Recent Zuiderdam experiences

We returned from a great cruise on Dec 3. Thanks to cruise critic I took the following things which I found to be very helpful. ...clothes pins. battery powered tea lights (for night lights), small spray airfreshner from Bath and Body Works, over the door shoe hanger, perfume samples instead of a bottle, and a pop-up clothes hamper.,,and an alarm clock.

I regretted not having a small over the shoulder purse. I tried to pack medicine for all minor illnesses however I forgot nose spray which we needed. It was available at the infirmary for less than $4.00 which was a huge help.

We traveled with my 10 year old grandaughter. The staff and passengers were very kind to her. We had a great trip. The staff was wonderful..never a grumpy moment. The staff at the Pinnacle was very charming which surprised me since I had read comments that they were very formal and stiff. At the Pinnacle we decided after sharing food, that the plain steak was better than the Steak Diane or the lobster. Other food favorites were the bread pudding and the sandwich station at the Lido, also the waffles at the Lido. Food at the Indonesian tea was much better than at the cupcake tea also the whole atmosphere was very interesting.

Our experience with disembarkatin was a good experience. We left at our designated time..8:15 and had a porter help us retrieve our luggage (6 pieces) he then took us directly to a Southwest rep outside the cruise terminal. For $10 a person, the Southwest rep printed our boarding passes and checked our luggage all the way to San Antonio. This made my husband a happy person.

Our tours in Panama and Costa Rica were long which left very little time for shopping for souveniers. In Costa Rica we did the tour which included bus, train, and boat and I felt it could have been better..too much time on plants and animals and very little time at the banana plant which is what I was most interest in. Nest time I will look at the length of tours more closely before I make choices.

I enjoyed the shows and entertainment, especially the singer who did a lots of 50s and 60s music. Even the magician was good and I don't even like magic shows.

We had no problems with the condition of the room. My grandaughter even commented on the comfort of the sofa bed. She was thrilled with room services which arrived promptly with the correct food.

I hopes this helps someone,

Marcia

Thanks Marcia for your review. What most interested me was the positive interaction between staff and your granddaughter. We'll be travelling on the Zuiderdam to Alaska in May with family -- 8 grandchildren in total, so I appreciated your comments.

Did your granddaughter attend Club HAL at all? If so what did she most enjoy/dislike?

Our grandaughter is 10 years old. She went to Club HAL the first night and enjoyed the crafts projects but didn't seem to want to go again. She finally said that most of the kids were younger so she preferred to stay with us. Sometimes the HAL staff took the kids to the shows as a group. The in room TVs show cartoon network which she enjoyed. Sometimes I had to be firm with her regarding turining the tv off and going to cruise activities. Another high point for her was the dessert extravangaza. If you are going to Half Moon Cay with kids, take your own beach toys---pails and shovels. We had a cabana which included floats and snorkle gear which was nice. For kids a nice touch would be to take a small bottle so they could bring home a sample of Half Moon Cay sand. It is like powder.

Marcia

Archived