Has the Quality of the Food Gone Down?

XFed2001

My wife and I sailed on the Mariner from Singapore to Sydney last month and were really disappointed in the quality of the food. In addition to the size of the standard cabin, we were attracted by the quality of the food since we had sailed on the Voyager about 4 years ago and were super impressed with just about everything including the cabin size and the quality of the food offerings. This time around we found the food offerings very disappointing. Specifically, our complaints were as follows:

Appetizers: mediocre/unimaginative

Salads: dressings seemed to be water-down

Entrees: chintzy portions and hardly top-quality

Vegetables: always seemed boiled or steamed and uninviting

Sauces: blase and quite mundane; unexciting if I may use such an adjective

Desserts: Nothing to write home about

Soups, OTOH, were always consistently very good

As an aside, we found drink concoctions to be so-so. How can you have a banana daiquiri without real bananas? Same with other tall/tropical drinks.

My wife and I were wondering if other world cruisers might have experienced what we saw as a severely diminished level of food quality on the Voyager or Navigator as well. Has Regent cut back on it's attention to food quality in order to be able to better compete? If so, and your feedback corroborates our suspicions, we'll be forced to look elsewhere to spend our cruise dollars. We sincerely hope our recent experience was just an aberration.

I do have quite a few comments on food. First, I do not feel that the quality has gone down. However, certain choices (like beef tenderloin) are no longer on the menu every day -- although you can request it.

When you have several sea days, or stop in ports where the ship can not get fresh items, the fresh vegetables and fruit do suffer. While the food offerings are pretty much the same on all three ships, depending upon itinerary, some items are prepared much fresher than others.

The "chintzy portions" are intentional. They really would like passengers to have an appetizer, soup and salad, sorbet, entree and dessert. In order to accomplish this, they cut back on portions. However, you can order double -- even triple portions of any item.

We have not experienced salad dressings to be watered down so I cannot comment on that. I do agree with the uninviting boiled or steamed vegetables. For that reason, we order a side of mashed potato's or french fries that always come up fresh. Not exactly imaginative -- just tasty. You can also order a side of vegetables.

They just changed pastry chefs on the Voyager. We found the pastry/desserts and bread to be better than we have experienced previously. I believe all the ships will be preparing their pastry slightly different (sorry -- we were told about this -- just do not recall the details).

While you did not mention shellfish, we recently learned/discovered that certain items, like shrimp, lobster and crab, do not fare well when they need to be frozen, defrosted and served in various ways. When cold, the shrimp and crab tends to be watery and loses taste. When cooked, the shrimp, in particular, seems to do quite well. This is an area that they are aware of and would like to correct.

For some reason (and this makes no logical sense), we have found food to be best on the Voyager. We have had more than one negative experience dining on the Navigator and are crossing our fingers that it will improve after it's current drydock. Perhaps some kitchens are more difficult to work in than others.

Again, I do not feel that the quality has gone down, but, there seems to be less choices -- particularly imaginative choices. I also feel that whatever Regent is doing to cut cost is also being done by other cruise lines. Our cruise last month was the best we have had -- we will not be looking to see if the grass is greener on the other side.

I am responding from my cabin on Voyager. Today is my 93rd day on a Regent ship. I will disembark in Ft. Lauderdale on friday with great regrets. My simple answer to your question is no. Are there differences from previous cruises? Yes. But significant? No. We cruise to eat. This cruise has pleased us as much as previous cruises and we have been very very pleased with the food on previous cruises. Prime 7 is marvelous. We dine there again tomorrow. Signatures remains excellent. We've dined in Signatures a dozen time and it has been excellent eleven out of the twelve nights. The service and food in Compass Rose is as good as ever. We dined in La Veranda for the first time ever last night. It was awful. The service was good but my soup and lamb chops were simply bad and we were astonished by the lack of ambience in that cafeteria. But that is one bad night out of 93. Can you say the same for your kitchen? It is my impression that there have been a few cuts here in there in the last two years given the economic depression we are in. Maybe fewer selections on the menu. And with the exception of Prime 7 maybe they are using cheaper cuts of meat occasionally. The orange juice served comes frozen in a can and doesn't taste very good to me. But the fresh fruit is sensational. All in all, we are as pleased as ever with Regent food and we have 35 days of cruising booked on Regent next year. Pat

Seasoning is a big issue with all cruise lines. Many passengers have dietary restrictions-low/no salt, low/no sugar, no garlic, nothing spicy, etc. This makes cooking something with a semblance of taste that can be consumed by most passengers very difficult. Most lines, even the cheaper mass market ones, have good quality food but various preparation restrictions make meals seem bland, tasteless and ultimately, unsatisfying for many. It's reached the point for me where I don't really enjoying eating any cruise line food and usually end up going for the "basics"--tossed salad, small steak, steamed veggies, etc. Most lines can prepare these pretty well.

Richard,

We have been on Voyager since Mumbai. I agree with all of your observations regarding food quality. The WOW! factor is gone.

I "suffered" from the same feeling while being on the Voyager from Cape Town to Rio. After returning home, however, I realized that the problem was mine -- not Regent's. After 10+ days, everything had lost its "WOW" factor (or, IMO, we were just spoiled).

At what point does caviar, Beef Wellington, filet mignon, lobster, chateaubriand, fois gras (probably misspelled), duck, prime rib, steak tartare, tuna tartare, rack of lamb, South African cuisine, Indian cuisine, Latin cuisine become ho hum??? After you have been on the ship too long.

I am the first to admit that we are spoiled. But, in terms of quality, Regent orders the best. Sometimes it may not be prepared the way you want it. . . . but, IMO, quality should not be in question!

Like Maracamama, we got onboard the Voyager in Mumbai but we must have ordered different items off the dinner menu in the restaurants. With the exception of one appetizer in Compass Rose, a ribeye steak in Compass Rose, and an improperly cooked lobster in Prime 7, we had excellent meals. The lamb in Compass Rose and Prime 7 was always outstanding (glad we don't eat in La Veranda, Pat). We are not big dessert eaters and prefer to have the cheese and port. However, other passengers appeared to enjoy their desserts and we heard quite a few comments on how pleased people were with the sugar free desserts. I thought the baking was the best I had ever had onboard any Regent ship. In my opinion, there have been less cutbacks in the quality of food than in the wine department. As each person approaches food differently, you are likely to get many different opinions. I concur with Travelcat2 and Island Cruiser.

We'll be disembarking Voyager tomorrow, with some regret. Enough sea days I think, but not lookng forward to going home to snow.

I think the food overall has been great, but somewhat inconsistent. David, particularly, has made choices in CR, Prime 7 and even Signatures that were just so-so. Still problems with consistency, I would say. I've been luckier with my choices, more fish I guess. We'll see what tonight brings--last nights are often kind of scattered.

But overall very happy, we certainly have not starved!

My wife and I were also on the Singapore to Sydney segment. Overall, I thought the food was fine.

There was some variances in Prime 7 and, as discussed on other posts, it was not as good the first night---first night of the cruise--as it was later. We had some great meals there, with great service. I wish the bread were heated---it's a big flaw but I don't know how they could correct it without zapping it. They should play with that as it makes a big, big difference in our view.

We enjoyed the pool deck as always, and thought the lunches there were terrific. The service was great, and food imaginative. (Italian day was loads of fun). They do the basics real well. We were there almost every day when on board (lots of sea days, which we enjoyed). The pool bartenders--my man Victor--were fun, helpful, and fast on the draw.

Compass Rose was fine, and although I have no significant complaints, I agree that the food is bland. We enjoy spicey food but you are not going to get that much on the ship. Too many people to please, too many restrictions, etc. Personally, I carry little spice bottles with me to "heat" things up. But, I understand the limitations. I understand why the portions are small, too, but that did not stop me from putting on a solid 10! Started out working out but after a few days said the hell with it and resigned myself to a expanding waistline.

LeVeranda was just ok. Not bad, but certainly not great. But ok for what it is if you are in the mood. Good breakfast place or for when you just want a night off but don't want room service. I thought the service in all 3 restaurants was professional, helpful and fun.

The lounges were fine. I've always been partial to the Observation Lounge but we ended up in the Horizon Lounge most of the time. More comfortable. Easier access from our stern (Horizon) cabin. And speaking of the cabin, what a treat! Great advice someone--was it you Op?--wonderful on sea days and enough space to spread out. We enjoyed it.

Overall, I remain a Regent man. I will consider other lines for intineraries of course, but the Regent experience--for us--is hard to beat. The people are a great mix from all over with minimum levls of pomposity. Not always true on other lines. I remember a number of years ago when we were on our first Regent (then Radisson) cruise I asked a dinner companion (single woman from San Diego and a absolute hoot) what the difference was between Regent and Seaborne/Silversea. She said, "well, to me, Seabourne is Henry Kissinger, Silversea is Carol Channing and Regent is Angela Landsbury!" Made me laugh, and I still kind of think that's true. PS: Embarkation was great. Disembark not so great. Next time, we will just take our own bags off. Won't have to wait if we draw a "slow color".

I don't even know what those analogies mean. Does Silversea being Carol Channing mean they sing Hello Dolly every time you enter the restaurant? Does Regent being Angela Lansbury mean there's a murder on every cruise? Does Seabourn being Henry Kissinger mean everyone kowtows to a lying president? Excuse me, but the whole thing is a crock!

Wripro!! Don't take it so seriously! It's not a big deal..it's just something that was told to me that I thought was funny and, well...evidently we don't share the same sense of humor. Not the end of the world... The point was that there are lots of different kinds of people on cruises--we all meet them. Believe me, I have met LOTS of "Carol Channings" on boats, and LOTS of "Henry Kissingers"... (if you ask me what I mean by that, then we truly ARE on different planets, and that's not the end of the world either!). For the record, I DO think that certain lines tend to attract certain types of folks (again, Wripro, not saying one is bad or another good). But, that's why I prefer Regent. In my experience, I have more in common with the group as a whole. A generalization, I know, but my own observation...sorry to have offended you!

Longhorn1,

You did not offend me at all. My tongue was also firmly in my cheek. However, I stand by my position that these analogies are meaningless and the people you mentioned do not reflect the cruise lines in any way, shape or form.

We are on the Mariner now. We see less choice than in the past with more use of less expensive ingredients, but mostly in successful ways. Prime 7 is a winner. I think travelcat 2 is mostly on target. The staff is trying really hard to please a variety of tastes and expectations. We think the food is a little bland (needs a bit more salt/spice), but have overheard people complaining how salty the food is, including the no salt added items. No one can please 650+ people all the time.

We came to have fun and fun we are having as are most of the other pax.

We also were on Mariner for part of that cruise (Osaka to Hong Kong). Prime 7 was excellent every time we dined there: whole lobster and steak tartare were the best we've ever had, anywhere. Also the cote du boeuf (steak).

No doubt that the dinner cuisine in Compass Rose is not what it used to be (aside from the formal nights)...but then the price we paid for this cruise was an incredible bargain, so we expected some cutbacks. But remember, you can always special order if you want something more interesting. We had Filipino eggroll (lumpia) one night, for example, and it was superb (as you might expect with the high percentage of Filipino staff onboard).

Breakfasts in Compass Rose were as wonderful as ever.

All in all, I have no significant complaints about the food. Just make sure you eat at Compass Rose on formal nights and then try to get into Prime 7 and Signatures as much as possible on other nights, by being extremely flexible on your dining time.

Thank you all for your comments and observations. I would like to add a few more thoughts. I can not agree with you all more about the excellence that surrounded dining in the Prime 7. We found the Signatures offerings to be somewhat less appealing but still quite acceptable. The Compass Rose dining experience was (IMHO) just o.k. The La Veranda was a passable alternative for those of us who did not wish to dress more than casually for dinner. Since most of us were not able to dine in either Prime 7 or Signatures more than once or twice during a cruise, my bottom line is that for the most part, we were disappointed with the overall food quality when compared with our dining experiences (breakfast, lunch, as well as dinner) on the Voyager 4 years ago. Perhaps, as other posters have opined, what we experienced may be the results of cutbacks in the industry. In any event, suffice it to say, we did not go hungry nor suffer too gastronomically during our otherwise enjoyable cruise. I wish all of you many fine sailing days on the Regent's ships or on any other ships. Happy 2010!

Just returned home from 4 weeks on the Voyager... Service ... wonderful..staff.... super great. In as much as taste is very subjective.. I will add my subjective 2 cents.

The food overall was as expected...very good./ Our problem (remember we are subjective)

was that the steaks were not as good as on our previous 199 nites, on the different ships.

They were not particularly tasty & were not as tender as we like. We are rejoining the ship in Sydney for another 33 nites, & will give them another chance with the steaks..I will still ship out on Regent,,,& if the steaks are still under par(remember subjective) We just won't order them. The lamb & Veal were great

When you rejoin the ship in Sydney, presumably they will have Australian beef stocked. Aussie beef is usually grass-fed and produces a different steak than American grain-fed, feed-lot beef. I like both but find the Aussie beef to be more tasty and less tender than the U.S. model.

Just returned home from 4 weeks on the Voyager...We are rejoining the ship in Sydney for another 33 nites....

Chelonia --

You are invited to check out the Cruise Critic "World Cruise" forum under the Regent Roll Calls section. Rick is keeping a log of suite numbers and names if you want to offer them. Look forward to you joining us in Sydney for the 2nd Segment.

Larry

Got off Voyager yesterday. Food was very good. Some problem with consistency, as I believe I posted elsewhere. Had a few ho-hum meals, but most were great. La Veranda surprised this time--it was wonderful. Great dover sole in Prime 7. Service a big overwrought at times in Signatures; I've experienced that before, but the food there was really good this time.

Only ate dinner in CR about 4 times I think, always wish there was more time and more meals ( :p ). Slow service a couple of times in CR for breakfast. Nice quiet place for lunch it is. Pool deck was very hot for most of the cruise so we ate outside only once--took food from the buffet indoors to la Veranda a couple of times. La Veranda mostly for brekkies and lunch--great service, good food, staff the best!

Wines were very much up to par, everywhere.

Having just finished my first cruise with Regent I am in no position to comment on whether the quality has declined or not. What I can say is that, in my opinion, the dining experiences were very good indeed. I hope to be able to post my review of the cruise in the next few days where I will elaborate on this topic, amongst others. I do, however, struggle to see how, given the constraints of supply of produce and other logistical issues, the food could be improved above the high standard than that which already obtains.

Longhorn1,

You did not offend me at all. My tongue was also firmly in my cheek. However, I stand by my position that these analogies are meaningless and the people you mentioned do not reflect the cruise lines in any way, shape or form.

I Absolutely agree with you but have taken this advice to heart! Knowing that Seabourne is Henry Kissinger, we will NEVER sail with her. Please, which line is Sophia Loren?

Archived