NCL Officially Announces Cancellation of Dawn's 11/29 Cruise

njhorseman

I am one of the unfortunate souls that got the cancellation call this morning. As of 1pm EST, I have been on hold for over 2 hours with NCL. In the meantime I was able to get my car, airport parking, hotel, and flights cancelled. The hard part of this whole thing is getting my 8 and 3 year old sons to understand why we aren't on a plane to Miami right now. Call me ungrateful, but I think that giving a 50% discount on another cruise is pretty crappy. While I understand that they take a big hit to the wallet to cancel a trip like this, it is a heartbreaker for people who have been looking forward to their trip and saved for a long time. I lost my job a month ago and this was the one bright spot. Oh well. At least I can get a longer cruise or nicer room with the 50% discount.

Ok, I apologize. Maybe crappy is too stong a word. I am just a little disappointed, and justifiably so.

If I were you I'd be booking my replacement cruise right now...with 50% off,

a Garden Villa or at least a mini suite would be mine!

Good luck.

I leave in about a month for a trip on the pearl.

If NCL were to call right now, or for that matter, a week before we were to leave and offer me the choice of the following 3 senerios, I would take 2 or 3 in a second.

1) take my cruise as planned with no additional costs and no interuptions.

2) sail for 5 of the 7 days without incident, then on the final two nights we would need to sleep on the deck and eat our final meals from a grill by the pool. They would drop us in San Jaun, pick up any hotel expenses and then fly us by charter back to Miami, all the while discounting our trip by 75%. Oh Yeah, throw in a future cruise at 50% off.

3) Cancel our trip but give us 50% off a future cruise. We already have air to Miami, but we could jump on any ship in port, with any cruise line on a last minute deal price.

Although number 2 seems like more of an adventure, that sounds like the better option to me. The only thing wrong with number two would be listening to others complain about the awful situation we have found ourselves in.

Then again, I don't mind getting bumped off a flight in order to receive free air fare.

What I was expecting was a trip.

Here's what I'd do (only a suggestion). Make it a fun family game to pick out a new cruise in the future, you don't even have to do it now. With that hefty discount you can get a swankier cabin, and if you didn't have a suite before, maybe you can swing it. Don't spend all of your "vacation funds" on the next trip, take a small portion and go so somewhere now, even a hotel in your own town, a theme-park, if possible, etc. I think getting away for at least a night would be good for you.

I am so sorry. I know how much I look forward to vacation, and especially cruises. But my mom always said everything happens for a reason and I am just glad the problems didn't happen when your small children were on the cruise, it would have been so uncomfortable for them. I hopeyou book another cruise and it is perfect for you and your family.

Your disappointment is understandable, but the 50% discount is far from "crappy".

I agree. I would book another cruise with the refund and the 50% and use any remaining money as spending money. I understand being disappointed and I'm sure it's easier when it's just adults but I think NCL is being more than generous in this situation.

How does/would NCL handle those passengers like myself who don't fly - kinda hard to get from San Juan to Miami by train. That would be my biggest stress if this were to happen on a cruise that I am on.

Cheers

Dennis

:eek:

Wow...didn't think about that possibility, but I'll add that to my list of 'why some people shouldn't cruise'

The list of possible negatives of cruising grows all the time. If there is any reason you can't go with the flow, then cruising may not be a good choice. Not being able to fly would be a major issue I assume, in a case like this.....

is it a fear you have?? :confused: Dang!

Have mercy, I can't even imagine being in that position....that would be a nightmare I wager!!

LOL, maybe some long-distance swim training??? LOL!!!

i feel very BAD for the people who will be MISSING this SAILING...all the planning and preparing and then this happens...its very HEARTBREAKING because for alot of people there may not be another OPPORTUNE time for awhile;)understand the DISAPPOINTMENT of something like this...its really sad:(

it could HAPPEN to ANYONE OF US:eek:

From what I remember, the Dawn has 4 generators. Two are normally used for propulsion, one for ship's electricity and one as a stand-by spare. It would be very unusual for 2 or 3 generators to go out at the same time, so I'm guessing that a good part of the problem is the power distribution system...the generators run, but the electricity can't get where it is supposed to go without some jury-rigging.

By the way, to remove-replace a generator, they need to cut a hole in the side of the ship for access and when done, re-weld it closed and paint it. I think that this would normally be done in a shipyard dry-dock which should take more than 5-6 days to accomplish. Most generator repairs can be done "in place" with the right parts and support...no need to remove them.

we were supposed to be on the 11/29, luckily from this board- I knew last night that there were problems and so I looked into other options. I had my TA hold rooms on RCCL leaving the next day for 5 days and was able to switch our return flight as soon as the cancellation was announced. Had I not had the CC notice I would have been scrambling. Luckily we were able to get a room in Miami tomorrow night, add a day to vacation- and now my biggest worry is packing some more dressy clothes as it doesn't sound as though RCCL is as "freestyle" as NCL.

we were supposed to be on the 11/29, luckily from this board- I knew last night that there were problems and so I looked into other options. I had my TA hold rooms on RCCL leaving the next day for 5 days and was able to switch our return flight as soon as the cancellation was announced. Had I not had the CC notice I would have been scrambling. Luckily we were able to get a room in Miami tomorrow night, add a day to vacation- and now my biggest worry is packing some more dressy clothes as it doesn't sound as though RCCL is as "freestyle" as NCL.

You really do know how to turn a bad situtation around and still make it fun. That's great.

To everyone who is affected.. I posted this on another thread, but my heart goes out to you. I know you are broken hearted and disappointed and understand if you feel given the world by NCL still isn't good enough to justify what has happened. I totally understand. I do think in time you will see you ended up with fairly good compensation. No matter what I hope it works out for you and at some point you can have a great cruise.

Full refund plus half off another cruise is crappy? what on earth were you expecting?

The full refund is to be expected, and is a no-brainer. After that, everyone will have a different idea. I fully expect someone who was not planning on cruising is going to have different expectations than someone who is struggling with their cancellation. For that matter, I suppose it's really not the business of any of us who aren't directly impacted.

Should I be concerned about my cruise in Feb on the Dawn? :(

I am not particularly worried about my mid Jan 2010 cruise on the Dawn because I can't imagine a problem that would not be fixed by then. Of course all things are possible but what's the point of getting into a lather about an unlikely whatif. So my advice would be relax and assume the best.

Wow great handling of this! You took a bad situation and turned it around. I am just sorry that you had to do all this scrambling but some things just can't be avoided.

Well, I got a happy ending. And I'm not talking about the kind you get at the Asian massage parlor either. After spending nearly the entire day on the phone with airlines, hotels, car companies, and NCL, everything is cancelled. I spoke with a super helpful lady at NCL got me set up to sail on the Pearl next Saturday for a 7 day cruise with a much nicer itinerary than the 5 day that I was scheduled for on the Dawn. I was a little sour earlier, and I apologize for that. BTW for anyone who is curious, the 50% discount is not 50% off the cost of your next cruise. They refunded the entire cost of my original cruise, and then gave me an additional 50% of the cost of that cruise as a credit for this one. There was a small difference in price after all of the calculations (in my favor), which they are refunding to us. All in all, it worked out. I've also heard that the Pearl is a nice ship.

On another completely unrelated note, does anyone know which Miami hotels offer a free shuttle to the cruise port? Thanks!

BTW for anyone who is curious, the 50% discount is not 50% off the cost of your next cruise. They refunded the entire cost of my original cruise, and then gave me an additional 50% of the cost of that cruise as a credit for this one.

That does change things a bit. baiscally a 150% refund, which is nice. But the full refund plus 50% off next could be have played out better....Oh well, glad you are satisfied. It had to be a harrowing few hours whilst rearranging all of that.

Well, I got a happy ending. And I'm not talking about the kind you get at the Asian massage parlor either. After spending nearly the entire day on the phone with airlines, hotels, car companies, and NCL, everything is cancelled. I spoke with a super helpful lady at NCL got me set up to sail on the Pearl next Saturday for a 7 day cruise with a much nicer itinerary than the 5 day that I was scheduled for on the Dawn. I was a little sour earlier, and I apologize for that. BTW for anyone who is curious, the 50% discount is not 50% off the cost of your next cruise. They refunded the entire cost of my original cruise, and then gave me an additional 50% of the cost of that cruise as a credit for this one. There was a small difference in price after all of the calculations (in my favor), which they are refunding to us. All in all, it worked out. I've also heard that the Pearl is a nice ship.

On another completely unrelated note, does anyone know which Miami hotels offer a free shuttle to the cruise port? Thanks!

The La Quinta East at the Airport has free shuttle service to the port. It's where we are staying in a few weeks. Have a great cruise!

I'm happy it is all working out for you :)

Archived