shirt out dining ok?

Tricky Diggy

I'm reading on this thread about how the Maitre d' may not let you in the MDR if he doesn't think your attire is appropriate.

I just got off the Ruby last week, and there was one evening when a man was in the MDR wearing a polo shirt, cargo shorts and crocs. Granted, it was the first night and he may not have gotten his suitcase yet, but there are always other options such as Horizon Court, Caribe Cafe, etc. Regardless, no one stopped him. And I saw several examples of tee shirts and jeans, on all 3 nights (it was a 3-day cruise). While the jeans were clean and neat, still, it was a tee shirt. It didn't seem to me that anyone was monitoring the attire in the dining room. I really don't feel strongly one way or the other about it, but I'm just wondering how often any of you are actually hearing the Maitre d' ask someone to change, tuck a shirt in, etc...

I'm reading on this thread about how the Maitre d' may not let you in the MDR if he doesn't think your attire is appropriate.

I just got off the Ruby last week, and there was one evening when a man was in the MDR wearing a polo shirt, cargo shorts and crocs. Granted, it was the first night and he may not have gotten his suitcase yet, but there are always other options such as Horizon Court, Caribe Cafe, etc. Regardless, no one stopped him. And I saw several examples of tee shirts and jeans, on all 3 nights (it was a 3-day cruise). While the jeans were clean and neat, still, it was a tee shirt. It didn't seem to me that anyone was monitoring the attire in the dining room. I really don't feel strongly one way or the other about it, but I'm just wondering how often any of you are actually hearing the Maitre d' ask someone to change, tuck a shirt in, etc...

Actually it's the head waited who stands by the dr door & not the Maitre d' but on the Ruby as you have said, they are very lenient as are a lot of other Princess ships. On formal nights I only wore a short sleeve dress shirt without a jacket or tie & was admitted without any problem. (Jan was the head waiter).

On casual evenings I mostly wore a golf shirt but did have on a T shirt a few evenings with jeans & again nothing was said. I did see one older guy in jean shorts one evening but than was only once. Maybe they did say something to him?

Ummm, I find this thread strange. I think it is the man's preferance. Mine tucks with a belt. But he does that with all shirts. Has nothing to do with the ship. Just how he does things. Would not notice how other men wear their shirts.

I like to wear Hawaiian type shirts when sailing in the Caribbean so I wear them out like they are supposed to be worn. The first night sailing almost anything reasonable is accepted since pax have little if any time to change into clothes from their checked luggage.

I have worn jeans on non-formal nights many times since I live in the west where jeans are accepted all the time. For a dressed up look, add a blazer and collared shirt in our neck of the woods where we are a lot more informal than the east coast.

For formal nights I have worn as little as dockers and a long sleeved shirt sans tie. I am retired and refuse to put a noose around my neck! Most times though I do add a blazer on formal nights. Of course there is my favorite leather sandals that I wear every night.

Archived