Veendam 'too big' to get into St Georges, Bermuda

Goldryder

icon13.gifTendering

Just received this directly from HAL - they are also trying to get me a tender schedule (times of operation). I have gotten permission for both of us to remain on the island during the repositioning. It was really quite easy. They also said that this situation is not likely to change (I specifically asked about docking the whole time in Hamilton). Still have NOT made a final jump ship decision yet....

:mad:

Lynette,

I just got confirmation from the Administrative Assistant in the Port/Nautical Operations department that the tender is 45 minutes each way.

Bummer.

Hopefully we’ll get back to your travel agent about the tender schedule just as fast!

Take care,

Crystal Brooks

Reservations Agent

Direct Reservations | Direct Group Reservations

1-877-724-5425

HOLLAND AMERICA LINE

Thanks for the information, it is sounding better..:D

Based on the article link posted above, it's pretty clear to me that the night at anchor off St. George won't be swapped for an extra night in Hamilton. The government has way too much committed to bringing more tourists to St. George to allow that. The best we can hope for is that Veendam shifts to Hamilton early on Wednesday morning so we don't waste a whole day tendering back and forth and then sailing to Hamilton.

Hear that, Seattle?

icon13.gifTendering

Just received this directly from HAL - they are also trying to get me a tender schedule (times of operation). I have gotten permission for both of us to remain on the island during the repositioning. It was really quite easy. They also said that this situation is not likely to change (I specifically asked about docking the whole time in Hamilton). Still have NOT made a final jump ship decision yet....

Lynette,

I just got confirmation from the Administrative Assistant in the Port/Nautical Operations department that the tender is 45 minutes each way.

Bummer.

Hopefully we’ll get back to your travel agent about the tender schedule just as fast!

Take care,

Crystal Brooks

Reservations Agent

1-877-724-5425

HOLLAND AMERICA LINE

Wow!!! 45 Min each way is a lot of time wasted tendering back and forth....and I'm sure that doesn't count loading and unloading. That really makes it pointless to even bother leaving the ship on Wed., unless you can just rejoin the ship in Hamilton. I have been planning on booking the June27 sailing (Eagles Fan Cruise) for my husband's 40th birthday, but not sure I want to deal with all that tendering, as it will be our first cruise.

I'm anxious to see that tender schedule. Please share it when you get it.

Definitely not my first choice, but I figure I can put up with three rides on a tender. I like riding in boats, actually.

I guess no one knows when the last tender goes back to the ship, but if its not late, will they have shipboard entertainment since we can't stay ashore?

That's a positive spin on the situation...

"The fact that visitors will be ferried in and out of the town rather than just walking off the ship should keep them in the town for longer.

"They are more likely to eat in the restaurants and spend money in the town if they are ferried in. The Ministry of Transport, Tourism and Marine and Ports will do everything we can to help St. George's."

...or it could be a consipiracy from the start to hold tourists "hostage" with hopes they're spend money :D

I apologise for not having time for reading the whole thread if this has been discussed before, but isn't this whole thing a 'tempest in a beautiful Bermudan teapot'. I've looked at the itineraries and the Veendam overnights in St. George, so there is certainly a 'boatload of time' :D to take tenders back and forth without hassle and crowding. And, on the second day, I assume that 90% of the pax will opt to stay ashore and get a cab or bus over to Hamilton to return to the ship in the evening.

Yes, there may be a problem for the handicapped. Perhaps a specially arranged handicap accessible tender can be provided for them...

One benefit is if enough people cancel their bookings, it will lower the price.:rolleyes:

The "optomistic" article sounds to me like Holland America is holding firm on 2 nights in Hamilton!! No word of any different tactic from Bermuda!

LOL. HAL is being 'optimistic' that pax will like tendering for what will be at least 3 hours on Tuesday. The ferry ride is approx. 45 minutes (and who knows how optimistic that might be) and at least 30 mins. for loading/unloading. That's an hour and a half each way for a total of 3 hrs at the very least. I think HAL is sticking its head in the sand if they think the pax are going to find this acceptable.

I apologise for not having time for reading the whole thread if this has been discussed before, but isn't this whole thing a 'tempest in a beautiful Bermudan teapot'. I've looked at the itineraries and the Veendam overnights in St. George, so there is certainly a 'boatload of time' :D to take tenders back and forth without hassle and crowding. And, on the second day, I assume that 90% of the pax will opt to stay ashore and get a cab or bus over to Hamilton to return to the ship in the evening.

I don't know about" tempest in a tea pot" but it's certainly not convenient at all. First of all, most people are already getting geared up to get off the ship as soon as land is spotted.:p Then when docked, EVERYONE wants off right away.;) Second day won't be bad but first day will be a mess. One more thing. Your day has to be planned based on when you can get the tender rather than just walking off anytime you want.:)

Yes, there may be a problem for the handicapped. Perhaps a specially arranged handicap accessible tender can be provided for them...

That would be nice.

One benefit is if enough people cancel their bookings, it will lower the price.:rolleyes:

Possibly. Right now, I don't know if we want to book with the present setup since we're spoiled by either docking in Hamilton/St. George with no tendering or else just St. George and even if the prices would go waaaay down, not sure we would book then.

Also, in previous years there have been things going on in the square at night such as Market Night and the Beating Retreat. Nothing nicer than walking off the ship for those or even just window shopping when the store aren't open.

I apologise for not having time for reading the whole thread if this has been discussed before...

And, on the second day, I assume that 90% of the pax will opt to stay ashore and get a cab or bus over to Hamilton to return to the ship in the evening.

Yes, you really need to go back and read the thread.

;)

Theron

Yes, iheartbda, I see that it's a downer, but I wouldn't consider it a deal-breaker. Folks are likely to have either lunch or dinner ashore, but not both, so it's bad news for the town folks.

Looks like a business opportunity for shore-side cabanas!:D

Having been to Bermuda a number of times and knowing how wonderful it is not to tender, it is becoming a deal breaker for US.:(

Yes, you really need to go back and read the thread.

;)

Theron

Absolutely, since there is a lot of discussion about potential problems, etc. beyond the first couple of posts that explains people's disappointment.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Not a deal breaker for us! We love sailing to Bermuda on small ships. Tender or no tender, I would rather sail on HAL's small ship to Bermuda than being with all the masses in Dockyard! Half the cruise experience is the SHIP, and I'd rather be on HAL. In the past we have not had too many options from NY to sail to Bermuda, so we had to settle. Now we don't.

To me its ridiculous to think one has to re-board for the transit from St. G to Hamilton. Makes absolutely no sense. I would actually take more offense at HAL having that kind of rule than I would from them making the mistake that required them to change the itenerary to require tendering in the first place.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
To me its ridiculous to think one has to re-board for the transit from St. G to Hamilton. Makes absolutely no sense. I would actually take more offense at HAL having that kind of rule than I would from them making the mistake that required them to change the itenerary to require tendering in the first place.

I still don't understand why this is a HAL rule? I called the Bermudian consulate and they said that they had no problem with passengers staying in St. G and meeting the ship in Hamilton. I was informed that as long as the full manifest of passengers were on the ship when it sails from Bermuda, people are welcome to stay on shore. They explained that it has been done in the past, and it is done with passengers who dock in Dock Yard. The lady said that they don't know if the passengers who dock in Dock Yard stay on the Island for the duration of the ship's stay, but they do care if they are not on the ship when it sails from Bermuda. So why is it the HAL has a problem? Like I stated previously and in jest, could it be because they want the passengers on board to spend the $$$ while sailing from St. G to Hamilton????

icon13.gifTendering

Lynette,

Bummer.

Take care,

Crystal Brooks

Reservations Agent

1-877-724-5425

HOLLAND AMERICA LINE

Evidently we will not have to reboard for the repositioning

Also, in previous years there have been things going on in the square at night such as Market Night and the Beating Retreat. Nothing nicer than walking off the ship for those or even just window shopping when the store aren't open.

In previous years I have stayed out till 2 am or so either at the the White Horse Tavern where they have a dance party or at the tavern at the other end of the wharf and walked back to the ship. Can't imagine doing that with tendering, that is if they would even run tenders that late.....I don't think it is likely they would. So really a good part of what I do when docked at St. George would be negatively affected. Tendering really makes me doubt I would book the HAL ship now.

Here's a sort of interesting piece of an article in the Royal Gazette I found.

It reflects info shared at a meeting of Bermuda's sort of Chamber of Commerce regarding the Veendam's inability to get through the Cut:

The fact that visitors will be ferried in and out of the town rather than just walking off the ship should keep them in the town for longer. "They are more likely to eat in the restaurants and spend money in the town if they are ferried in.

Good to know there's a bright spot in our being unable to reboard the ship and leave St. George at will! margretha

I still don't understand why this is a HAL rule? . . .

I don't believe the rule is that passengers must re-board. Rather, should they not wish to re-board they have to have previously and using appropriate paperwork inform the ship that they will not be re-boarding.

I still don't understand why this is a HAL rule? I called the Bermudian consulate and they said that they had no problem with passengers staying in St. G and meeting the ship in Hamilton. I was informed that as long as the full manifest of passengers were on the ship when it sails from Bermuda, people are welcome to stay on shore. They explained that it has been done in the past, and it is done with passengers who dock in Dock Yard. The lady said that they don't know if the passengers who dock in Dock Yard stay on the Island for the duration of the ship's stay, but they do care if they are not on the ship when it sails from Bermuda. So why is it the HAL has a problem? Like I stated previously and in jest, could it be because they want the passengers on board to spend the $$$ while sailing from St. G to Hamilton????
I may end up being wrong, but I don't think there will be any such rule. It just doesn't make any sense from anyone's viewpoint. Some people may tender in with the full intention of re-boarding, but then the fun breaks out and they change their mind. If you miss a cruise ship sailing, you are generally responsible for meeting the ship in the next port at your expense. In this case, meeting the ship in Hamilton would be no big deal.

Archived