Best way to get on the Captian Table's list

dnt4382

But since I have not heard of passengers invited to the Captain's Table for dinner on Princess in many years, this could be a real problem. :eek:

OK so I haven't paid much attention to who's who in dining on Princess the last few years, they may not have a Captain's table, but other lines still do. Whenever we book a fancy suite, the cruise line doesn't seem to matter, we notice a whole lot of attention by the Captain and the senior staff. Whenever we boook a regular veranda room we notice that we are just another passenger, Still a really good experience and I am not complaining here, just making an observation. Make no mistake, there is a serious difference.

If you are talking Capt.'s table, it is usually turns out the passengers "selected" have some connection with the cruise line. By that I mean, they could be a supplier of some material or item regularly sold to the line, part of the construction or design firm, booked the owner's suite, keeping booking on a weekly basis (most traveled passenger(s), friends or relatives of one of the cruise staff or officers, someone from the "main office", etc.

It will rarely turn out to be just an average passenger unless there are not enough passengers who fit the above criteria. Then it usually ends up being a couple celebrating an anniversary.

The Cruise Director has a lot to do with the passenger selection for the Capt.'s table.

MARAPRINCE

why would anyone want to dine with the 'help'? :confused:

Thank you, Hyacinth.:D

I believe that was Onslows question when they got invited to the Captains Table.

This was on PBS just last week again. Love that episode.

• 2 weeks later...
Best way to eat at the Captain's Table is to go to a maritime academy, get your Master's License, serve your time and BECOME the Captain!!!!!

I have to disagree with you.

On our last cruise on the Queen Mary my hubby and I were invited to dine at the Captain's Table.

We are down to earth "Aussies" had an obstrucred view cabin...SO WAS VERY SURPRISED TO GET AN INVITATION.

We had a very enjoyable time. Still wondering why we were chosen????????

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/Marleneann/Queen%20Mary%202/?action=view&current=CaptainsDinner.jpg

I am behind the Captain and his wife seated in the front.

*waves madly to another queenslander* :D I may have to name drop you guys then.... LOL! How exciting for you guys, and what an honour!

I can't get over people who think the postings here have been mean / rude / ridiculing :eek:

I was reading it chuckling way and thinking about Mrs BUCKET and how I could post a link PMSL!!!!! (and then you guys mention her and Onslo / Daisy etc afterwards) and then I was grinning thinking how lovely that "that humour" is trans atlantic........ I just don't see where the nastiness comes into it. (maybe I was too busy thinking about Richard and Hyacinth!) the other one who sprung to mind was Bubbles Duvree (sp??) from little Britain LMAO all over again.

*waves madly to another queenslander* :D I may have to name drop you guys then.... LOL! How exciting for you guys, and what an honour!

I can't get over people who think the postings here have been mean / rude / ridiculing :eek:

I was reading it chuckling way and thinking about Mrs BUCKET and how I could post a link PMSL!!!!! (and then you guys mention her and Onslo / Daisy etc afterwards) and then I was grinning thinking how lovely that "that humour" is trans atlantic........ I just don't see where the nastiness comes into it. (maybe I was too busy thinking about Richard and Hyacinth!) the other one who sprung to mind was Bubbles Duvree (sp??) from little Britain LMAO all over again.

Keeping up appearances is mine and my husbands favorite British comedy although Monarch of the Glen is a runnerup ( at least before the accident with Hector).

In my vast years of cruising experience, I have learned there are only 2 ways you are likely to be invited to the captain's table. The first and most reliable is to book the most expensive suite on the ship. You will be assured to get a lot of attention from the captain and all of his senior staff. I have done this, it works, because if you are not invited, you can just ask, and you will be invited.

The second way is a secret and I'm sworn not to tell, so you all will have to guess. Sorry.... LOL

I don't think Princess has a captain's table or it is not used much.

We have had dinner at the captain's table on Celebrity and HAL many times, never booked more than a balcony cabin, once upgraded to a suite on HAL and Celebrity. So you don't have to book the most expensive cabin.

Only suggestion I have is befriend the Matre'd and the social hostess.

Hello!

Where in Queensland do you live?

We are at Buderim on the Sunshine Coast.

Our next cruise is Diamond from Sydney to Bangkok in February.

Last year on the Ruby a "Stammtisch" was held in Vines one evening and the captain was there along with several senior staff. Although it is not dinner with the captain, it is wine, cheese, and good conversation.

Check the Patters - if a Stammtisch is held you should go. Ours was sparsely attended.

I wish I could offer some insight as to how to gain the privilege of paying $75 p/p for the Chef's Table offering.

On a recent cruise, I called as soon as I boarded: 1:15pm. I was told we were #14 - already at 1:15pm! When does one have to board in order to do this?? Should we sleep at the boarding gate next time?!

By the fourth day onboard, my DW called and was told that they hadn't assembled the guest list yet - we would be notified either way.

The next night, there was a small group of people on folding chairs outside of the DR. When we entered, the Chef was greeting passengers on the way in. I asked him if those people outside happened to waiting for the Chef's Table and he confirmed. He advised me to "try it" sometime!! As fortune would have it, Rack of Lamb was on the menu that night so my wife and I were not too upset! After all, I saved the $150 to spend some on a nice bottle of wine (the Silverado was delicious)!

Frankly, I think Princess shouldn't offer something that less than 1% of their passengers have a shot at getting. Or, at the least, that they should have the courtesy of telling you to forget it in time for you to make alternative plans for your option dining.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a long time Princess cruiser and I don't like complaining unless it's truly warranted. But this wasn't handled well, IMO.

Last year on the Ruby a "Stammtisch" was held in Vines one evening and the captain was there along with several senior staff. Although it is not dinner with the captain, it is wine, cheese, and good conversation.

Check the Patters - if a Stammtisch is held you should go. Ours was sparsely attended.

IMG_0100.jpg

The word Stammtisch is German. It is not easily translated into English but it means something like "regular's table" or "regular get-together".

As I understand it, the word Stammtisch is a table in a bar or restaurant which is reserved for the same guests at the same time every day or every week.

There is no cost for the Stammtisch held at Vines other than the cost of any drinks or snacks you purchase. Princess did set out a tray of two of snacks for anyone attending.

We had great conversations with several senior members of Ruby Princess' staff including the Captain Tony Draper. He's a great guy and seemed to remember us for the rest of the sailing. I'm hopeful that it will be held on other sailings in the future.

This is my first post! We were on the Dawn Princess for the 2009 world cruise and it just so happens that it can be very easy to dine with the Captain. Whilst at dinner the maitre de came by our table and asked us if we would like to dine with the Captain the next night. We weren't sure quite whether that meant the Captain himself or his Officers. Anyway, we went and it was a great night - just the Captain and six of us. They put on lobster and all wine was complimentary. A very enjoyable night - so it does happen. Why us? We have no idea! We are about to go on the Dawn Princess again in May 2010 and then on the Diamond Princess for Xmas/New Year so it will be interesting to see if it happens again.

This is my first post! We were on the Dawn Princess for the 2009 world cruise and it just so happens that it can be very easy to dine with the Captain. Whilst at dinner the maitre de came by our table and asked us if we would like to dine with the Captain the next night. We weren't sure quite whether that meant the Captain himself or his Officers. Anyway, we went and it was a great night - just the Captain and six of us. They put on lobster and all wine was complimentary. A very enjoyable night - so it does happen. Why us? We have no idea! We are about to go on the Dawn Princess again in May 2010 and then on the Diamond Princess for Xmas/New Year so it will be interesting to see if it happens again.

Great for you! Let us know what happens next. And welcome to cruise critic - it's nice to see someone post a really positive first posting. ;)

Did you get the evil eye from those dining on meatloaf around you?:eek:

I can't believe no one brought up the fact that the best way to be at the Captains Table is to be the Captain.:D

In all our cruises we have only seen a Captain eat in the diningroom on the Tahitian Princess and that was when his wife was there that trip and they always sat at a table for two.

We had the pleasure of dining at the captain's table while sailing on the Celebrity Constellation after meeting the captain, who was Greek, at the cocktail party. I mentioned that we had recently been to Crete. He was from Crete and we had stayed in a hotel in his town on the same street where his mother lived! Small world.

Archived