ship fire history.

Below is a link to a white paper by the NFPA that I recommend that everyone at least read the opening few pages. It is a very detailed breakdown of the causes of house fires. Most of which may not apply here, but it may help save your life at the one place where a fire is most likely to take your life: at home.

http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/PDF/OS.Homes.pdf

Does anyone know if this iron rule applies to travel steamers too? It's been about 4 years since we last cruised, but looking forward to another trip in a couple of weeks. I seem to remember taking a steamer the last time with no problems. Sure is handy for getting a few wrinkles out of a suit.

I fail to understand why everyone tries to come up with a reason or rationale for the rule against irons in cruise ship cabins. It is a rule - period and I am willing to bet that 90% of passengers who have the iron they bring with them confiscated have done so either from sheer ignorance of reading the rules or, having read them, go ahead and bring one anyhow, saying to Hell with the rules. It is similar to bringing liqour onboard (smuggling), being chair hogs, taking undiapered children in the pool, etc, etc. "It's my vacation and I will do what I please" It is a sign of the times in which we now live:(

Good post. It might come as a shock to some people, but one can have an absolutely fantastic cruise (we have had many) without breaking any rules.

Anyone who knowingly violates a safety rule and endangers others should be put off the ship. Tough break if they are still at sea:D.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Does anyone know if this iron rule applies to travel steamers too? It's been about 4 years since we last cruised, but looking forward to another trip in a couple of weeks. I seem to remember taking a steamer the last time with no problems. Sure is handy for getting a few wrinkles out of a suit.

No steamers are not allowed either -

From the FAQ's on Celebrity's website regarding ship and stateroom details

Are steamers allowed onboard?

Subject: Ship and Stateroom Details

Steamers or irons are not allowed onboard. However, there is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for a reasonable rate.

They are not a prohibited item, while irons are on the list, end of discussion. You may choose which cruise line you want to go on and if this is the criteria than make your choice.

My comment about why irons are not allowed but smoking is, was not a smoking vs. non-smoking issue. It was a question regarding fire safety. So I will rephrase the question for you. If irons are prohibited in the interest of fire safety, why is smoking allowed when I have observed that some smokers toss their butts over the railing of the designated smoking areas and they blow back onto the ship. I personally have had a cigarette butt blow onto my balcony.

My comment about why irons are not allowed but smoking is, was not a smoking vs. non-smoking issue. It was a question regarding fire safety. So I will rephrase the question for you. If irons are prohibited in the interest of fire safety, why is smoking allowed when I have observed that some smokers toss their butts over the railing of the designated smoking areas and they blow back onto the ship. I personally have had a cigarette butt blow onto my balcony.

I know the question as it is usually thrown into these iron threads, my answer still stands, irons are prohibited, smoking is not. Ask the cruise line why but those are the rules...

On our Mercury cruise two weeks ago during embarkation anyone's bag that was scanned and showed an iron or curling iron of some sort were confiscated by security and held.Our friends brought a small portable iron on board.Their bag was taken but security did not tell them that they had it.When they called security they were told to report down to deck#3.When they got there they found their bag along with many other bags that were taken.Nobody notified them that their bag was taken hostage. They were told to open their bag by security who then took their iron away and returned it to them after the cruise.Our friends told us that there was a box full of irons that were taken away along with curling irons.Security doesn't tell you if they take tour bag you have to report it missing.

That's news to me that you cannot bring a curling iron onboard. I brought one with me this fall on Constellation and it was not confiscated (I would not have been a happy camper as my hair needs the "iron" rule to behave properly).

That's news to me that you cannot bring a curling iron onboard. I brought one with me this fall on Constellation and it was not confiscated (I would not have been a happy camper as my hair needs the "iron" rule to behave properly).

Print out the guest conduct policy I provided a link to in a previous post on this thread. It specifically states curling irons are allowed.

i was very annoyed that we were not told earlier on that our luggage had been held up by security. my wife had been wondering where here luggage was, and what she was going to wear to dinner. we can do without the iron. we shouldn't have brought it. it is against the rules. but security is to busy doing other things to be considerate of confiscated luggage.

i complained about security on the cruise-end comments. Someone from Celebrity called me to discuss this. She was interested in the fact that we were not informed of the status of the luggage (eg. Celebrity security had it without informing us).

Archived