Favorite Restaurant in Majahual/Mahahual

senunit

So, we are in Costa Maya in 2 months. All this talk of 100 Agave is making me hungry!

Crew - can you tell me how to get there? We'll have a group of 4 and we wanted to venture off the beaten path a bit, this place sounds amazing.

Thanks!

So, we are in Costa Maya in 2 months. All this talk of 100 Agave is making me hungry!

Crew - can you tell me how to get there? We'll have a group of 4 and we wanted to venture off the beaten path a bit, this place sounds amazing.

Thanks!

carwvu80--see this link to a thread on this board with directions and a good series of map links at the bottom. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1140966

The restaurant is 1/2 block north of the soccer field and 1 block off the mlecon on the street the taxis drive down when entering Mahahual. Jus thave them drop you off at the first taxi stand to the malecon. They'll turn left on the first block inside town to do this. Walk back to the street you came down on and turn left, you'll see the big Tequila bottle out front. Don Fernando will make you an excellent margarita (rivals Evan's at the Nacional Beach Club) or serve you cold Michaeladas (beer,lime and hotsauce).

But there are plenty of other good spots on the malecon, Tapas, La Mica Luna, et. al. so feel free to wonder down and follow your nose and stomach. Nohoch Kay near the end of the malecon is also a good stop if they aren't too busy with excursion guests; Jaime used to have the Oasis in Playa del Carmen.

• 1 month later...

I can highly recommend Tropicante. We got out of the cab and many guys were immediately upon us trying to convince us to follow them. We declined and just "wandered" for a few minutes. A really friendly guy named Jorge said we were welcome to use their chairs and just let him know if we needed anything. Our day was fabulous. He took care of everything. Their drinks and food are amazing and very affordable. Jorge was great with our kids. He must have heard my nephew mention that he wished he could try a "real" coconut. Without being asked - Jorge appeared with a coconut! He also gave us handmade necklaces as a gift from him.

For any other "neat freaks" out there - the restaurant and bathrooms are spotless. Everyone at Tropicante is so friendly. We had an awesome day! We will definately go back next year when we are in Costa Maya.

2900165660078275166S425x425Q85.jpg[2092680500078275166S425x425Q85.jpg

2671219730078275166S425x425Q85.jpg

My Husband and I just catch a taxi or bus and go to the beach, $3 pp. The first restaraunt and bar on the strip is the Maya Bar. You can sit either on the beach or in the restaurant. We sit for hours relaxing, drinking beer, eating, and getting an excellent massage $40 per hour. We have been so often they know us by name and take really good care of us. Ask for "Charlie Brown" (Carlos) for excellent service and Nellie for the best message you will ever experience. (Better than the spa) Food is great! They even go out of their way to get Sol beer for my husband which they don't have on the menu. don't know where they go get it but they don't even charge extra for the trouble. Prices are very resonable. a bucket of 6 beers for $10. Food prices are also great and food delicious. They will even show your their fresh catch of the day to help you decide what you want. If you see Charlie Brown tell him Big Daddy and wife say Hi!

I can highly recommend Tropicante. We got out of the cab and many guys were immediately upon us trying to convince us to follow them. We declined and just "wandered" for a few minutes. A really friendly guy named Jorge said we were welcome to use their chairs and just let him know if we needed anything. Our day was fabulous. He took care of everything. Their drinks and food are amazing and very affordable. Jorge was great with our kids. He must have heard my nephew mention that he wished he could try a "real" coconut. Without being asked - Jorge appeared with a coconut! He also gave us handmade necklaces as a gift from him.

For any other "neat freaks" out there - the restaurant and bathrooms are spotless. Everyone at Tropicante is so friendly. We had an awesome day! We will definately go back next year when we are in Costa Maya.

2900165660078275166S425x425Q85.jpg[2092680500078275166S425x425Q85.jpg

2671219730078275166S425x425Q85.jpg

Sounds a lot like our recent experience there! It you visit, say hi to Steve from the Philly people.

Archived