Rotterdam Oceanview Cabins

Oca

My husband and I are considering booking a 30 day Hawaii/French Polynesian cruise on the Rotterdam for 2011. We usually book a verandah cabin but because of the cost difference between oceanview and verandah for this cruise, we want to book an oceanview. We have had oceanviews before (although never on HAL) and are perfectly content in them.

My question is -- looking at the pictures of the oceanview cabins on the Rotterdam, it seems as if the head of the bed is located directly under the window. Is that always the case? We would much prefer to have the head of the bed against the wall and a chair or two by the window. Is this possible? We would definitely want a queen bed set-up and not twin beds.

Thank you for your help.

I was on Rotterdam last September and in an oceanview room, the bed was under the window - lovely to wake up and see the sea. As we passed rooms that were being serviced, the beds were all in the same location, under the window.

It is possibly a matter of choice. My next oceanview cruise has a couch by the window which is not my preferred configuration.

If you choose the Rotterdam Pacific cruise, I hope you enjoy it, it is a beautiful part of the world. I am also cruising that part of the world in 2011 because I enjoyed it so much last time.

Rassa

As far as I know, the head of the bed is under the window in all OV cabins on all HAL ships except the Eurodam, and the Lanai cabins on the Veendam. (I don't know about the Prinsendam.) The only choice is whether you want twins or a queen.

We did this cruise several times in an OV cabin. What we ended up doing was to have the steward separate the beds. That way we had lots more room in the cabin and we could walk right up to the window and look out. It was especially nice at night, the ocean look so wonderful in the lights from the ship.

I admit we had to get a little creative for "visitation" rights but we found it worked for us.

When she comes out of her current drydock, the Rotterdam will have the lanai cabins referred to in a previous post. In those cabins the head of the bed is against the wall. However, there is little room at the foot of the bed, so passage to the outside door can be difficult.

The outsides that are being converted to lanai cabins are smaller than the outsides on other decks, too. There is less closet space, and the bathrooms are quite small (much smaller than the insides across the passageway).

We usually book a verandah cabin but because of the cost difference between oceanview and verandah for this cruise, we want to book an oceanview.

Thank you for your help.

Have you looked at the prices for the Lanai rooms? It's the best of both worlds and since it's a "public verandah" in some ways, you get the best of both worlds, easy access to anything you want photos of, but without the entire upcharge of the verandahs. Take a look at the deck plas and website for more info... it's category CA (on Veendam and Rotterdam only... CA on Eurodam is totally different)

Here's some images from my blog:

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/06/more-views-of-veendam-lanai-rooms-cat.html

And more... these of a larger wheelchair accessible room, but you still get the general idea I'm sure

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/06/veendam-lanai-stateroom-ca-333.html

When she comes out of her current drydock, the Rotterdam will have the lanai cabins referred to in a previous post. In those cabins the head of the bed is against the wall. However, there is little room at the foot of the bed, so passage to the outside door can be difficult.

The outsides that are being converted to lanai cabins are smaller than the outsides on other decks, too. There is less closet space, and the bathrooms are quite small (much smaller than the insides across the passageway).

Just to show what the Lanai (CA Category) Staterooms look like from a CC members photos: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Veendam/index.html the description is: There was plenty of room to relax, in fact there were lounge chairs right outside the sliding glass doors. Obviously having a private verandah is better, but for the price, having the Lanai was perfect. You still get the ocean view, and chairs to lounge in. Deck 6 was the “walking deck” because you could go all the way around the ship on the outside. Cruise Critic Member: VartanGrl

Joanie

Thank you all for your responses. And . . . yes, I had checked the Lanai cabins but the difference in price between a Lanai and a EE OV (no obstructions) is almost $1,400 per person. Perhaps if the price were lower, we would consider it but we think that the almost $2,800 difference in price is just not worth it.

As I said before, we can be quite content in an OV and I'm sure we shall adapt to the bed placement. The $2,800 we save on booking can go a long way toward booking another cruise in the future! :)

Archived