Grandeur Questions

Mary&Jim

Hi everyone,

I will be sailing soon on the Grandeur with my DH and some friends. I'm interested in hearing from someone who has sailed on her recently. Food, entertainment, etc... We've been on many of the RCCL ships, but not this class.

Thanks in advance.

Mary&Jim

Did a mexican riviera cruise about 5 years ago. Ship broke down on the way back to San Diego and had to be towed in. Our cruise left a day late. We did not miss any stops though. Old, Run down, Small, Had a big dent in the left side of the bow. We never saw or met our room guy. The food was good and the staff was very nice. I guess I am just spoiled as I have only been on the bigger ones. Just my opinion, but you asked.

We have sailed the Grandeur many times on not only short 5 day trips to Bermuda and longer 12 and 14 night cruises all the way to the Domincan Republic and Columbia. The ship was in dry dock a few years back and was given a new pool deck, all new carpets, new bedding and the Windjammer and dining rooms were completely remodeled. So it is far from a run down ship -- it is instead a very well maintained ship with a staff that makes it a joy to cruise. You'll enjoy a small ship atmosphere and experience you simply can not get on the larger ships due to the number of passengers. On this size ship your staff will know your name on the 2nd day of the cruise and will have time for personal service. We have always found the food above average for a RCCL ship with the Windjammer especially above par. This size ship has no specialty restaurants or Johnny Rockets but there is a great pizza and burger place in the solarium for snacks. The solarium is also a favorite of ours, where you can open a window by your lounge chair and get some fresh air if you like. Although there is no promenade the centrum on this size ship is a great place to read a book, people watch or just enjoy live music without feeling you are taking up a seat without buying a drink. (If you are not a drinker.)

I don't think you will be disappointed.

We were on Grandeur in July - 5 day to Bermuda. Smoothest ride I've ever had on any ship. We never felt really crowded onboard and had a relaxing trip. We ate all meals in the DR, except on embarkation day when we ate in the buffet. Since we were in group 1 for boarding, we were among the first 25 people up there and had no problem grabbing a seat and eating (around 12:30). Later, after we had eaten and we were wandering around, the tables were packed, just as on any cruise the first day. The pizza and burgers are nothing I would ever cruise for. Carnival's burgers are a lot better, but I've yet to have really good pizza on any cruise ship. The food overall was just okay. The ship was in pretty good shape and other than the fact our toilet wouldn't stop filling up and wasn't repaired until 1 am the second night, we had no real complaints. RCI gave us a credit towards the next cruise for the inconveniece of the repair because it was supposedly done earlier during the day and wasn't. Entertainment was good overall. We loved the Solarium as it was very, very windy and with the cover closed, it made for a great place to sit and read. We're empty nesters so we also enjoyed the adult only status of the Solarium.

Great ship & well kept. If you go around looking for worn spots, I suppose you could find them on any ship. I don't care to go around looking for worn spots, I have too little time left from having fun.

We sailed on Grandeur twice. Both times the food has been good to excellent. But I think there was more times excellent in 2009! Service was excellent & friendly. We love the solarium.

The production shows were the same ones we saw in 2007, but weren't bad. We had a show by Marty Allen & was pretty good.

The dent is long gone!

I'll be on Granduer in April so be sure to let me know what you think. I've been on most of the other Vision Class ships and alwyas find them nice. Sailed on Jewel and Voyager also, but I don't feel that I could ever describe Vision ships as small. They're just not mamoth. I like them. Lots of great views of the ocean throughout the ship.

Thanks to everyone for such a quick reply. We leave Monday out of Tampa for ten days. We got a great deal that we couldn't pass up. We are not fussy and are pretty easy to please. A quiet corner and a good book always works for me.

Thanks again.

Mary&Jim

Mary, this was the first ship I repeated. I love the 'vision-class' (but have migrated to the 'radiance-class). She doesn't have the bells & whistles of the newer ships but the crew are super (it was Dec 08 that I sailed). The ship itself was still pretty (it was 10 years to the day that I sailed on her first). Like geojobes has mentioned, it is an older ship and if you spend your time finding fault then perhaps you will find it and not enjoy the cruise. I don't. Had a super cruise. The Solarium is great. The Viking Crown is too (for a quiet reading place out of the sun but still great views).

Have a great cruise!

Thanks to everyone for such a quick reply. We leave Monday out of Tampa for ten days. We got a great deal that we couldn't pass up. We are not fussy and are pretty easy to please. A quiet corner and a good book always works for me.

Thanks again.

Mary&Jim

Have a wonderful cruise and please come back and let us know what you think of her.

We were just on Grandeur on Nov 14 - 19 to Bermuda. To us she was great - yes maybe a little worn here and there but definitely did not impact our trip. Staff was great, I would love to do a 10 day on her -- we only had 4 due to our late departure from Baltimore. Enjoy :)

Thanks again.

Mary&Jim

We've cruised Grandeur three times out of Tampa. The last one was a ten day like yours. She's obviously not the newest thing in the fleet but for us, just the right size. We've always found her to be in great shape and she has a fantastic crew. Never felt crowded and she's one of our favorite ships.:)

Have a great cruise.

Search for posts or reviews by "Wraithe". One of the most ardent lovers of the Grandeur.

We have only been on her three times and would sail again in an instant. Great ship, great crew, not too big, but large enough not to feel crowded.

Phil

We just got off the Grandeur today from a 14 day cruise. I found the Grandeur to be a very nice ship even though I prefer the Radiance class to the Vision class. I thought the ship was well maintained for her age.

The staff was very friendly and Capt. Rob is the BEST! You'll love his daily announcements.

Just got off the Grandeur of the Seas today - did a 14 day repositioning from Baltimore. Visited Bermuda, Tortola, St Martin, Aruba Curacao Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Older ship - built in 1996, she is showing some wear. The staff is extremely friendly - we found everyone very accomodating. Food in Great Gatsby was good, did not really find the Windjammer food all that spectacular, but OK. Captain Rob was great - very dry sense of humor - we looked forward to his reports everyday. Entertainment was average. Chocolates on pillows are a thing of the past except for suites, trays in the Windjammer are no longer - they were there on our last cruise on the Grandeur in 2005. All in all a great cruise on a good ship.

We have been on her 3 times the latest was April. She is a smaller ship but I like that because I get lost. Very smooth sailing, great food, great service. She was in Baltimore because Baltimore can only have small ships because of the 2 bridges. They are going to bring in the Enchantment (or they already have) to replace the Grandeur.

Do you know if Marty Allen will still be on the Grandeur in Jan? We talked with him on the Grand Princess a long time ago and would love to see him again.

Does anyone know where it docks in Cozumel? I would love if it is at the downtown pier.lol

Search for posts or reviews by "Wraithe". One of the most ardent lovers of the Grandeur.

We have only been on her three times and would sail again in an instant. Great ship, great crew, not too big, but large enough not to feel crowded.

Phil

Thanks Phil for the plug.

I just returned Thursday from the 14 night repo on Grandeur. Still a great ship with the best crew I've encountered. I enjoy the food, the Diamond breakfast and Diamond evening lounge are really great. Excellent new additions. She's 13 years old, but they were working on her every day, replacing the walking deck floor, varnishing hand rails, painting. The Captain is really quite funny, I enjoy his sense of humor. Wouldn't hesitate to sail Grandeur again, although I'm going to miss the repo's from Baltimore. Her sister, Enchantment is on the way up next year, though, and I've already discovered that she is a very nice ship as well. Captain Rob is going to be transferring to Enchantment next year as well. OP, enjoy your cruise, wish I was back onboard already.

I was also on the 14 day repo. I love the Grandeur and its crew is the best, you can't find a better group. I will miss her not being in Baltimore.

I know they were working constantly to keep the ship in top shape. I am way too busy to check for carpet stains or things like that. I am just happy to be cruising.

I see absoulutely nothing wrong with the food in the Great Gatsby and the Windjammer. I always wonder where people eat at home who complain about the food on a ship.

Captain Rob is really a funny guy and we really enjoyed him.

Marty Allen was not on the 14 day repo.

I was also on the 14 day repo. I love the Grandeur and its crew is the best, you can't find a better group. I will miss her not being in Baltimore.

I know they were working constantly to keep the ship in top shape. I am way too busy to check for carpet stains or things like that. I am just happy to be cruising.

I see absoulutely nothing wrong with the food in the Great Gatsby and the Windjammer. I always wonder where people eat at home who complain about the food on a ship.

Captain Rob is really a funny guy and we really enjoyed him.

Marty Allen was not on the 14 day repo.

Hey Starlake, DW and I met at Star Lake Camp in Bloomingdale, NJ. Does your screen name have any connection?

We just got back from the 14 days repositioning cruise Nov 19 - Dec 3rd. This was my 3rd cruise with RCI and 1st on the grand Grandeur. We had the best cruise (we've been on 6) we have ever had. The food was fantastic in the Dinning Room. The breakfast was very good in the Windjammer except the pancakes were a little hard. Captain Rob was very involved, hysterical, available and aproachable. She is due for an overhaul in March or April but they were changing carpet somewhere almost every night and doing some painting while in port. Our room attendant was great, waiters were perfect and our Assistant Head Waiter, Rudy, kept us howling every night. we could not have asked for more.

We just got back from the 14 days repositioning cruise Nov 19 - Dec 3rd. This was my 3rd cruise with RCI and 1st on the grand Grandeur. We had the best cruise (we've been on 6) we have ever had. The food was fantastic in the Dinning Room. The breakfast was very good in the Windjammer except the pancakes were a little hard. Captain Rob was very involved, hysterical, available and aproachable. She is due for an overhaul in March or April but they were changing carpet somewhere almost every night and doing some painting while in port. Our room attendant was great, waiters were perfect and our Assistant Head Waiter, Rudy, kept us howling every night. we could not have asked for more.

When you say, "Due for an overhaul" will she be out of service, in dry dock or something else? I'm cruising her on April 3. Will she be fresh out of being serviced, or just about to go in? Anybody know?

Archived