Where to Stay in Sydney?

Have you searched for previous threads on this topic. Several smaller hotels and B and Bs and hostels have been reviewed. Also Priceline is a good place to get the best price on hotels...we only paid $150 for the Marriott so I'm sure that smaller hotels or those not so close to the pier would be less expensive. Good luck!

I have an upcoming trip to Sydney in January and was a bit confused when I started looking for a Hotel. Having had good luck in the past booking a Priceline Bid over seas I decided why not take a low ball bid on Priceline and see what happens. I found that if the timing is right you can get a 5 Star Hotel for under the $100 mark. I hope this helps. Tim

Suggestions for December/January accommodation, which is our summer holiday season -

Try hotel direct, as they have good specials in the school holidays, which always include a full breakfast, etc.

Prices are in Australian dollars and are inclusive of tax.

• Accor (Sofitel, Novotel, Mecure, Ibis, etc.)
  • Sebel (on harbour near OPT Circular Quay)

are a couple of chains which regularly advertise special rates.

Wotif.com is a good last minute website to check rates.

We tried the expediadotcomdotau site which offered great hotel rates for our pre-cruise stay in Sydney. We booked the Travelodge at about half the regular rate ( you have to pay at time of booking). Nothing fancy, but most reviews on Tripadvisor are positive.

OK people are talking about the Marriott and 4 Seasons but we're looking for something a bit (ok A LOT) less expensive - comfortable not luxurious. Perhaps in the $125/night range? Could I get some suggestions please? Perhaps B&B's, or local residents who take in wayfaring cruisers? Thanks!

You could also try wotif:

http://www.wotif.com/?country=AU

We've used this site frequently and never had any problems.

I used the priceline site and got a hotel called the Sir Stamford. It was in a terrific location, around $125 a night, and everything a small boutique hotel should be. It is across the street from the botanic garden, and literally 5 minutes walk from the Opera house and ferries. Perfect hotel, lovely staff. I recommend it wholeheartedly!

I used the priceline site and got a hotel called the Sir Stamford. It was in a terrific location, around $125 a night, and everything a small boutique hotel should be. It is across the street from the botanic garden, and literally 5 minutes walk from the Opera house and ferries. Perfect hotel, lovely staff. I recommend it wholeheartedly!

I second this recommendation, we stayed there as well, found a great price on orbitz. This is a wonderful hotel with great staff!

Depending on the time of year and the length of your stay, Rydges hotels are very good value for money.

www.rydges.com

I've stayed at Rydges World Square hotel which is very nice for as little as $AUD130. It is also right next door to the World Square Monorail station.

Also,dont forget North Sydney - just one or two stops on the train to Wynyard station in the city and you may even get a harbour view!

The Vibe hotel in Milsons Point is good and if you ask for a room at the rear of the hotel you willl get lovely views of tranqil Lavender Bay plus can walk down to the main harbour and look across to the Opera House. Just a block or two to the little village of Kirribilli for cafes & a few shops. If warm you can swim in the hotel pool but you are only a quick walk to the lovely old historic North Sydney baths which are almost right under the Harbour Bridge. The hotel is right opposite Milsons Point Station from which Wynyard is the next stop and you are in the heart of the city.

www.vibehotels.com.au

The Harbourview Hotel in North Sydney also has good rates from time to time. It is right above North Sydney station. North Sydney buzzes during the week but essentially is offices so dead/quiet on weekends. However it is an easy walk down Blues Point Road to McMahons Point cafes & restarants (recommend Lavender Blue). It is one train stop (Milsons Point) to Wynyard. Only stay here if you can get a harbour view room at a good price

www.viewhotels.com.au

As Marion said, the best bargains can be found on www.wotif.com. You'll not only find good pricing but also extras like breakfast thrown in.

Enjoy your stay.

Wow appreciate all your suggestions. The downside to my first choice - Priceline - is you've locked yourself in with no refund in case, God forbid, you can't take the cruise. Don't know if insurance would cover that. Anyway, come January I'll really start looking around.

If your cruise/hotel cancellation is due to a covered reason, a pre-paid hotel (such as Priceline) is usually covered if you have private insurance (as in, not through the cruise line). Hotels and airlines are 2 examples of reasons to get independent insurance (on top of the fact that it's just overall a good idea for the quality and comprehensiveness of coverage).

I used priceline to get the Sir Stamford, but not the name your own price part of Priceline. I believe for $5 you could buy insurance for the trip on their site as well.

I really can't recommend The Sir Stamford enough. It was literally 5 minutes walk from everything! My only complaint was that the coffee pot in the room had instant coffee, but someone on Trip advisor told me that before we left so I took coffee bags with me to make that first cup.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm keeping an eye out here and appreciate the continued input. That's good advice about insurance and we must consider that. We've already signed up for the platinum Princess insurance but of course it covers neither air nor hotel costs. However, if we have to cancel the flight, I believe our FF miles can be transferred to another flight within one year. I'm wondering if we can buy regular insurance just to cover us from L.A. to Sydney, which will include hotel cancellations even under priceline.

It's almost impossible to give a short answer to your trip insurance question. The airline, hotels, how you purchased them, the reason for cancelling, etc. are all individual things that TI policies may or may not cover. I would browse a TI broker website, many of them do a good job of explaining all the coverages, clauses, and exclusions. Check www.tripinsurancestore.com Their "front end" tutorial and selection tools are very helpful even if you purchase elsewhere. If you do buy from them, their customer service is excellent (although I've never had a claim).

Thanks Kenish - I'll check out that site. As for priceline, if you agree to a $5.00 a day surcharge you will get your money back under normal cancellation polities - i.e. 48 hours before arrival or so. However, I can tell you that my bid of $100 for a 4 o4 5 star hotel in the City Centre area was turned down. Denise

If you go to the Travelodge website they have cheap tuesday if you book that day, travelodge wyngard is the best one as the railway station is a short walk away that you can take directly to circular quay where the ship leaves am sure you would be able to leave your luggage at the quay hope this is of some help:D

Thanks Kay - One problem I have is a lack of sustained mobility - I simply don't walk well, although some days are better than others. One requirement for us is that we will be able to cab it to the ship so I think a Centre City place works best. If I keep pushing for a really good price at a 4 or 5 star hotel, what we save we can spend on lots of cabs. But I'm seeing good suggestions for less than 4 starts as well.

Archived