Dream - Cancelling stop in San Juan

Tom-n-Cheryl

Carnival KNOWS where the Dream can dock and where it can't. Anything can prevent a ship from docking - but it is usually weather or seas. Could be a tidal event' date=' could be anything.

Poor planning is not one of the options.[/quote']

always a pleasure to watch you get proved incorrect.

hundreds of cruises under your belt don't make you a real authority it seems.

It could be something as simple as the tide...

The folks at New York told Carnival the Dream would fit there, as well...

:rolleyes:

The Dawn is only 60 feet longer. Sticking out 60 feet has nothing to do with boarding or anything else, plus Carnival could have used the Brooklyn port since that port is leased by Carnival. The Queen docks there and she is almost 200 feet longer than the Dream.

Seems like it's always someone elses fault never Carnival. Carnival wanted the glory of sailing out of Manhattan not out of Brooklyn.

If the Dream couldn't dock in PR why couldn't they tender?

What's wrong with Mexico? :confused:

Another blunder for Carnival and the Dream. They've really botched her introduction to the fleet.

After reading how they treat the crew (Cruise Confidential) I bet the managers are being treated just as poorly by THEIR bosses!!! It al trickles down from the top...and somebody up there is making poor calls.

Carnival Cruise Line who are you hiring to plan these things out?:eek:

50 to 80% full is good for the passengers. I bet you can make a great last min deal on that cruise.

Well, I have been looking for a February cruise, and since I typically sail on RCI, I was looking at 7 day cruises from Florida, and the Oasis is typically about 1000$ more per person as compared to the Freedom class ships on a very similar itinerary. So, I think the 50 to 80% number:rolleyes: is pure Barbara Streisand....:D

Paul, I have tendered on HAL most recently with the ships boats at the Falkland islands and they have crew trained to man these boats. If the crew was not trained to handle those boats, I am pretty certain the coast guard would not be very happy to learn this! I have, also, taken ships boats on RCI and Celebrity in the far ago past. In those cases the tenders looked like a typical lifeboat on the ship. IE I couldn't tell the ones used for tendering from the others. :cool:

jc

This one:

054.jpg

When I began to read this thread, I was wondering if the docking was trying to take place at this odd pier. I have never understood why such a piece of "art" was incorporated into its design. If it is going to be an obstruction to the larger ships that might dock there, why not just remove it. Or, is that too simple of a solution?

When I began to read this thread, I was wondering if the docking was trying to take place at this odd pier. I have never understood why such a piece of "art" was incorporated into its design. If it is going to be an obstruction to the larger ships that might dock there, why not just remove it. Or, is that too simple of a solution?

What if it acting as an exterior truss? Than it would be more than just taking it down.

STeve

50 to 80% full is good for the passengers. I bet you can make a great last min deal on that cruise.

On it's first revenue sailing, Oasis had close to 4900 passengers. 100% capacity (at double occupancy) is 5400 so it was pretty close.

RCCL has a history of underselling the first few sailings of a new ship so the crew can get accustomed to the routines, traffic patterns, etc.

Prices will continue to be high through Summer 2010 then will come down dramatically.

Well, I have been looking for a February cruise, and since I typically sail on RCI, I was looking at 7 day cruises from Florida, and the Oasis is typically about 1000$ more per person as compared to the Freedom class ships on a very similar itinerary. So, I think the 50 to 80% number:rolleyes: is pure Barbara Streisand....:D

Paul, I have tendered on HAL most recently with the ships boats at the Falkland islands and they have crew trained to man these boats. If the crew was not trained to handle those boats, I am pretty certain the coast guard would not be very happy to learn this! I have, also, taken ships boats on RCI and Celebrity in the far ago past. In those cases the tenders looked like a typical lifeboat on the ship. IE I couldn't tell the ones used for tendering from the others. :cool:

jc

Barbara Streisand LMAO. I looked too, for january 2011. The Carnival Freedom January 29 is cheeper and has much better ports,and is 8 nights. The Oasis is only 7 nights, an the ports are not as good. But I do want to see the Oasis, but is a matter of price and ports, that add's up to VALUE

It's RCCL's fault because the Dream couldn't port in San Juan:confused: LMAO!!!

from the article....

In the meantime, while Royal Caribbean developed the new port facilities, the cruise industry rapidly evolved into the mega cruise ship business by building larger ships with greater passenger capacity as in the case of Royal Caribbean’s new Oasis of the Seas, set to begin plying Caribbean waters later this month.

Even the Oasis of the Seas won’t be able to dock in Puerto Rico because the structure on the dock.

from the article....

In the meantime, while Royal Caribbean developed the new port facilities, the cruise industry rapidly evolved into the mega cruise ship business by building larger ships with greater passenger capacity as in the case of Royal Caribbean’s new Oasis of the Seas, set to begin plying Caribbean waters later this month.

Even the Oasis of the Seas won’t be able to dock in Puerto Rico because the structure on the dock.

What does that have to do with Carnival:confused: Are you saying the blind is leading the blind:confused::p

Thanks, AoS. That is the pier the Solstice has been using this year, so it's strange that the article would say the Equinox can't dock there - since they are the same ship. Oh well, it could just be misstatement in the article.

I just got a chance to get back to this thread and found that we had an answer. It looks like Carnival needed to fall on their sword on this one. They surely are to blame for not investigating more closely.

That's quite an attractive structure. It would be a shame to have to tear it down.

Does anyone know how high those wings are?

Also, I wonder if it was the support structures that go from the tip of the wings down to the dock that were the issue or the wings themselves.

Good to hear that most folks are enjoying themselves despite missing the port.

By the way, I had to delete a few posts because of copyright infringement but here's the link to the article that was posted:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/mach_man/Dream/Dream267.jpg

:)

What does that have to do with Carnival:confused: Are you saying the blind is leading the blind:confused::p

RCCL developed the dock.

"The ironic part of this is that the port was actually developed jointly by the government of Puerto Rico and Royal Caribbean.”"

"The pier in question, originally built in partnership between Royal Caribbean and the government of Puerto Rico, has been a source of contention between the two entities. Royal Caribbean invested in the improvements and expansion of the port’s facilities, expecting to be reimbursed by the government.

Even the Oasis of the Seas won’t be able to dock in Puerto Rico because the structure on the dock."

As mentioned, San Juan is not a regular port for Dream. It won't be for Oasis, either. RCCL certainly should have known better.
What should RCCL should have known exactly? That some day in the future the Carnival Corporation would built a ship that won't fit at the pier? What ever is hitting that wing thing on the pier must really stick out. Celebrity's Solctice class can and has docked there without a problem; RCCL's Freedom class can and does dock there without an issue - both ships larger than the Dream. I don't see how RCCL has an issue with this.

I didn't realize SJ wasn't a regular stop though, it's does seem like less of a big deal for that reason.

What should RCCL should have known exactly? That some day in the future the Carnival Corporation would built a ship that won't fit at the pier? What ever is hitting that wing thing on the pier must really stick out. Celebrity's Solctice class can and has docked there without a problem; RCCL's Freedom class can and does dock there without an issue - both ships larger than the Dream. I don't see how RCCL has an issue with this..

I would have thought they would have developed something that would allow their own ships to dock. The way they designed it even the Oasis cannot dock in San Juan.

Archived