RUBY Princess cabin R748/750

Welshman & Yorkshire l

We completed the Eastern caribbean cruise on the Ruby last friday (4th Dec)

My wife and I were in cabin R748 and whilst everything else about the cruise was absolutely fantastic this cabin is not for people who want privacy.

We were subjected to people from the Dolphin pool deck looking into our balcony, from the Caribe deck above us and from the deck above that, all had unobstructed views down into our balcony.

Added to this (The Cherry on the cake) there was a camera (probably linked to the bridge) also looking down into the balcony.

Other issues included finding food on the balcony floor from the deck above and also on one occasion I was splashed (I assume by a person having a drink) on my arm.

Despite complaints and requests to move I was told that the ship was full and no other staterooms were available.

I shall be writing to the company as I believe there is much that can be done to ensure more privacy in these cabins (I assume R750 suffered the same issues).

The ship was fantastic, the staff very good and every thing else was of a very good standard.

I have taken photographs and when I have a minute I will download them.

We would definately go with Princess again but not in either of these cabins!!!!!:(

My wife and I were in cabin R748 and whilst everything else about the cruise was absolutely fantastic this cabin is not for people who want privacy.

We were subjected to people from the Dolphin pool deck looking into our balcony, from the Caribe deck above us and from the deck above that, all had unobstructed views down into our balcony.

Added to this (The Cherry on the cake) there was a camera (probably linked to the bridge) also looking down into the balcony.

Other issues included finding food on the balcony floor from the deck above and also on one occasion I was splashed (I assume by a person having a drink) on my arm.

Despite complaints and requests to move I was told that the ship was full and no other staterooms were available.

I shall be writing to the company as I believe there is much that can be done to ensure more privacy in these cabins (I assume R750 suffered the same issues).

The ship was fantastic, the staff very good and every thing else was of a very good standard.

We would definately go with Princess again but not in either of these cabins!!!!!:(

Thanks for posting the comments about these cabins, are all 4 in the same vulnerable spot from above or just the 2 inside ones?

I know alot of people have been asking about them. :)

I have the cabin on the outside booked next month and would love to see your photos.

Thanks for an interesting and informative post. I had considered these cabins a while ago and after a lot of research (couldn't obtain anything concrete) decided against it.

Last month on the Ruby I made it a point to check on these cabins and agree with everything you've said. A very poor accommodation. No more privacy than a chair around the pool

We had an open cabin on Dolphin Deck...and it didnt bother me in the slightest...in fact I loved the open vistas it provided.....now and again I noticed a few people on balcony's above, but to be honest I think it was the ocean they were looking at rather than me applying suncream!.....saying that, if people want to spend their vacation spying on me sunbathing and drinking Rum and Coke - they're free to knock themselves out...:cool:

My impression is that the two outside cabins will have better privacy, they cannot be seen from the pool deck but will still be overlooked by the decks above (and the bridge cameras).

Personally I would not take any of these 4 cabins again.

As one person has stated, there is a difference being overlooked from another balcony than from a public area.:rolleyes:

My impression is that the two outside cabins will have better privacy, they cannot be seen from the pool deck but will still be overlooked by the decks above (and the bridge cameras).

Personally I would not take any of these 4 cabins again.

As one person has stated, there is a difference being overlooked from another balcony than from a public area.:rolleyes:

One of the outside cabins is still available on my upcoming cruise. I think it's R750, which is not adjacent to the terrace pool. It's next to R748. I had thought about moving to that cabin. After reading this thread, maybe I should just stick with B419 Baja balcony and save some money too.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to comment on R750 on the Ruby as I stayed in this cabin for the December 14th sailing.

Privacy - Not completely private but I had no complaints. Anyone standing at the railing at the Terrace Pool would have to go to great lengths to see anything or anyone on the balcony. From above you can look down onto the balcony from the Sun Deck (Deck 16) and from the Lido Deck (Deck 15) you can look diagonally down on it. You can only see approx 1/4 of the entire balcony from above. I did not experience any food/cigarettes etc being tossed onto this balcony. I did not notice anyone looking down on me while out on the balcony at anytime.

Location - Probably the best location cabin that I've ever had. The aft views are amazing. It's literally 10 paces to the Terrace Pool and not much further to the Cafe Caribe. We spent all of our time on the loungers on the Sun Deck (16) above our balcony. There's room for only 7 loungers and is private and quiet. Anyone who spends alot of time at the Terrace Pool will like this location.

Noise - Because its at the end of the hallway and in a corner there is no noise from other passengers. I did not experience any noise from the Terrace Pool door slamming. On occasion I did hear deck chairs being moved around on the deck above the cabin but it wasn't bothersome. There was a peculiar noise that I heard 3 or 4 times that I couldn't explain. I think it was some sort of vent on the other side of the cabin wall near the emergency stairwell that was quite loud. It sounded like water draining through a pipe. Again, I only heard it a few times, and the noise only lasted a couple minutes at a time.

Cameras - After seeing this post prior to leaving, I paid extra attention to the cameras. There is a camera just above head level attached to the back of the ship where the balcony railing curls around and meets the ship. It is mounted further out and away from the balcony. This camera is aimed out and down to capture anything behind the ship. It in no way could possibly record anything on the balcony of R750. As for the camera above R748, there is a camera mounted directly above the balcony and is aimed out and down. I looked carefully at the angle and unless it has a very wide angle lens, there is no way the camera would be able to record anything on the balcony. Just my opinion, I did not confirm this with any officer on board.

If I had the opportunity again, I would definately book either of the two outside cabins R750/R751. I agree with the OP that the inside cabins R748/R749 afford very little privacy.

Having stayed in an aft cabin on the Crown B748, I would choose R750 over it simply for the location and accessibility to the Terrace Pool and Cafe Caribe.

I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Thanks Uxbridge Cruiser!

Of course, you know that we were also on that sailing.

I have to admit that we checked out your balcony while sitting at the Terrace Pool during the sailaway from Princess Cays....

Not YOUR balcony in particular!!!! We had no idea who might be in those staterooms.

My thoughts.... These balconies are small, and they kind of hang off the back of the ship. Hanging directly above the churning wake....

While I might appreciate one of the other AFT balconies, these little balconies suspended up on the Riviera were NOT for me.

I had seen that one had become available before our sailing, and after doing our research we did not take it. We were very glad that we stayed in our larger Caribe Deck balcony. Which we thoroughly enjoyed! A nice table for food and wine, two chairs and two reclining deck chairs...

Ohhh man, it is freezing here now...

Gotta miss those sunny low-80's temps.

It IS better in the bahamas!!! :p

Edited by Wishing on a star

I just wanted to comment on R750 on the Ruby as I stayed in this cabin for the December 14th sailing.

Privacy - Not completely private but I had no complaints. Anyone standing at the railing at the Terrace Pool would have to go to great lengths to see anything or anyone on the balcony. From above you can look down onto the balcony from the Sun Deck (Deck 16) and from the Lido Deck (Deck 15) you can look diagonally down on it. You can only see approx 1/4 of the entire balcony from above. I did not experience any food/cigarettes etc being tossed onto this balcony. I did not notice anyone looking down on me while out on the balcony at anytime.

Location - Probably the best location cabin that I've ever had. The aft views are amazing. It's literally 10 paces to the Terrace Pool and not much further to the Cafe Caribe. We spent all of our time on the loungers on the Sun Deck (16) above our balcony. There's room for only 7 loungers and is private and quiet. Anyone who spends alot of time at the Terrace Pool will like this location.

Noise - Because its at the end of the hallway and in a corner there is no noise from other passengers. I did not experience any noise from the Terrace Pool door slamming. On occasion I did hear deck chairs being moved around on the deck above the cabin but it wasn't bothersome. There was a peculiar noise that I heard 3 or 4 times that I couldn't explain. I think it was some sort of vent on the other side of the cabin wall near the emergency stairwell that was quite loud. It sounded like water draining through a pipe. Again, I only heard it a few times, and the noise only lasted a couple minutes at a time.

Cameras - After seeing this post prior to leaving, I paid extra attention to the cameras. There is a camera just above head level attached to the back of the ship where the balcony railing curls around and meets the ship. It is mounted further out and away from the balcony. This camera is aimed out and down to capture anything behind the ship. It in no way could possibly record anything on the balcony of R750. As for the camera above R748, there is a camera mounted directly above the balcony and is aimed out and down. I looked carefully at the angle and unless it has a very wide angle lens, there is no way the camera would be able to record anything on the balcony. Just my opinion, I did not confirm this with any officer on board.

If I had the opportunity again, I would definately book either of the two outside cabins R750/R751. I agree with the OP that the inside cabins R748/R749 afford very little privacy.

Having stayed in an aft cabin on the Crown B748, I would choose R750 over it simply for the location and accessibility to the Terrace Pool and Cafe Caribe.

I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Thanks so much for the positive comments on this balcony. We have R751 booked in less than two weeks. I don't mind having a small balcony -- I've just never needed a lot of space. I'm not too concerned about cameras either, as I'm not going to be doing anything on my balcony worthy of viewing:eek:! I just like to have a little privacy so people are not subjected to my jammies and bed head first thing in the a.m. while I enjoy my morning beverage!

Thanks so much for the positive comments on this balcony. We have R751 booked in less than two weeks. I don't mind having a small balcony -- I've just never needed a lot of space. I'm not too concerned about cameras either, as I'm not going to be doing anything on my balcony worthy of viewing:eek:! I just like to have a little privacy so people are not subjected to my jammies and bed head first thing in the a.m. while I enjoy my morning beverage!

You can easily sit on the balcony out of view without anyone seeing you.

Although the balcony is smaller than other aft balconies they are not much different in size from port or starboard balconies on most decks.

• 5 months later...

I've just been moved to one of the 4 C grade cabins at the back of Riviera deck. I didn't know it had any kind of balcony at all so I'm happy with that. Is the Crown the same as the Ruby - the deck plan looks the same.

I've just been moved to one of the 4 C grade cabins at the back of Riviera deck. I didn't know it had any kind of balcony at all so I'm happy with that. Is the Crown the same as the Ruby - the deck plan looks the same.

No the Ruby is the only one with balconies back there.

All the other ships have 2 round port holes.

Edited by Colo Cruiser