Review of 12/5 inaugural

Let me start by saying I haven't had time since returning to read other reviews, so if I mention things that have been discussed already in detail, my apologies. Having said that....

The Oasis is amazing! We are already booked on the Allure inaugural and can't wait.

Embarkation/Disembarkation

Checked in quickly, then waiting in the waiting area. 12:00 they called those who had been on pre-inaugural, then D/D+. I would guess that it continued afterward with Platinum, Gold, etc. Disembarkation was smooth as well. We did self-checkout, but waited til around 7:30 to leave so we could eat breakfast first. Very smooth, NO lines, just walked off without the chaos and confusion and endless lines that we've often encountered with self checkout.

New and Different

1. Ship is color coded into 4 quadrants...portside forward, portside aft, etc. Stateroom numbers and hallway signs reflect that quadrant's color, and all have an arrow pointing forward. Found this very helpful as far as staying oriented.

2. Poster-size touch screens near elevator banks. Options include stateroom locator, what's happening now, cruise compass, dining options etc. Dining options shows a bar graph of how full each venue currently is.

3. Hot tubs have sensors--wave your hand over the sensor and the jets start up again.

4. One roulette table is completely electronic, and includes a one touch "repeat last bet" option that eliminates a lot of reaching across the table

5. Photo area: They scan your seapass when they take your boarding photo, and thereafter the facial recognition softward recognizes you whenever ship photographers take your picture. All of your pictures accumulate in a numbered folder (folder # is on seapass) so you can quickly find all photos at any given time. Also have touchscreens to quickly glance at all your photos that way if you prefer. So nice not having to comb through the endless wall of displayed photos!

Dining

Dinner: We only ate in the MDR once. Also tried Chops, 150 Central Park, Izumi, Giovanni's table, and also did the Chef's Table one night. Chef's Table was really good, but honestly, I wouldn't do it again due to the price. 150 Central Park-food is fantastic and service is as well, and you can eat there twice for the price of one Chef's Table dinner.

Breakfast: Windjammer once (the usual fare), Solarium Bistro twice (slightly healthier version of WJ, but quieter), Park Cafe a couple times which became our favorite breakfast spot. Johnny Rocket's serves breakfast but we didn't have a chance to try it. Never got around to trying the diamond breakfast either.

Lunch: Ate at Johnny Rockets twice (outside, to avoid having to watch/listen to the show), Wipeout cafe, Cafe Promenade, Sorrentos. Didn't try Seafood Shack but heard mixed reviews.

Bars/Lounges

Never got around to going to Viking Crown. Diamond event was in Blaze/Jazz on 4, and included free cocktails and hors d'oeurvres as well as free wine and champagne. Rising Tides bar is very cool...Get on at Promenade deck 5, and get off at Central Park deck 8. Or just get on and ride up and down a few times. When it's elevated, there are fountains underneath. No cigar lounge, although we heard more than a handful of people asking about one; perhaps this will change.

Entertainment

Most shows require reservations. Finally saw an abbreviated version of aqua theater show at end of week. Technical difficulties delayed this show and kept it from being the complete show. It was still good though. Did not go to ice show or Hairspray or other production show. Tried to go to 12:30 am comedy show one night, when rezzies are required, but if seats aren't at least 50% full, which they weren't , they cancel. Host explained that they were still working out scheduling and capacities for various activities, so they'll know what they can schedule when and still get a crowd. Went dancing one night in Dazzles, which is on decks 8/9 overlooking the Boardwalk. Did not try Blaze. Enjoyed Jazz on 4 one night, although sadly the crowd was really sparse.

Promenade is a happing place in the evening....lots of people....piano guy in Schooners, guitar guy in pub, Latin band in Boleros, people eating at Sorrentos and Cafe, Rising Tides bar busy, etc. etc.

Central Park very quiet and romantic at night, usually someone on a violin or something serenading those sitting in and around the center of the park, very peaceful.

Inaugural stuff

Lots of excitement in the ports we visited, local officials coming to see the ship, etc.

We were showered with goodies all week as well. Some were accompanied by cards referencing the December Diamond celebration, so I don't know if everyone got everything, or some was just for D/D+ people or what. All in all we ended up with hats, lanyards, fleece blankets, bottle of champagne with commemorative label, samples of Seattles Best coffee, chocolate truffles, commemorative coin, commemortive coke bottles, RCI cookbooks, Oasis art book, pens, totebag, sport sacks, leatherette folder with photo of ship and inaugural certificate, and assorted party invites. I'm probably forgetting a few things also.

Stores

Maybe I was oblivious, but it seemed like the announcements for gold by the inch, tanzanite, etc. were very subdued and low key, which was nice. THe logo gift shop was very crowded at times. Since the ship wasn't full, I can see this being an issue on a full sailing. Go early and get what you want. If you wait til the end, good luck fighting the crowd. THe store really is not large enough for a ship this size.

Spa/Fitness Center

FItness Center was good sized; no trouble getting cardio equipment, even on sea days. Then again, the ship wasn't full. We heard estimates from crew that ranged from 2700-4000.

Did not really see anyone utilizing the Vitality Cafe.

Warning: We had a couples massage and heard clanking noises the whole time. Turns out the spa is above the mooring room where anchors are, so apparently the anchors shift around due to the waves. This really ruined the "relaxing" ambience of the massage. Maybe it's not as bad on port days when the ship isn't moving, but when I asked about the noise, the therapists said they had already complained about this. Not sure what RCI can do though, but it is definitely a distraction.

Walking/jogging track is on deck 5 outside promenade (can also enter via fitness center). Nice not having to dodge deck chairs on the sun deck if you go for a run.

Pools/Hottubs/Solarium

Go up to the pool deck or sun deck and look across the width of the ship. THat's when you really see just how wide this ship is!

Never had a problem getting a deck chair. THere were dozens and dozens available, even on sea days. Again, ship wasn't full, so who knows?! Hottubs were never full either; in fact, we usually had one all to ourselves. The cantilevered hot tubs are huge, and there are a couple of flat tv's mounted above. Solarium is beautiful!

I am probably forgetting some stuff, so feel free to ask and I'll answer as best I can!

Great review, thanks for posting.

Do you happen to remember when the parades were and when they done Quest? Im gonna book my shows online but im scared i miss something! Sad i know, but i want to experience everything this ship has to offer in the 7 nights im on her.

How long did dinner at 150 central park take?

What was getting of/on at the ports like? long line???

How was immigration at Ft Lauderdale? I have heard from Independance travellers that the lines are a nightmare? Is it the same terminal?

Sorry for all the questions, im just getting so excited now.

Thanks

Donna

Dining

Dinner: Chef's Table was really good, but honestly, I wouldn't do it again due to the price.0 Central Park-food is fantastic and service is as well, and you can eat there twice for the price of one Chef's Table dinner.

Breakfast: Windjammer once (the usual fare),

Meg ~ we were at the Chef's Table on the Tuesday evening Dec 8.Were you there then? I enjoyed it as well but don't think I would do it again either. Sorry I did not get to 150 Central Park but plan on that in October when I go again.

Thanks for your review

Good review, thank you.

What does Park Cafe serve for breakfast?

:)

Self serve: various cold cereals, whole fruit, coffee and juice

Counter service: oatmeal, grits, egg mcmuffins, breakfast burritos, assorted pastries, yougurt/fruit/parfaits, bagels with usual condiments, muffins

I believe they also had fancy coffees available for purchase.

Tables inside or out, very casual

Great review, thanks for posting.

Do you happen to remember when the parades were and when they done Quest? Im gonna book my shows online but im scared i miss something! Sad i know, but i want to experience everything this ship has to offer in the 7 nights im on her.

How long did dinner at 150 central park take?

What was getting of/on at the ports like? long line???

How was immigration at Ft Lauderdale? I have heard from Independance travellers that the lines are a nightmare? Is it the same terminal?

Sorry for all the questions, im just getting so excited now.

Thanks

Donna

Parades: Sorry, I don't remember! And good luck experiencing everything...we didn't even come close, LOL

Dinner at 150 Central Park was several hours, though I can't say exactly. It's a 6 course tasting menu, and they come out and describe each dish as they serve it. Our dinner took a little longer because we got into a long chat with the sommelier. He noticed a bottle of wine we brought, it was one he tried once and really enjoyed, he'd met the winemaker, who is a good friend of our group, he couldn't get over that we knew him, then it turned out he was on the Mariner a few years ago and met the winemaker when he was doing a wine dinner for OUR group...small world kind of thing. Anyway, I know dinner went on longer due to all of that chit chat.

Port debarkation: We only got off in St. Maarten, and didn't get off then til close to noon, so of course there were no lines. No real lines getting back on either. It appeared that they were disembarking/embarking from 2 different gangways.

Immigration at Port Everglades: new/expanded terminal just for Oasis/Allure; one side handles embarkation, and the other side debarkation. We walked right off the ship about 7:30 or 7:45, with our luggage (self check out), no lines to get off, no lines at customs

Meg ~ we were at the Chef's Table on the Tuesday evening Dec 8.Were you there then? I enjoyed it as well but don't think I would do it again either. Sorry I did not get to 150 Central Park but plan on that in October when I go again.

Thanks for your review

Oh gosh, what day was it??? It was either Monday or Tuesday I think. I think Monday, but not sure. We were a party of 8 (4 couples), and we were at the end of the table where the chef came out and explained each dish. There were 2 couples at the other end of the table, and then 2 empty seats I think. Were you one of those other 2 couples?

Waterbug, how was Izumi?

I liked it. Everyone else got the complimentary miso soup, but I had a shrimp dumpling soup which was good. Then a spicy tuna roll and a California roll. The tuna roll was fried, so crispy on the outside, which I'd never had before but really liked it. 2 friends got one also and liked it. My BF got a beef hot rock.

I liked it. Everyone else got the complimentary miso soup, but I had a shrimp dumpling soup which was good. Then a spicy tuna roll and a California roll. The tuna roll was fried, so crispy on the outside, which I'd never had before but really liked it. 2 friends got one also and liked it. My BF got a beef hot rock.

Thanks!!!

Archived