What was your most favorite Costa Maya Excursion?

senunit

It's maybe a 10 minute cab-ride from the pier - I think it was only $7 or $8 for the cab - they are the later pics in my siggy link - there are some great reviews in the Costa Maya forum, including mine for the Hotel Maya Luna. Carolien is great about organizing whatever you want to do from snorkeling to horseback riding, to just sipping drinks on the beach - just send her an e-mail to see if she can arrange what you'd like at a price that works for you :)

Do I have to make reservations to go here or can we just walk in and spend the day there? Ill certainly email here is we plan to come here to advise on a potential excursion.

Thank you to all that have once again been of tremendous help with the suggestions! I think we are certainly going to go with the eat, drink and beach route with maybe a massage and/or jet ski session in between. We are contemplating if we want to add an excursion as well since we will be there from 8 or 9 am until 8 pm.

The "Jungle Beach Break" sold through the ship is also very nice. Good prices for the extras, and lots of stuff to do: snorkeling, mini-powerboats, I think they had jet skis. It is the favorite beach break I've ever been to.

Do I have to make reservations to go here or can we just walk in and spend the day there? Ill certainly email here is we plan to come here to advise on a potential excursion.

I'm pretty sure you can just show up - we had the day reserved for the horseback riding trip, but I don't think it was necessary.

We have been to Costa Maya 3 times and the last 2 times we rented a golf cart. They were located out the back where the buses were parked. We have not been since the hurricane so I am not sure if they are still there. Anyone?

When you rent the gold cart you drive into Majahual and you can go anywhere you want. It WAS $16.00 per hour or $60.00 for all day. We went about 10 miles past Majahual on the coast road. Had a great time.

My parents and friends also rented golf carts on Costa Maya (pre-hurricane) and had a great day. Anyone know if the Cat's Meow is still on the beach off Majahual Ave.? Barbara (the owner) had an 18 yr old black cat named SoSo that was there two years ago. Cat's Meow was said to use purified water, has safe food and a spotless bathroom. Massages were available next door for $20, for 30 to 45 minutes.

My parents and friends also rented golf carts on Costa Maya (pre-hurricane) and had a great day. Anyone know if the Cat's Meow is still on the beach off Majahual Ave.? Barbara (the owner) had an 18 yr old black cat named SoSo that was there two years ago. Cat's Meow was said to use purified water, has safe food and a spotless bathroom. Massages were available next door for $20, for 30 to 45 minutes.

Id like to know this as well, because this is not the first time I hear of this place and it sounds like a good spot to stop by and check out. Please advise.

Majahual consists of a few blocks of dirt streets with low buildings that stretches along the beach. It's just a small village with some shops that sell trinkets and t-shirts...not a Diamonds International, Columbia Emeralds or Del Sol in sight! .

That's how I like it. My wife got a scuba excursion from someone walking the pier when you first walk off -- it was $25 -- my friend and I cheered her on from the shore, then all of us got to enjoy the adjoining bar & beach chair amenities of the 'resort' affiliated with that company. All I really need at a peaceful day on the beach.

But -- I do remember them building a Diamonds International actually... may be done now.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are into the Mayan culture, the Costa Maya area has some fantastic ruins. Several years ago DW and I were on a Princess cruise and we stopped at Costa Maya. Not having any idea about the port of call, we chose the Mayan ruins tour and were amazed! After a 40 min. bus ride, we toured the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins, some of the newest excavations in Mexico. They were magnificant. We were able to climb a pyramid and see other excavations of a huge Mayan city. As we rode back I noticed many small hills all up and down the road. I asked the tour guide (knowing we were in a coastal area that should have been flat) and was told that the hils were unexcavated Mayan pyramids. There must have been dozens! We were there in March, but is was hot as h***. So take that into consideration.

I would definitely recommend this tour. Now there are several private tours doing the same tours. Don't know about them, but the Princess tour was great.

---------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

Proud RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

We are proud Oasis Camel Cruiser – April 17, 2010

The Oasis Camels Website

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

Princess Cruises - The Med – 14 day – 2013

• 7 years later...

This thread is eight (8) years old but I'll jump in just in case anyone reads it. My suggestion is go see the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins. Well worth it and the excursion is only about 4 hours long. It's not as grand or impressive as some others we have seen, but still quite interesting. The walking paths are level and their is a lot of shade along the way. But, do take a bottle of water with you.

Happy Cruising!

The Native Choice Tours was amazing.

We first took a tour of the Mayan Ruins and then went to a local home for lunch.

I was skeptical that it wouldn't be as authentic as advertised. I pictured a huge tent with half the ship there.

I was so wrong. There were 12 of us in the backyard of a home. They showed us how to make tortillas and then we had

an amazing meal the family prepared and served. It was great. One of the best and most memorable excursions we've done (outside of Alaska).

Highly recommend it.

Native Choice. Small mini bus with about 18 people. First stop at the ruins, then to a private resort for lunch and kayaking and swimming. Small deposit upfront and balance due on day of tour. Only downside is that you have to walk to their office which is on the other side of the shopping area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This thread is eight (8) years old but I'll jump in just in case anyone reads it. My suggestion is go see the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins. Well worth it and the excursion is only about 4 hours long. It's not as grand or impressive as some others we have seen, but still quite interesting. The walking paths are level and their is a lot of shade along the way. But, do take a bottle of water with you.

Happy Cruising!

Yes, the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins excursion is a great tour. We did it 2 years ago. Interesting how a 8 year old thread came up. Thought I was responding to a few hour old post where a poster was asking for beach recommendations in Costa Maya. (I can no longer find that post).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I am guilty of this. But some seem to have interest in available Costa Maya excursions and places to go. I certainly did before I found out about the Maya Chan Beach Club earlier this year.

Those people should check out the ports of call boards, there is a lot of port specific information there

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169