Qustions about the Paul Gauguin

threeputtlewy

I have read a number of post's regarding the Paul Gauguin. My DW and I are planning our 25th anniversary vacation and the Paul Gauguin seems like a dream vacation with an extra few days on Bora Bora to top it off. We are blue collar kind of folk who work hard and the cost of this vacation will not be just a drop in the bucket for us.

My question is, will a couple of blue collar folks feel out of place with the passengers that frequently cruise on this ship? Should we just stick with the main stream cruise lines? It wouldn't be a crime to us if we were served sparkling wine instead of real champagne and I would rather have a cold beer instead of a martini. I have never tried caviar and the last cruise we went on I ordered two shrimp cocktails for an appy every night.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

Threeputtlewy:D

I am assuming there will be a separate board for the PG cruises as Regent will not be operating the Paul Gaugin after the end of the year. They have sold, or given up their interest, in the ship.

We are assuming for now that the Paul Gauguin (PG) will be just about the same as it was under Regent. The PG might be the best ship in the world for your 25th anniversary! The location can't be beat -- you'll love the food and service and definitely will not feel out of place. It is a relaxing ship -- a nice small size so you will to know other people.

I have only two words for you. . . . "Book It":)

No, you will not feel out of place. I felt the same way when we first went on this ship (2000). I was a little intimidated at first by the maitre'ds in their tuxedos, but got used to it. We met a couple from Calgary on our last trip who live in a mobile home--they were quite comfy and had a wonderful time.

Think about dressing up a bit, and having fun. You will have a ball.

Think about Moorea as an alternative to Bora Bora. It's a lovely island, and the hotels are generally more reasonably priced.

We booked today for the 7/13/2010 11 night cruise. We chose this sailing as I really want to include the Cook Islands in the trip. We are spending 5 nights pre cruise at the Hilton on Moorea. We chose Moorea as the snorkeling is reported to be excellent, we can take an easy ferry from Tahiti to Moorea saving some $$, and the cruise stops for 2 days in Bora Bora.

We went on the PG for our 25th for a once in a lifetime experience. Been back three more times and would like to go again next year. Be warned, the Tahitian Flu is more virulent than H1N1. We do a precruise everytime. Twice on Bora Bora, once Tikehau, and once Taha'a. Expect "island service" at the resorts, so-so food and service. Sometimes we have been pleasantly surprised. The PG is uniformly excellent in our experience. My wife is from the Pennsylvania coal region and has felt at home on the PG, so as long as you hang loose you should fit right in. Hinano is readily available, so beer drinking is widespread.

The ferry from Tahiti to Moorea takes 30 minutes (the high speed ferry) and runs every few hours. Here is the link to the schedule.

http://www.tahiti.com/english-version/about-tahiti/gen-resources/boat%20transportation.html

I am told the flight takes 10 minutes but is a little more costly and if you have to return from a hotel for the flight I am sure this 10 minutes turns into an hour or more.

My flight will arrive in the early evening but that is too late for any ferry. For that reason we will have to spend the first night in Tahiti and then go on to Moorea for 5 nights at the Hilton. We will then take a 3 pm ferry back from Moorea to meet the cruise.

Archived