New Epic build pictures?

ddakrt

I'm seriously dying here. It looks like my cabin has a freakin' lifeboat directly in front of it! 8197 I trusted my travel agent to get me a balcony cabin and I needed it on the 8th deck because my dh gets motion sick. :( I would have paid more for an unobstructed view. It's not like we asked for cheap balconies. I was so excited and now I just feel robbed. It's not like we came in late in the game....we planned this cruise months ago and there were plenty of options at the time we booked.

Sorry for my rant. :(

De - There's still availability on our ship ... maybe you can get it changed ...

I'm going to sure try or at least double check that the boat is not directly in front of my balcony. I don't care if its directly below me, I'm scared to look down anyway lol. It just sucks, we didn't get this cabin because we were trying to be cheap. :( At one point we talked about upgrading to a deluxe balcony and my ta talked me out of it.

I'm seriously dying here. It looks like my cabin has a freakin' lifeboat directly in front of it! 8197 I trusted my travel agent to get me a balcony cabin and I needed it on the 8th deck because my dh gets motion sick. :( I would have paid more for an unobstructed view. It's not like we asked for cheap balconies. I was so excited and now I just feel robbed. It's not like we came in late in the game....we planned this cruise months ago and there were plenty of options at the time we booked.

Where did you get this info? I dont think they would allow a lifeboat to obstruct a view in any way. There may be a lifeboat below you but i doubt it is directly blocking your balcony. Please let us know what photo you are referring to or where you get this information.

You guys are making me feel a lot better. This is the picture that made me freak out, hopefully for no real apparent reason. When I count down and over it looks like my cabin has a lifeboat in front of the balcony. I don't care if its below me as I'm a bit afraid of heights and never look down anyways.

2010NCLEPIC10423-vi.jpg

lol you haven't lost your mind - it's been a busy couple of days! I can't figure out how to put in "clickable" links but here is address for very clear photo of lifeboats under the balconies

http://www.cruisefans.nl/rotterdam2010/nepica19061004.html

It's from the website someone posted on another thread with 4 pages of Epic photos.

kj

Due to this ship desigh, it's very difficult to find a good cabin to meet your requirements. Most of 8th deck cabins are totally unacceptable due to lifeboats. 9th and upper decks are affected as well because lifeboats are huge and placed completely outside. Another problem for upper decks is the view of roofless balconies below them.

This is what I did.

I studied deck plans carefully and compared them with Epic construction/sea trials photos available at the time of booking. When I called the agent, I gave him exact number of the cabin I wanted and he booked that cabin for me.

Look at the picture below.

I would avoid obstructed view cabins on the 8th deck (red).

Cabins on the decks 8 and 9 marked in yellow have partitions but no roof!

I would avoid those cabins as well.

Respectively cabins at least 2 decks above colored zones are not good in terms of pleasant view. Some of them (above the first and the second yellow zone) combine disadvantages of seeing both roofless balconies and lifeboats below them.

It's a good idea to carefully select cabins before making reservations on the Epic.

norwegianepicobstructed.jpg

I'm seriously dying here. *It looks like my cabin has a freakin' lifeboat directly in front of it! *8197 *I trusted my travel agent to get me a balcony cabin... *I would have paid more for an unobstructed view. *It's not like we asked for cheap balconies. *I was so excited and now I just feel robbed. *:(

I hope your TA isn't reading this!*

Looks like the boats are UNDER the balconies, not in front of them

Yes. Technically lifeboats are under the balconies. But when you are in the balcony you'll see this huge pieces of equipment instead of sea.

And those roofless balconies. With several decks above them, anyone can drop cigarettes, etc.

Where did you get this info? I dont think they would allow a lifeboat to obstruct a view in any way. There may be a lifeboat below you but i doubt it is directly blocking your balcony. Please let us know what photo you are referring to or where you get this information.

Well there's a coincidence, I'm a new member and we're in 8197 on the maiden voyage on 24 june from Southampton. As far as I can see, there are no lifeboats in front of 8197, however it does have a roofless balcony which may limit privacy.

I work in the Netherlands and was lucky enough to see the Norwegian Epic arrive in Rotterdam yesterday on my way to pick up the ferry back to my home in the UK - it was quite a talking point in Holland as it is the largest ship ever to dock in Rotterdam, or indeed the Netherlands.

I was on Ocean Village 2 a couple of years back and it makes that look like a rowing boat.

I'll let you know over the next couple of weeks exactly what the onboard experience is, oh and what 8197 is actually like - We'll keep it clean anyway -:))

Yes. Technically lifeboats are under the balconies. But when you are in the balcony you'll see this huge pieces of equipment instead of sea.

And those roofless balconies. With several decks above them, anyone can drop cigarettes, etc.

There are nearly a dozen Princess Grand-class ships or variations thereof, all with decks of exposed roofless balconies, and I don't recall it being a problem with them. What is NCL's smoking policy on balconies? It is a bit of a disappointment to not be able to look straight down and see the waves, but you can still look straight out past them and still see the ocean, or maybe book higher balconies.

P.S. There are actually quite a few balcony cabins on EPIC where you actually can look straight down and see the waves (or just past one of those exposed balconies). There are also about 10 balcony cabins on each side all the way aft that can look straight down with no obstructions. This is going to be a ship were doing some cabin research with pictures and a deck plan is going to be important.

Archived