Flying for the 1st time, what to bring?

my $.02

My wife and I will be flying with our 2 year old DS this coming January, his first flight. Besides the DVD player, toys and snacks, what are some tips you can provide me with some things I may not have thought of?

We are flying from NJ to FLA, so about 3 hrs. Would love to hear some secret's you may have to make the flight as enjoyable and "stress free" as possible.

Fun snacks on the plane, ones that can take a while to eat and be fun like animal crackers or animal fruit snacks. Something to clear DS's ears just in case. Just a thought too. My DD packed diapers and baby stuff necessities in various suitcases just in case one didn't make it, she still had the other suitcase with stuff. We were flying to New Zealand and having to look for diapers when we landed was not something she wanted to do... or formula. So if there is something he can't do without, you might want to pack two.

I agree with something to keep ears clear---give a kiddie decongestant prior to flying....if he's sensitive to pressure changes (I am!) and his little ears start to hurt, it's a pain like a knife to the skull....ouch! Prevent that at all costs!

A small ball (tennis ball size) to let him roll around the airport gate area while you are waiting

Bubbles - the tiny bottles with the wand in the cap that will pass TSA screening

Stickers, especially if they have a background to go on

Empty sippy cup (fill it once you're past TSA checkpoint)

Don't stress about it too much if he's a decent car-traveler. I always severely overpacked when mine were smaller, and didn't use half of what I brought. You'll be amazed how long the airplane magazine, looking out the window, opening the pretzels, etc, keeps them busy!

I would recommend taking a change of clothes in a plastic bag in your carry on in case of an accident, (like the time my 5 yr old spilled juice all over himself with three hours to go before we landed.) I make sure that I have a plastic bag to put the soiled clothes in, in case it was particularily offensive. I also usually pack a small medicine kit with Tylenol, Benedryl, bandaids and anything else that I think might come in handy. This would just be part of a more extensive first aid kit that would be in the checked bags. The trick is to be prepared but to not overpack.

Hope this helps.

N.

My wife and I will be flying with our 2 year old DS this coming January, his first flight. Besides the DVD player, toys and snacks, what are some tips you can provide me with some things I may not have thought of?

We are flying from NJ to FLA, so about 3 hrs. Would love to hear some secret's you may have to make the flight as enjoyable and "stress free" as possible.

Bring an empty sippy or straw cup through security and then fill it with water before you get on the plane. There are sometimes long delays before the flight attendants start service, and you don't want a cup or water bottle that will inevitably spill all over clothes, toys, etc.

I bring lots of different kinds of snacks in small zip loc bags - there's something about being able to pull out a new type of snack that buys some "happy" time. You also want to have something more substantial to eat for all of you in case of a long delay on the tarmac either on take off or landing, which seems to happen more often lately and can turn a 3 hour flight into something much longer.

Best,

Mia

We have been fortunate where our flight times are often during nap time or we are up so early and the airplane lulls then to sleep. I make they they eat something at take off so that it would help their ears a little. I also pack a variety of snacks to keep them interested. We switch off games/books/toys quite often. Recently we flew on a 757 aircraft that had videos/games in each seat back and my littlest ones loves playing the games and watching a movie. We also gate check our stroller and car seats. We are 45 days away from our next trip and we talk about it daily. They are talking about what they will do on the cruise and what they will pack in their own carry-on back packs.

I think the sippy cup or other covered drink container is probably the most important thing. A 2 year old is too young to chew gum, but they'll still need to swallow to help their ears adjust to the altitude.

Aside from that, you know how to entertain your child. The dvd player is definitely your friend, as are small games, colouring books, etc. that can be used in a small confined space. :)

I LOVE the idea of a change of clothes and a plastic bag. Now that my daughter is 11, I am fairly confident that we won't need it, but I have to admit that I'm sitting here feeling very lucky that with all the travelling we've done I never found out how unprepared I was! :p

We love to take coloring books and the triangle-shaped crayons that won't roll off of the tray table. Our 2 yr old daughter LOVES, LOVES, LOVES post-its, so before each trip, I'll usually buy a stack of them in a fun shap and she is happily occupied sticking them on everything (and they're easy to remove!).

I also recommend getting to the airport early so that you don't feel stressed waiting in lines or going through security. We try to get to the airport 2 hrs before our departure time and it makes me feel better. =)

Safe travels!

A small ball (tennis ball size) to let him roll around the airport gate area while you are waiting

Bubbles - the tiny bottles with the wand in the cap that will pass TSA screening

Don't stress about it too much if he's a decent car-traveler. I always severely overpacked when mine were smaller, and didn't use half of what I brought. You'll be amazed how long the airplane magazine, looking out the window, opening the pretzels, etc, keeps them busy!

Bubbles on an airplane? Small tennis-size ball to roll around the gate area?

Airport gates tend to get pretty crowded, with different age groups and abilities, carry-ons all over the place, lack of seats, and constant trafficking. I would REALLY hate it if I tripped over a rolling tennis ball! I don't even know if blowing "Bubbles" is even allowed in-flight, but I would not be happy if I had to endure soapy bubbles breaking on or near me!

I agree with the sippy cup and the Zip Lock change of clothes. I would add to please bring wipes and at least one large empty Zip Lock to store used disposable diapers, since you will most likely have to change them in your lap. Thanks.

Bubbles on an airplane? Small tennis-size ball to roll around the gate area?

Airport gates tend to get pretty crowded, with different age groups and abilities, carry-ons all over the place, lack of seats, and constant trafficking. I would REALLY hate it if I tripped over a rolling tennis ball! I don't even know if blowing "Bubbles" is even allowed in-flight, but I would not be happy if I had to endure soapy bubbles breaking on or near me!

I agree with the sippy cup and the Zip Lock change of clothes. I would add to please bring wipes and at least one large empty Zip Lock to store used disposable diapers, since you will most likely have to change them in your lap. Thanks.

Change them in your lap? What? I thought most people took their kids to the bathroom to change them.

Change them in your lap? What? I thought most people took their kids to the bathroom to change them.

No realplace to change them in the bathroom on the airplane - luckily, I never had a #2 that had to be changed on the plane - that would HAVE to be done in the bathroom.

Have to agree that the ball and bubbles are a terrible idea. Gate area is crowded and chaotic at times enough without a ball being thrown or rolled around. Leave these at home. Any kind of toy that will roll is never a good idea. It's always the one the rolls under the seat while on the plane, and then child bursts into tears.

There is no need to change a child in your lap. That's what the lavatories on the plane are for. Don't subject other travelers to this sight. Lots of planes have changing tables in the lav; if not, you can stand them up on the seat with the lid closed. Practice at home if you have to. It is really awful to see a child changed on a tray table or in a seat and very unsanitary. Ziplock bags and wipes are a must.

If you bring a DVD player, please get a set of child headphones and teach your child these must be used with the player.

Stickers and a sticker book in which to place them were always popular, as were a small pad of paper and pen with washable ink; two forbidden items at home.

My son is nearly 3 and has flown at least 20 times (our family lives in FL). It greatly depends on the age and the temperament of that individual day. Certain airlines are more accommodating too. We personally love Southwest. VERY family friendly.

Bring food (for take off and landing), bring toys (not as helpful unless it's BRAND new), and a DVD player. Our son enjoys looking out the window so it's been helpful reserving an entire row (he gets the window seat). Southwest has online checkin-- checkin the MINUTE its possible to.

Be relaxed-- kids feed off your behavior. It'll be ok. If your child has a hard time, be rest assured you'll never see the people on the airplane again!

NO BUBBLES and NO PEANUTS a lot of people are allergic to both, not to mention what an incredibly annoyance bubbles would be to other travelers.

Archived