Help! Please!

auntdot

I haven't been here in a long time because we haven't been planning any 'big' trips for a while; but we have one potential in the works! I hope Globaliser or some of the other very helpful people are still here!

Background:

My husband and I each have about 22,000 AA points/miles. We are planning to go to Barcelona in September and are considering redeeming these points to let us fly business class from JFK to BCN at a 'cost' of 25,000 miles.

My questions:

1) Can we redeem AA points to fly on British Airways as I have been reading that the BA business class seats are far superior to AA's?

2) If not, is it worth it to redeem for the one way on AA business class where the 'lie-flat' seats are described as 'a joke' by some reviews?

It would cost us 25,000 miles plus roughly $500 to buy the extra miles and pay the Co-pay to get business class one way (JFK to BCN).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We flew premium economy on BA last year and we were disappointed as the plane was freezing and we were not able to sleep! So we're looking for a bwetter option for the overnight flight to Europe.

Many thanks to anyone who has an opinion or suggestion!

Auntdot

My questions:

1) Can we redeem AA points to fly on British Airways as I have been reading that the BA business class seats are far superior to AA's?

2) If not, is it worth it to redeem for the one way on AA business class where the 'lie-flat' seats are described as 'a joke' by some reviews?

It would cost us 25,000 miles plus roughly $500 to buy the extra miles and pay the Co-pay to get business class one way (JFK to BCN).

1) No.

2) Depends how you value the benefits and costs, a completely different different prospect for each passenger.

Actually, I just used my AA FF miles for the first time. I start in LAX and fly through NY on AA then on BA from LHR to ROM. Back from ROM through LHR and Toronto on BA then to LAX on AA - again using only AA miles and in business class. Call them.

You can use AA miles on certain transatlantic routes, but not between the US and London.

You cannot use AA miles to upgrade on BA. End of.

Oy.

You can earn and burn AA miles for BA flights to the UK from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean, just not from the US.

You cannot use BA miles for any transatlantic travel on AA (including flights from France, Germany, Belgium etc.)

You can only upgrade on paid fares, and only using miles issued by the airline on which you're upgrading.

I've got the confirmed confirmation!

I'm not saying you don't. However, the OP is asking about upgrading paid flights on BA using AA miles. This is not possible.

AA miles to upgrade AA flights, yes.

BA miles to upgrade BA flights, sure.

AA miles to upgrade BA or vice versa. No.

Well, like I said, I was doing it for the first time so I guess I missed the part of "co pay" and/or didn't understand it. I just know I'm happier then stink that I got my flights... :o My suggestion to her was to call them. I am in no way an expert. As a matter of fact, everything I've learned about FF I've learned on CC and my DH thanks all of you. Sorry for making you crazy :D. My DH is under the weather so I guess I have to make someone else crazy tonight and you won.

Many thanks for the information. It may be too high a cost for us to 'blow' all our AA points, and then some, for a one way business class ticket. Maybe we should buy some lottery tickets instead and if we won we wouldn't care!! :D

Thanks again!

auntdot

Oy.

You can earn and burn AA miles for BA flights to the UK from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean, just not from the US.

You cannot use BA miles for any transatlantic travel on AA (including flights from France, Germany, Belgium etc.)

You can only upgrade on paid fares, and only using miles issued by the airline on which you're upgrading.

You can earn and burn AS miles for all BA flights

You can earn and burn AS miles for all AA flights

Not sure why scottbee posted this, as I don't see where you asked this anywhere, but AS = Alaska Airlines.

I posted this because there was a comment about not being able to earn BA points on AA transatlantic (and vice-versa). If you had an AS/Alaska Air Mileage plan you could earn BA or AA points on a transatlantic, and use those points on a BA or AA flight....

I posted this because there was a comment about not being able to earn BA points on AA transatlantic (and vice-versa). If you had an AS/Alaska Air Mileage plan you could earn BA or AA points on a transatlantic, and use those points on a BA or AA flight....
Yes and if you have an AS account you can earn and burn on AF and KL and DL and FJ and QF and LA and CX and...

Archived