E-Med Info please. Re: Time in ports

CruiseLunatic

I am looking at cruising the Eastern Med. What's the deal with the short periods on time in port. Some stops I have seen are a matter of just 3 or 4 hours. Is it worth getting off the ship. Could someone tell what that's all about and is it worth it. We cruise a good deal in the Caribbean and most stops are over 6 hours at a minimum.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Matt

What line are you looking at, and what ports? Most of the mainstream cruise lines spend a reasonable amount of time in port. I'm used to seeing a full day for Athens, Kusadasi, Istanbul, Rhodes, Santorini, and Corfu, to name a few. Shorter stops in Mykonos and Olimpia seem to be somewhat common, but certainly most lines allow more than 3-4 hours there.....

I've noticed that Costa and MSC tend to short you on port time. Docking fees are paid by the hour, I believe. Perhaps that's one reason their cruises are often cheaper....

What line are you looking at, and what ports? Most of the mainstream cruise lines spend a reasonable amount of time in port. I'm used to seeing a full day for Athens, Kusadasi, Istanbul, Rhodes, Santorini, and Corfu, to name a few. Shorter stops in Mykonos and Olimpia seem to be somewhat common, but certainly most lines allow more than 3-4 hours there.....

I've noticed that Costa and MSC tend to short you on port time. Docking fees are paid by the hour, I believe. Perhaps that's one reason their cruises are often cheaper....

Costa was most certainly short but NCL and RCCL had some short days as well. Not all, but a couple.

Cruise mom42,

I looked around and found some a bit better. I was limiting myself to one departure port as well. NCL and RCCL are better on most cases but still have a short stop or two. Must be the port charges. Costa is real short in most all cases. One of their stops appeared to be 3 hours. I can't imagine why the ship would even stop. Thanks for the information, and if you have some MUST SEE stops over there. Let me know.

Thanks again.

Port chages, IMAO, are a very minor item in the budget of cruise ships. I doubt any of them are making their port decisions according to the hourly port charge. Rest assured that if the ships could wedge in more shore excursions to sell, they would do it. Selling more excursions would more than pay for their port charges.

There are a great many factors involved in planning itineraries. The top item, of course, is nautical -- travel times, ship speeds, shipping lanes, port entrance and exit pilots, tides and all the myriad of factors the Captain has to consider with a ship of that size. I think in most cases, the travel time is the major factor. If the ship has a considerable distance to travel to the next port, it has to leave early in order to cover the distance.

There are certain ports which pretty much revolve around one principal attraction. Thus at Katakalon, Olympia is the sight to see! A port stop there can be long enough to allow travel to Olympia and back, and then move on. Similarly, Mykonos is a place either to visit Delos or to hit the beach. So the stop does not need to be long.

Now this does have the effect of making it more difficult for those posters on this board who are big DIY fans. Getting off the ship, onto the ship's bus, off to Olympia, tour the site, back to the ship can take place in less time than the DIY's will need to open their guidebook and find the center of town! So those folks who like to just wander and "get to know the locals" might not be so happy with short port calls.

I think any Med cruise will have a few short port days in it, just due to travel times. If a port fascinates you in a short call, then it is a great place to go back to later!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Cruise mom42, I looked around and found some a bit better. I was limiting myself to one departure port as well. NCL and RCCL are better on most cases but still have a short stop or two. Must be the port charges. Costa is real short in most all cases. One of their stops appeared to be 3 hours. I can't imagine why the ship would even stop. Thanks for the information, and if you have some MUST SEE stops over there. Let me know. Thanks again.

As an added consideration, don't forget that on some of the large and mega-large ships, you can have added time "consumed" with the getting off and re-boarding process. That will shorten your net time in these great Greek Isle and Turkish Coast port cities.

You would be very smart to depart from one city and then finish your cruise at another port city. In 2006, that is what we did in leaving from Athens (after enjoying three days there) and then completing the cruise in Istanbul (and doing an added two days in this great city). In some port cities, three or four net hours can allow adequate time to see the one or two key options there. Others require more time. Carefully consider your options on which cruise line, its stops and the other factors. Below are some pictures of what you can enjoy in Mykonos. We were there on a Sunday and it was not too crowded with any of the massive, giant ships that can over-run a small port city. Lots of love in these areas!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

1A-Mykonos-Dockside.jpg

1A-Myk-FishDock.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

Cruise mom42,

I looked around and found some a bit better. I was limiting myself to one departure port as well. NCL and RCCL are better on most cases but still have a short stop or two. Must be the port charges. Costa is real short in most all cases. One of their stops appeared to be 3 hours. I can't imagine why the ship would even stop. Thanks for the information, and if you have some MUST SEE stops over there. Let me know.

Thanks again.

If you're doing more than just the Greek isles, I'd consider Istanbul a must see. It's really like nowhere else -- historical, slightly exotic, but with very friendly people and very safe. Also quite easy to do on your own.

And speaking of Turkey, Kusadasi is a port that surprised a lot of people. It was a well settled area in antiquity (first by the Greeks, then the Romans) and boasts some of the most beautiful ruins I've seen anywhere, particularly at Ephesus.

Athens of course has incredible history; although the city doesn't always leave such a great first impression, it will grow on you if you keep an open mind (and remember that the antiquities of Athens are located smack in the middle of a crowded, hectic modern city).

Santorini is a frequent stop and one of the most beautiful Greek isles. Getting to Oia (rather than Fira, where the ships tender) is what you want to do for great scenery/photos.

If you're doing more than just the Greek isles, I'd consider Istanbul a must see. It's really like nowhere else -- historical, slightly exotic, but with very friendly people and very safe. Also quite easy to do on your own. And speaking of Turkey, Kusadasi is a port that surprised a lot of people. It was a well settled area in antiquity (first by the Greeks, then the Romans) and boasts some of the most beautiful ruins I've seen anywhere, particularly at Ephesus. Athens of course has incredible history; although the city doesn't always leave such a great first impression, it will grow on you if you keep an open mind (and remember that the antiquities of Athens are located smack in the middle of a crowded, hectic modern city). Santorini is a frequent stop and one of the most beautiful Greek isles.

Agree strongly with Cynthia that Istanbul is a super "MUST, MUST SEE"!!! Ideally, if you can start or end your cruise in Istanbul, that allows added time there. It is a large city with such great history, architecture, shopping, etc. We found Kusadasi/Ephesus and Bodrum to be huge surprises that provides some wonderful sights and sites. These Turkish Coast cities don't get the publicity that some of the Greeks Isles do receive. We loved these areas and especially Istanbul. Below are some visual samples for you can see and enjoy in charming, exciting Istanbul.

Vision of Istanbul as we arrived in the harbor:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

Inside Blue Mosque:

1A-Istanbul-BlueMosque.jpg

Night Visual of the Mosque:

1A-Istanbul-NightMosq.jpg

Inside Hagia Sophia with both Islamic and Christian visuals showing:

1A-Istbul-Hagia-Sophia1.jpg

Outside the "new" palace used by the Sultans in the late 1800's:

1A-Istbul-NewPalaceOutside.jpg

Cruise mom42,

Thanks again.

CL- lines such as Costa and MSC are usually used for European passengers, for whom the stops are not always very important......just want a stroll around, a cheap drink, some local food and shopping. I must admit being guilty of this myself. A UK cruise line is now offering a much wider selection of half-day tours on their cruises, reckoning that most pax have been there, done that. I should think that Costa and MSC will also be doing that.- jocap.

Thank you all so very much for the information. The photos were great as well. I am really looking forward to getting back over that way. My wife has never been. I was stationed in Turkiye in the 90's. Ankara area. I wish the lager ships could get into southern Turkiye. Places like Fetiye and Bodrum are very pretty as well.

Again thanks so much for all the help.

I'm ready to go.

Matt

Thank you all so very much for the information. The photos were great as well. I am really looking forward to getting back over that way. My wife has never been. I was stationed in Turkiye in the 90's. Ankara area. I wish the lager ships could get into southern Turkiye. Places like Fetiye and Bodrum are very pretty as well.

Again thanks so much for all the help.

I'm ready to go.

Matt

There are a few ships that stop in Fethiye and Bodrum, but you're right, the larger ones do not. I just did a land trip to Turkey this year after visiting on a cruise in 2006. I loved it; it's a wonderful country. I've enjoyed everything I've seen of the southern and western coast.

When people ask me the highlight of my just finished cruise, I say Turkey. We stopped at five ports there and all were great. In addition to Istanbul, Kusadasi, Bodrum and Fethiye, Antalya is a great modern city and the nearby sites of Perge and Aspendos were some of the best ruins we saw on our Ancient Empires cruise.

Best ampitheatre: Aspendos with Epidaurus in Greece a close second.

Best mosaics: Paphos in Cyprus followed by the Terrace Houses in Ephesus, and Herculaneum.

Best small resort for strolling, shopping and possible boating excursion: Bodrum, with Fethiye a close second.

Most amazing city: Istanbul, but we were pleasantly surprised with Athens.

When people ask me the highlight of my just finished cruise, I say Turkey. We stopped at five ports there and all were great. In addition to Istanbul, Kusadasi, Bodrum and Fethiye, Antalya is a great modern city and the nearby sites of Perge and Aspendos were some of the best ruins we saw on our Ancient Empires cruise.

Best ampitheatre: Aspendos with Epidaurus in Greece a close second.

Best mosaics: Paphos in Cyprus followed by the Terrace Houses in Ephesus, and Herculaneum.

Best small resort for strolling, shopping and possible boating excursion: Bodrum, with Fethiye a close second.

Most amazing city: Istanbul, but we were pleasantly surprised with Athens.

Agree with Maryann!!! We were wonderfully pleased with what we say in Bodrum, Ephesus and Istanbul. You have a wonderful list of options to consider for future visits. Athens has some super-star options to enjoy. Will post some pictures from there on a new thread.

The problem with the 7-night itineraries into the E Med from Venice (or Trieste) is that there isn't enough time. The lines desperately want to get passengers to the 'honey-pot' destinations: Santorini, Mykonos, Athens, Katakolon, but the problem is that the run down the Adriatic sea is long. For whatever reason they prefer to have stops in Italy and the Balkans (e.g. Dubrovnik) as well, and this just uses up time. My personal opinion is that if you're restricted to a 7-night itinerary, then the W Med cruises are better: most of these include places such as Barcelona, a port in South of France, at least a couple of Italian mainland ports, maybe a port in Sicily, and perhaps Mallorca, with usually a full day (just about) in each of them.

If you can find more time then itineraries such as Celebrity's 10 and 11 nighters from Rome are excellent. All cover Naples, Santorini, Mykonos, and Athens, with at least a full day at each. The ten nighters add a shorter call at Messina, and full-day calls at Rhodes and Kusadasi; the 11 nighter eschews Sicily and Rhodes, keeps Kusadasi, and add Istanbul. Both of these itineraries are excellent.

The problem with the 7-night itineraries into the E Med from Venice (or Trieste) is that there isn't enough time. The lines desperately want to get passengers to the 'honey-pot' destinations: Santorini, Mykonos, Athens, Katakolon, but the problem is that the run down the Adriatic sea is long. For whatever reason they prefer to have stops in Italy and the Balkans (e.g. Dubrovnik) as well, and this just uses up time. My personal opinion is that if you're restricted to a 7-night itinerary, then the W Med cruises are better: most of these include places such as Barcelona, a port in South of France, at least a couple of Italian mainland ports, maybe a port in Sicily, and perhaps Mallorca, with usually a full day (just about) in each of them.

If you can find more time then itineraries such as Celebrity's 10 and 11 nighters from Rome are excellent. All cover Naples, Santorini, Mykonos, and Athens, with at least a full day at each. The ten nighters add a shorter call at Messina, and full-day calls at Rhodes and Kusadasi; the 11 nighter eschews Sicily and Rhodes, keeps Kusadasi, and add Istanbul. Both of these itineraries are excellent.

Great point on the limits of a seven-day cruise. We sailed from Athens to Istanbul in seven days allowing time to visit three Greek Isles and have two stops along the Turkish Coast. It worked very well, including the three added days prior to the cruise in Athens and two days additional at the end in Istanbul. Sailing from Venice allows time to see some of the Croatian Coast, but it does take more sailing time. The good news is that there are many, many cruise options at different quality, ship sizes, etc., for this area. If you can sail there in the spring or fall, you would avoid the summer heat and peak crowds of July and August, plus get better pricing.

• 1 month later...

An excellent alternative for well scheduled cruises with good amount of time in the ports is Oceania. I have done Istanbul - Rome 14 days last summer. The only bad call was Olbia (Even a picture of the church was not worth a pixel!) As extra you enjoy a very high quality cuisine on board.

The year before Dubrovnik - Venice on Windstar was simply wonderfull. They call smaller ports where big cruise vessel canot enter. It is 180° different! It is certainely an alternative for people who want something romantic or special, feeling home on de private yacht nearly! (Beware! After Windstar you will have difficulties to adapt yourself to bigger cruises liners!!:):) )

Now I admit I was surprised to see from the Hotel at Dubrovnik where we stayed a few days before, an MSC vessel arriving at 08h .... leaving port at 12h !!! Visiting the walls at Dubrovnik which is great takes already 2hours!

Taking the time to dise"mbark on such bigger vessel and reembark and even if the city center is close by the Libertas buses... you will have to visit Dubrovnik as a jogger! Not very serious.

Archived