Sailing this saturday on NOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone!

My DBF and I will be sailing on the Navigator this saturday...I am soooooooooo excited. I have read lots of reviews, some negative, some awful, some good, some great....please note that I always take all of the reviews with a heavy dose of salt. My expectations might not be your same expectations etc etc. But with that said.....

I have been looking at the dinner menues and the only night I keep scratching my head as to what to order is the first night.... I know I am going to order the vidalia onion tart, which is always a favorite but after that I am not sure...and I am not sure how to help out my DBF either...he has never cruised before so I know he will turn to me and say "Honey what are you going to get?" (We do this all the time BTW so we sample each others food). The only thing I am allergic to is shellfish but on the other hand, he LOVES shellfish and I always encourage him to get it even if I cant have any.

Any and all recommendations would be lovely, including dessert too!

Thank you all soooo very much and happy sailings to all!

Claudia:p

First of all, take good care of the Navigator for those of us who are sailing on 12/10.

My suggestion is to listen to your waiter's recommendations. They usually know what tastes the best.

Only some of the time and you're rolling the dice every time!

Don't decide this far in advance! See what you feel like when you sit down to eat!

Valid advise!

Whatever you choose, call room service and order the chorizo dip at some point during your cruise! :D OMG! Yum!

Well..I guess the only thing I have heard so far is the vidalia onion tart...you see people tell me wait till you get there...but really seriously...I am already thinking about food! I am such a food person I am already thinking about it....plus its my BF first cruise and I dont want him to have a horrible meal...I heard that the shrimp ravioli ( and its something my honey would love) is good but too small, and my BF has a good appetite so....anyone has tried the prime rib do they cook it well done? I personally like it mooing...:D

I also heard that the salmon with the braised lentils on the first night is preety good too..anyone know??

Happy sailings!

Only some of the time and you're rolling the dice every time!

Valid advise!

Whatever you choose, call room service and order the chorizo dip at some point during your cruise! :D OMG! Yum!

You are rolling the dice on your waiters advice mostly because they get feedback from first sitting passengers and change their recommendations accordingly. My waiter told me the new crab cakes weren't recommended by his first seating guests and I tried them anyways and wasn't found of them. But originally at early seating he was recommending them.

I liked the chicken from the alternative menu. My mom enjoyed the salmon.

The low fat or sugar free (can't remember which) mint cake was yummy too. Didn't taste low fat or sugar free. And I love the ivory chocolate mousse.

You can order the steak or beef rare, Medium rare, M, MW or Wd. At least that's what it says on the sheet my waiter put his e-mail ady on:)

I agree about the chorizo dip.

I was going to reccomend the Prime Rib before I read your last post...yes you can get it medium rare and it seems EVERY cruise line has Prime Rib the first evening and I ALWAYS order it.....its a great way to start the cruise with a heaping slab o beef! :D

Well..I guess the only thing I have heard so far is the vidalia onion tart...you see people tell me wait till you get there...but really seriously...I am already thinking about food! I am such a food person I am already thinking about it....plus its my BF first cruise and I dont want him to have a horrible meal...I heard that the shrimp ravioli ( and its something my honey would love) is good but too small, and my BF has a good appetite so....anyone has tried the prime rib do they cook it well done? I personally like it mooing...:D

I also heard that the salmon with the braised lentils on the first night is preety good too..anyone know??

Happy sailings!

Don't worry about anything being too small! You can order seconds, thirds, fourths, etc....

Enjoy your cruise!

Happy sailings!

It is possible to get the prime rib rare. You have to really stress that you want it really rare. I usually ask them to get the rarest one they can find and it has always been very good.

Someone tell me - what is this chorizo dip? I am thinking we would like this....

Chorizo is a type of somewhat spicy Latino sausage. the dip is full of chorizo chunks and chili like spices and cheese. The give you tortilla chips to dip. GREAT! We watched the National Championship game last January and ordered it from our room and then took it to the bar! (they wouldn't deliver room service to the bar -- we asked -- and offered good $$$). Luckily, my wife was in the room and was nice enough to bring it to us! :eek::D:p

Teacher, as others have said, your bf can order two orders of the shrimp ravioli. When he's almost done with the first dish, they'll just bring a second one. People do it ALL the time.

Second, I'd stay away from the salmon. People tend to overcook salmon. The last time I was on an RCCL ship, my friend ordered the salmon and returned it because it was so overcooked it was WHITE. So she ordered a second one and asked for it rare. It was completely white again. WAAAAAY overcooked. (Our waiter was also pretty crappy so I doubt he did anything but just give her a different one that was sitting there cooking itself under the heat lamp.)

Salmon's tricky. It's like tuna. If you overcook to the point it's no longer the right color, it doesn't even taste like salmon (or tuna) anymore! So bewaaaaaaare!! :)

Other than that I'd say worry about your meal when you get the menu. You can get suggestions like crazy here and then see something no one mentioned and think, "Wow, I'll have THAT." Or you'll say, "I'd have that but no one mentioned it on Cruise Critic so it must not be good." Remember, 1% of cruisers are on these boards and many many less are on the RCCL board specifically. You're gonna drive yourself cRaZy! :)

Archived