Back to the Class System

jebl

I realize it is your opinion. I also realize you are not forcing it on me. In fact, I am rather curious as to how you arrived at your opinion. And I most certainly don't hold anything against you personally for having reached your conclusions.

I guess it is hard for me to get the point because for me cruising has always been about a week with no pager, no calls interupting dinner, no hospital rounds, and spending time with my family and them not having to share me. And I always just assume, yeah I know what happens to people who do that, that everyone else on the ship is there for pretty much the same sort of reasons. Worrying about what anyone else is doing (or wearing), unless they are blowing smoke in my face or $hi!!ing in the pool, just does not factor into my week.

I´m with you. My primary purpose on cruises is relaxing and getting away from the hospital as well and I don´t want to worry about others either.

As to how I got to my opinion, well it might go a little far here to fully explain, but I´ll try in a few words.

It´s not based on this topic and thread alone. But to start with this topic, let alone the thread title asking about "class" says to me there´s more behind than just a space on deck not available anymore. People feel treated worse than their neighbour in the suite and they want the same treatment.

About the same happened when the new C&A perks where announced. People started asking why will D+ still get CL and they are taking it from us D´s. Look at upgrades, how many D´s D+´s will complain when a first timer reports about an upgrade. I could go on and prefer not to mention one other topic that came up throughout this year.;)

It would be truly nice if people would just care about their vacation and relaxation, but it´s unfortunately just not the human nature.

BTW, I feel that once onboard for most people, at least those I´ve met, all the stuff discussed heated here seems to be a non-issue becuase they are too busy having a god time. So a lot might have to do with talking about it in theory and while occupied with our daily stress on here opposed to live a relaxed vacation day onboard.

Yea,I do think the ones that gave her the key were very wrong as well..............they are lucky the concierge didnt get in trouble for it.....

and hey,Im not the one on here saying I dont have a home of my own,no health insurance,no job,etc...........sorry if I assumed she really didnt have money for drinking.......

very wrong as well..............they are lucky the concierge didnt get in trouble for it

quick question;

How would they know she had someone elses key? with folks talking about sometimes 800 d and D+ on board one sailing-there is no way they would know all 800 by name I would think. :confused:

I´m with you. My primary purpose on cruises is relaxing and getting away from the hospital as well and I don´t want to worry about others either.

As to how I got to my opinion, well it might go a little far here to fully explain, but I´ll try in a few words.

It´s not based on this topic and thread alone. But to start with this topic, let alone the thread title asking about "class" says to me there´s more behind than just a space on deck not available anymore. People feel treated worse than their neighbour in the suite and they want the same treatment.

About the same happened when the new C&A perks where announced. People started asking why will D+ still get CL and they are taking it from us D´s. Look at upgrades, how many D´s D+´s will complain when a first timer reports about an upgrade. I could go on and prefer not to mention one other topic that came up throughout this year.;)

It would be truly nice if people would just care about their vacation and relaxation, but it´s unfortunately just not the human nature.

BTW, I feel that once onboard for most people, at least those I´ve met, all the stuff discussed heated here seems to be a non-issue becuase they are too busy having a god time. So a lot might have to do with talking about it in theory and while occupied with our daily stress on here opposed to live a relaxed vacation day onboard.

I think I know what you are referring to. If I have it right it was a mess.

Just curious, do you live any where near Munich? Years ago I spent a summer studying italian in Perugia, Italy and met a German who I became great friends with and we remain so even after the passing of many years. He is a pediatrician in Munich. Obviously, a total diversion from the topic of the thread!:)

Yea,I do think the ones that gave her the key were very wrong as well..............they are lucky the concierge didnt get in trouble for it.....

and hey,Im not the one on here saying I dont have a home of my own,no health insurance,no job,etc...........sorry if I assumed she really didnt have money for drinking.......

Like the concierge......is going to get in trouble....maybe if you complain.....you are lucky....to lead such a charmed life....i hope that you never, ever have to be unemployed......or without health insurance....when you are.....then I think you can be in a position to judge.....

I think I know what you are referring to. If I have it right it was a mess.

Just curious, do you live any where near Munich? Years ago I spent a summer studying italian in Perugia, Italy and met a German who I became great friends with and we remain so even after the passing of many years. He is a pediatrician in Munich. Obviously, a total diversion from the topic of the thread!:)

Not from Munich, actually I´m way up north closer to Cologne (about an hour north of Cologne).

But I have some CC friends in Munich and actually been there just two weeks ago meeting with them and other CC friends from the UK and the US.:cool:

I think the unanimity of the computer gives some people license to b1tch, whine, insult, and complain. If you know who you are and what you are about, how can ropes placed anywhere (not on the body, not saying on the body is wrong, if u don't mind because it's nunyah) change that:confused: Yes, there are a few people who let others define who they are and truly equate class with cash (Kmart/Walmart/trailer/Carnival comments). I think those are in the minority in life and lesser so on deck. Many of us would gladly stay home to avoid them.

I don't think anyone begrudges those who pay more get more and special consideration, what is new to those of us who have cruised over the last ten years is that it is now more "in your face" than ever before.
And that's the problem: It's more "in your face". I don't think anyone "in the cheap seats" minds suite passengers getting special privledges -- but they do mind it being very public.

I've said before: I'm the demographic that the cruise line is trying to target. I'm the passenger who COULD afford to buy a suite, but who chooses a less expensive category. Rather than making me say, "Hey, I'll pay more to get this", these new rules are making me say, "Maybe it's time for me to start vacationing in the islands instead of cruising".

Exactly. There are more than enough chairs on board for every person on the ship. If you walk far forward you'll find stacks of them. They might be tied together depending on the weather but either way the deck staff will be happy to unstack them for you and move them anywhere there space. Not everyone can be right beside the pool but to say there were no lounge chairs available because of those reserved for suite guests is inaccurate.
Not exactly.

How many times have you said, "I think I'll go sit in a deck chair." I'm guessing never. Instead, you say, "I'm going out to the pool." You want to sit close enough that you can watch your children in the pool, close enough that you can go for a dip to cool off. I agree that it's fine not to be on the front row, but no one wants to sit in a chair one floor up from the pool and far forward.

People will deny it, but the truth is it´s all about jealousy.

The discussion won´t end until everybody will get the exact same cabin, exact same service, exact same cabin location, exact same price, exact same lounge chair and location ...... you get the drift.

Or in other words the discussion will never end and never be resolved.

Totally wrong. I'm not a bit jealous; I just don't think public areas should be denied to anyone because of the cabin they've chosen.

I don't want to see everyone have the same exact everything, but I don't want 3/4 of the ship to be unable to get a deck chair or a decent spot on the beach at Labadee while the few get it all.

Suite passengers deserve fantastic rooms -- give them everything there. But they don't deserve more than other people in other areas of the ship.

Totally wrong. I'm not a bit jealous; I just don't think public areas should be denied to anyone because of the cabin they've chosen.

I don't want to see everyone have the same exact everything, but I don't want 3/4 of the ship to be unable to get a deck chair or a decent spot on the beach at Labadee while the few get it all.

Suite passengers deserve fantastic rooms -- give them everything there. But they don't deserve more than other people in other areas of the ship.

It´s good to know that you are not one of the jealous ones.:)

No public areas are denied to anyone. Those roped off suite only areas are no longer public;)

You are telling me that on a Freedom class ship 2700 people (3/4) are unable to get a deck chair or a decent spot on the beach at Labadee because of a small amount of reserved chairs for suite passengers? I´m sorry but that sounds ridiculous to me.

I think the unanimity of the computer gives some people license to b1tch, whine, insult, and complain. If you know who you are and what you are about, how can ropes placed anywhere (not on the body, not saying on the body is wrong, if u don't mind because it's nunyah) change that:confused: Yes, there are a few people who let others define who they are and truly equate class with cash (Kmart/Walmart/trailer/Carnival comments). I think those are in the minority in life and lesser so on deck. Many of us would gladly stay home to avoid them.
It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about, and then I realized you probably used the wrong word. I think you mean the anonymity of the computer.

I'm not a bit jealous; I just don't think public areas should be denied to anyone because of the cabin they've chosen.

Not a bit jealous? Really?

Here's the bottom line... either put up or shut up.

Yes, I've read that you can afford a suite. How good for you. I can too. Yet over the past couple of years, I've chosen not too. And I make that decision with the acceptance of the fact that I will not be entitled to the certain perks extended to those who book a GS, OS, etc. I'll take my balcony and they can get a couple hundred square feet more for a week for 2 to 3x more than what I paid.

Out of curiosity, what do you suggest that RCI gives their suite guests in their suites? :confused: A cruise vacation delivers a multifaceted experience. Shouldn't the suite guests be entitled to their benefits ship wide?

How many times have you said, "I think I'll go sit in a deck chair." I'm guessing never. Instead, you say, "I'm going out to the pool." You want to sit close enough that you can watch your children in the pool, close enough that you can go for a dip to cool off. I agree that it's fine not to be on the front row, but no one wants to sit in a chair one floor up from the pool and far forward. Totally wrong. I'm not a bit jealous; I just don't think public areas should be denied to anyone because of the cabin they've chosen.

I'm one of those that has zero interest in hanging out at the pool, but I often do go find a deck chair elsewhere on the ship.

I accept that mine is a minority preference, and I think it sucks rocks that such a popular spot suddenly has Reserved Seating. Made worse when those for whom the seating is reserved SIT ELSEWHERE!!!

God how I wish people stopped using the "you're just jealous" crutch. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you're jealous! It's one thing if you see prime roped off chairs being used. But when they're barely used and sit empty, forcing you to have to sit a deck above the pool area and way up front in the gale-force winds, it's annoying and a waste of a "perk." MOST, if not ALL of us have NO PROBLEM with getting what you pay for!!!! God!!

I just don't think public areas should be denied to anyone because of the cabin they've chosen.
The reserved area by the pool is not a public area any more than the Concierge Lounge is a public area, it's just more easily viewable by people who don't have access. And happens to be in an area that more people wish they had access to.

The suite IS the benefit.

Can you explain that benefit?

It's not on a price per square foot basis. My D1 on Serenade is $45/sf, while an OS is $51/sf.

Marketing 101- provide value added to your highest paying customers. Translated here as, priority seating, embarkation, debarkation, lounge access, pool chairs, etc.

Like I said in a prior thread... either put up or shut up. Don't begrudge others of what you choose not to buy.

Oh wow. Can you imagine a cruise filled with us posters that get out of hand?? How fun! Kooljamming and I would be running around with our bellies showing everywhere, Amybeth would be busting into the CL every chance she got, we could have an all out brawl over jeans in the MDR....what else?:D

Oh yea, Bluegirlem will have the rum runners.....See, this is why you're in charge of planning, lol!

Sounds like a great cruise to me. And, according to PH8, I'll make sure to continually announce it to people when I get home.

The reserved area by the pool is not a public area any more than the Concierge Lounge is a public area, it's just more easily viewable by people who don't have access. And happens to be in an area that more people wish they had access to.

And what was the roped off area BEFORE it was roped off? A much-coveted public area that an extra 42 people could use but was then taken away from them.

God how I wish people stopped using the "you're just jealous" crutch. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you're jealous! It's one thing if you see prime roped off chairs being used. But when they're barely used and sit empty, forcing you to have to sit a deck above the pool area and way up front in the gale-force winds, it's annoying and a waste of a "perk." MOST, if not ALL of us have NO PROBLEM with getting what you pay for!!!! God!!

So you really don't like that people get what they've paid for?

If I'm paying $3,000 per person for a 7 night cruise in an OS and part of that fare is a guarantee of a chair at the pool or ice show or theater, then by golly, I want it because I paid for it.

You can have it too!!! It's just that you pay for it. Simple isn't it?

Pretty simple concept isn't it? ;)

Wow... two days in a row Mark. Gotta get more lotto tickets!!! :D

Archived