H1N1 vaccine

Jodster19

Does anyone know whether or not the H1N1 vaccine will be mandatory for princess cruises in 2010??? I heard that it might be. Im not fond of getting my vaccine shot but if it means not getting on the cruise ship then I will of course get it.

This is the first I'm hearing about mandatory vaccinations. Since we will be cruising in a few weeks, and will be exposed to thousands of people, I've already gotten my H1N1 and seasonal flu vaccinations. The only side effect I experienced was a sore upper arm for the first 24 hours after I received the H1N1 shot. It was a very minor inconvenience. ;)

Does anyone know whether or not the H1N1 vaccine will be mandatory for princess cruises in 2010??? I heard that it might be. Im not fond of getting my vaccine shot but if it means not getting on the cruise ship then I will of course get it.

I cannot imagine that they could make it mandatory, for several reasons. 1) There are millions of people like me who are allergic to chicken albumin (egg), which is what the vaccine is incubated in. To take it would potentially make those people ill from moderately to fatally. 2) The CDC guidelines for those who will be allowed to have the vaccine exclude a good many people who are in the cruise demographic, for example everyone over the age of 64, no matter how good or bad their health is; anyone between 24 and 64 who does not have a serious health condition that could be complicated by catching H1N1; 3) the woefully inadequate supply of vaccine (We got a total of 700 doses in our clinic to last us the whole season. They were gone within 24 hours, and we had barely touched those who qualified and wanted the vaccine).

I, too, would be interested to see the article or news piece that suggested Princess was going in this direction.

I seriously doubt it. Especially when it is still not accessible to the general public in many/most places. It is still very constrained here. Plus, as others pointed out, many people are unable to get it due to allergies, medical conditions, etc...

Besides, most people don't keep proof that they received it. My friends who have had H1N1 have found that strain of the flu less severe (for those who are healthy and not in a risk group) as the regular flu and cruise lines have never required the regular flu shot as a requirement.

I'm 64 & received both flu shots through Kaiser, about a month ago. I can't imagine any cruiseline would exclude those individuals who are in the middle - age wise, and in generally in good health, that so far have been left out.

When we sailed into India last month, we had to fill out an H1N1 form. One of the questions asked if we had been to the US, Canada or Mexico in the last 10 days. Since we had been on the ship for over 10 days, the answer was no for everyone. I don't know what India would have done if the answer had been yes.

The H1N1 vaccine is not even available to the vast majority of the population yet. It is still being provided in very limited quantities to those in the highest risk groups. The lowest priority right now are healthy seniors as it has been determined that they are at the lowest risk.

I would doubt a cruise ship would ever require a flu vaccination of any kind. They have never required passengers to have a seasonal flu vaccine, and for most, the H1N1 is no more serious than the seasonal flu. As such, it would be virtually unheard of for any cruiseline to institute such a requirement.

I cannot imagine that they could make it mandatory, for several reasons. 1) There are millions of people like me who are allergic to chicken albumin (egg), which is what the vaccine is incubated in. To take it would potentially make those people ill from moderately to fatally. 2) The CDC guidelines for those who will be allowed to have the vaccine exclude a good many people who are in the cruise demographic, for example everyone over the age of 64, no matter how good or bad their health is; anyone between 24 and 64 who does not have a serious health condition that could be complicated by catching H1N1; 3) the woefully inadequate supply of vaccine (We got a total of 700 doses in our clinic to last us the whole season. They were gone within 24 hours, and we had barely touched those who qualified and wanted the vaccine).

I, too, would be interested to see the article or news piece that suggested Princess was going in this direction.

Hi Karen and all,

I see the supplies over your side of the pond are as bad as here in Britain. I am a hospital nurse and they had a batch in last month and managed to do some of the staff, but they do not know when they will get any more for the rest of us.

I managed to get mine at my family doctor's with my seasonal flu jab when they had their 2nd batch in.

I have a cruise booked with Princess for next September and in the paperwork I received today there is no mention of any extra vaccinations.

Berwyn

While I doubt that it will be mandatory for travel, however we are saving our 'papers ' to say that we have had our shots.

As a footnote one elderly lady that we know has had H1N1, [she has recovered]. She used to play bridge with us, and she was using Purell after each hand. We warned her that with all her fussing her immune system would not be the greatest.

There is talk of a third wave of the 'flu, so better safe than sorry.

john

I dunno. Not trying to start something here but its just the flu. Do they require it for the seasonal flu?

FYI, CDC estimated that about 36,000 people die of seasonal flu-related causes each year, on average, in the United States.

www.cdc.gov

I have to agree here. It's the flu, not the black plague. :rolleyes:

We never received any kind of receipt or paper that said we've had the H1N1 shot. I doubt that the cruise lines would require it. I think it would be very hard to prove that you had the shot and would cause a great deal of trouble to get the proof for the majority of the people that have had it.

BTW, actually getting the H1N1 is much worse than the regular flu. Worst thing my husband and I have ever had in our entire lives!

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. In answer to your question, I heard it from a coworker at work whose boyfriend is a police officer. He is the one who heard this from somewhere.He got a slip of paper stating that he had the shot. I dont know where he got his informaton from but I really didnt think that it would be a mandatory thing to have to have the shot to go on a cruise ship. They are going on a cruise in February, not Princess though. So Im happy to hear that it is probably just rumour. Thanks everyone, you have been most helpful.

also If you had the H1N1 flu, how do you prove that, and do not need the shot,at that point

,,I had it and it took me out for 5 days of pure MISERY..never had anything like it,,,,and if I do again,,,I might jump off a bridge,,,, was that bad folks,,and I more than likely would not have gotten the shot,(as became available),,,next time I will defiantly re-think it

I went crazy trying to get the shot for my daughter who falls in the high risk group (under 24 with asthma). Kept calling her pediatrician who said they might get their supply in mid-November. So when the county of LA started having clinics in October, we stood in line at a nearby park and she got her shot. When the county worker asked if I wanted one too, I said I wasn't in any risk group and didn't want to keep someone who really needed it from getting it.

If the local schools aren't requiring it, which the LAUSD isn't (and every student in those schools are considered at risk), then I couldn't imagine the cruiselines requiring it.

Got it easily at doctors office.Phoned on Monday, got it on Friday, my doctor even gave my husband the shot,, and he isn't even one of her patients.

Hubby got regular flu last year,, next got flu shots, didn't "beleive" in them,, healthy guy, doesn't smoke etc,, got so sick from flu he was off work for three weeks, got pnemonia,, and had to sleep sitting up for 4 nights.

This year,, no arguments,, he rolled up his sleeve happily.. LOL

None of us got any paper work showing we got shot though,, so no way to prove it. ( unless we contacted our doctor I guess)

We never received any kind of receipt or paper that said we've had the H1N1 shot. I doubt that the cruise lines would require it. I think it would be very hard to prove that you had the shot and would cause a great deal of trouble to get the proof for the majority of the people that have had it.

BTW, actually getting the H1N1 is much worse than the regular flu. Worst thing my husband and I have ever had in our entire lives!

When I got my two flu shots I didn't get anything that said that I'd gotten the flu

shot(s). The cruiselines can't expect everyone to provide proof of the innoculations.

For those of you who think it is just another flu, try telling that to the 18 year old girl in our area who just had both her feet amputated due to contracting the H1N1 flu this past winter or the many previously healthy young men and women who died from complications of it.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2009/12/01/readers-kindness-humbles-poor-dad/

Australia went through last winter with tens of thousands contracting the H1N1 flu (beare in mind our population is only 21 million in total - so the statistics are high) The government has a campaign running for every man, woman and child living in Australia to be vaccinated - they preordered enough vaccine to enable this to happen. There was many millions of dollars lost last winter from people off work. Our daughter's boyfriend contracted it and I hope I never have to see someone so fit strong and healthy be reduced to such a miserable mess.

We had our vaccinations a few months ago, doesn't hurt, no side effects.

I spoke to our Dr about this last week who said next year is going to be much worse and recommends getting the jabs. Our family of four (two teenagers) will be definitely getting the shots over our summer.

Three of us are travelling overseas next year and the other one is at university -we're not taking any chances!

When I got my two flu shots I didn't get anything that said that I'd gotten the flu

shot(s). The cruiselines can't expect everyone to provide proof of the innoculations.

Our doctor gave us a signed letter stating that we had been vaccinated. I will be taking this on our future cruises. All you have to do is ask for it.

The other situation is that some years, the flu shot is not effective as they are guessing the strains of flu many months before the flu season and sometimes they guess the strains correctly and the vaccine works and other years, they are far off.

Not for everybody. I have several friends who tested positive for H1N1 and were only out for a few days.

And people die every year from the regular flu also.

Not for everybody. I have several friends who tested positive for H1N1 and were only out for a few days.

And people die every year from the regular flu also.

Yes, people die every year from the regular flu. Never said they didn't.

I did say the H1N1 is much worse than the regular flu. I've had both. I know. Believe whatever you want. :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. In answer to your question, I heard it from a coworker at work whose boyfriend is a police officer. He is the one who heard this from somewhere.He got a slip of paper stating that he had the shot. I dont know where he got his informaton from but I really didnt think that it would be a mandatory thing to have to have the shot to go on a cruise ship. They are going on a cruise in February, not Princess though. So Im happy to hear that it is probably just rumour. Thanks everyone, you have been most helpful.
Cruiselines never require shots or vaccinations for anything so it's doubtful they would require the H1N1 shot. What they do is follow the requirements of the countries you visit on your cruise. For instance, if the ship is stopping at Devil's Island, you are required to have a yellow fever shot or letter explaining why you can't. You will not be able to board the ship at the embarkation port without your vaccination certificate or letter, whether or not you plan to get off the ship. This is a requirement of the country, not the cruiseline.

There are many people who aren't able to get the vaccine. I'm one of them; when they get to my age group, it'll probably all be over.

Archived