Camera for upcoming cruise

ckr31

I am in the market for a good point and shoot camera for my upcoming cruise that is simple to use for a novice as myself. I am looking for something reaqsonable in price HELP!

I've used a Nikon Coolpix S210 (think the newer model is S220) with good results. Also takes some nice video with it also. Under $150. Don't forget a SDHC card, however. Rechargable Batteries last a good time and spare batteries do not cost that much.

I am in the market for a good point and shoot camera for my upcoming cruise that is simple to use for a novice as myself. I am looking for something reaqsonable in price HELP!

I bought my daughter the waterproof fuji camera (Z33WP) around $169.00 with a bundle pack at amazon.com, Target also has it for around $159.00, great little camera that takes good pictures too! She used it in the pool in Mexico, and in the ocean without any problems.

There are all sorts of simple digital cameras on the market in the $100+ price range (some much higher!!). Go to any discount, photo or electronics store and let them show them to you. They all operate very similarly and are easy to use.

I got my Samsung PL65 (something something) at Costco here in Alberta and it only cost me CAD$169 or about USD$158. (10megapix and a 5X digital zoom lens)

Gotta watch out now when buying, because a lot of the new cameras on the market only come with quick startup sheets and you have to go online to get a full operating manual for the camera.

Rather than getting a camera with rechargeable AA batteries, I'd suggest you look for a camera that has the square lithium ion batteries, as they hold the charge longer and better.

Just came back from 30 days on the Star (SYD/LAX)...took 588 pics and all look superb.

Hope this helps.

Ciao for now!!!

I recommend a Panasonic Luminex DMC-LS85. Bought this for my DW and she not only loves it, she takes incredible pictures with it. For a $118 point & shoot, it has an "auto intelligent" mode that figures out on it's own whether you're shooting faces, landscapes, closeups, etc. Got it at B & H Photo and worth more than it's price. Uses AA batt's so no messing with chargers and such. Can't go wrong with this one I tells ya...:D

It depends on what you are looking for and what you plan on shooting most. Point and shoot digital cameras come in a variety of "categories", subcompact, compact, and superzoom. The subcompacts are good if you want to put the camera easily in your pocket to cary around. Compacts are a little bigger, but also a little cheaper. You will find standard stuff like 3x optical zoom, image stabilization, red-eye reduction, etc on these models. You can also get compacts that are waterproof/shockproof. These are nice if you want to take pictures underwater (or have kids that drop cameras) The superzooms are bigger cameras, but a little more capable and have zoom lenses that can go from 12x to 20x optical which is nice for shooting things that are farther away and have some more features depending on the model (RAW mode, manual controls, ISO control, etc) Needless to say they are more bulky to carry around. Most digital cameras have the ability to do video in varying capacities (standard to HD) Video is okay generally, but not something you would want to record a piano recital with. In general, you will find cameras with 10mp or better which is fine for the average user unless you plan on doing some serious editing or making the picture into a poster. Some have rechargable batteries other run AA. If it is a rechargeable battery, check to see how you recharge it. It may mean taking a separate charger along. AA are pretty easy to find, but in some cameras they do not last long or you end uo buying more expensive AA (e.g. Energizer Ultimate Lithium) Some cameras will have internal memory as well as a slot of some type of memory card (SD, memory stick, etc) You will usually want a memory stick so check to see if it comes with the camera and the storage capacity. Camera price may be right, but if you have to spend more for a memory card, something to keep in mind. Most cameras will transfer via USB to a computer. Some camera (e.g. Canon's) use a standard USB cable while others (e.g. Sony) uses a special USB cable. The camera will usually come with the cable.

I would recommend going to some place that you can physically see and play with the camera. The prices range from less than $100 to about $550 depending on what you get.

Tim

I love my new camera. Cannon Powershot D10.

Haven't been on my trip yet, but took some photos of the wife in the pool.

Test Run went great. Really neat little camera. Cost a little more, maybe $350

range if I remember correctly.

But it takes great photos, video, and is more ruggedly built than some of the

other waterproof digital cameras I've seen. (only downside is that its a bit

bulky to just slip in your pants pocket. Same length and height as others but

just a tiny bit wider because of the water proof lens housing...so I got a cool little case

to wear over my shoulder or on my belt)

Digitalwaterproof.jpg

AnaSwim-bubblessmall.jpg

AnaSwim-smilecomingatussmile.jpg

I'm on my second Canon camera in the "A" series. I like it because it has enough substance that I don't "wobble" when I shoot. Sometimes if a camera is too small it is easy to move when you're shooting. Just my two cents on the matter.

Haven't been on my trip yet, but took some photos of the wife in the pool. Test Run went great. Really neat little camera. Cost a little more, maybe $350 range if I remember correctly.

But it takes great photos, video, and is more ruggedly built than some of the other waterproof digital cameras I've seen. (only downside is that its a bit bulky to just slip in your pants pocket. Same length and width as others but just a tiny bit fatter because of the lens housing...so I got a cool little case to wear over my shoulder or on my belt)

Digitalwaterproof.jpg

AnaSwim-bubblessmall.jpg

AnaSwim-smilecomingatussmile.jpg

I saw this camera on Costco.com for $319. It looks fantastic!!

I an almost tempted to buy one. As you said its drop proof to 4 feet and good to 15 feet underwater.

Also saw it in St Thomas for $290!!

I have a G-10 which is about $450 and being replaced buy the G-11 which is $500. I think much more then the OP wants to spend but an excellent choice for me. :)

I saw this camera on Costco.com for $319. It looks fantastic!! I an almost tempted to buy one. As you said its drop proof to 4 feet and good to 15 feet underwater.Also saw it in St Thomas for $290!! :)

I'm a big fan of Cannon PowerShot cameras at what-ever price range you

are shopping in. They are idiot proof and take good photos.

The new D10 is drop-proof and its actually good to 30 feet underwater.

I'm having fun with it. Takes good shots out of the water also :D

We got tired of trying to hide our camera in our shoe or under the towel...when

we went swimming. So we got one we can take with us in the water since we

are always at the beach anyway.

I was shooting straight into the sun late in the afternoon, so wife is darkened-out,

But I wanted to get the sparkle of the waves breaking on the shore.

BeachdayatDadscondo030.jpg

Just point and shoot, my wife and I are not into photography but the camera makes it easy.

AnaSwim-Marksmall.jpg

Drop proof and good to 30 feet underwater. I'm having fun with it.

Takes good shots out of the water also :D

I was shooting straight into the sun, so wife is too dark,

But I wanted to get the sparkle of the waves breaking on the shore.

BeachdayatDadscondo030.jpg

Amazing, those Canon cameras take such fantastic photos. :)

If you have not seen them check out me Golden Alaska shots taken with my G-10....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1022921&highlight=alaska+redone

Haven't been on my trip yet, but took some photos of the wife in the pool.

Test Run went great. Really neat little camera. Cost a little more, maybe $350

range if I remember correctly.

But it takes great photos, video, and is more ruggedly built than some of the

other waterproof digital cameras I've seen. (only downside is that its a bit

bulky to just slip in your pants pocket. Same length and height as others but

just a tiny bit wider because of the water proof lens housing...so I got a cool little case

to wear over my shoulder or on my belt)

[

I have this camera and used it for the first time on my cruise last month. Took excellent pictures underwater. Video was not too bad either. I agree it is a bit bulky, but very resistant to being dropped, banged around etc. Let me 5 year play with it with out fear of accidentially dropping it or breaking it. The underwater setting woks great, but if you are taking both underwater and above water, you do need to change the setting back for the above otherwise they look a little less crisp.

Tim

I bought a Kodak Z712 IS before our cruise last Feb. Here are some samples of the pictures and video:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/575026950ZMwSlV

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I am going to be in the market for a new camera for the next vacation we take. Our camera has been acting up a bit lately so it will be time to buy a new one. This waterproof Canon camera sounds awesome! On our last cruise, I bought a waterproof aquapac bag for our camera which worked great, but it would be awesome to have something with built in waterproof and a little more reliable! Even though the aquapac never leaked water into the bag, I was a little worried that it might!

Until recently Olympus had the market cornered for underwater cameras and they still produce a very good range. Any of the SW or Tough series take great pictures and I have the Tough6000 at the moment for this South America cruise and it is proving to be excellent.

another Canon person here. My first digital P and S was a Kodak...too heavy and slow. My next was a nikon coolpix that kept breaking down. I have had after that 4 Canons. I give one to my son and then a second(as I upgraded mine). I have two left. work great.

latest is an sx100 with 10X mechanical zoom

Everyone's definition of "reaqsonable" as well as "good" is different.

Here is a good place to read at the best in many categories: http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

The most important thing is that it meets your unique needs. If you are easy to please then any of those noted above in any category you can't go wrong. Cameras today are like computers the differences are small. There is a REAL difference photo quality, and performance among them but to the unpicky user will be minimal. One decision ot make is do you really need/want a waterproof camera. There is no real reason that they perform less but the photo quality and performance are lower then comparable price non waterproof cameras and even cheaper ones too.

Happy shooting

Archived