Should I cancel our Carnival Conquest cruise and book the RCCL Voyager?

Kaki

We are having a hard time deciding. We are booked on the Conquest in a quad inside cabin and this will be my 10th cruise (Platinum:D)

The RCCL Voyager has a quad ocean view for less than the Conquest's inside cabin. We have never sailed with RCCL. I have always booked with Carnival because they had the best rates.

Anyone ever been on the Voyager AND the Conquest? Is there much difference between the cruises?

You will find that most things are very similar. By this, I mean the service, food, entertainment, etc. Despite a lot of what you read around here, the two lines are very similar.

What sets the Conquest and Voyager apart is the ships, themselves. Voyager Class is very unique and, in my opinion, blows Conquest out of the water in terms of amenities and "wow" factor.

If you can upgrade and pay less, this is the perfect opportunity for you to try another cruise line. I would change to the Voyager in a heartbeat.

RCL is a much prettier ship. The cabin on RCL will be slightly smaller since its a inside cabin.

The dining room on Voyager is 3 tiers with tables that look overhanging. You will walk in and say wow. I loved the Promenade cafe, and the pizza is hot and can be grabbed as it comes out of the oven ... and they have those soft freshly made cookies there for that midnight snack. The cookies now on Conquest are smaller and hard, not soft.

Id pick Voyager if you can cancel without penalty on Conquest ... do conquest later this year or Ecstasy and get that Platinum cruise in!! Iv done voyager only twice and Conquest 4 times .. mostly because Conquest is year round.

We are having a hard time deciding. We are booked on the Conquest in a quad inside cabin and this will be my 10th cruise (Platinum:D)

The RCCL Voyager has a quad ocean view for less than the Conquest's inside cabin. We have never sailed with RCCL. I have always booked with Carnival because they had the best rates.

Anyone ever been on the Voyager AND the Conquest? Is there much difference between the cruises?

I am Platinum with Carnival and I am booked on my 2nd Rccl cruise in 3 months since there was such low prices

I highly recommend checking out RCCL I was impressed

Kaki, I am an experienced Carnival cruiser, and also have cruised,and like, Royal Caribbean. I tend to enjoy Carnival just a bit more. I have never cruised on the Conquest,but notice that you have, several times. So you know what to expect, and must enjoy it. I have also never cruised on Voyager, but have cruised on her sister ship, the Mariner, twice. I personally absolutely love the Voyager class of ships. Much as I enjoy Carnival, they have nothing, at least so far, that can measure up to Royals Voyager class. The ship is huge, tho now dwarfed by the Oasis, but still huge, with so many things to see and do. You can't really experience everthing in only 1 week. So, my vote is go with the Voyager, and see for yourself just how much fun you can have.

I was able to sail the Voyager because it was cheaper then a carnival cruise at the time.

I say--make the switch- its fun to compare.

Although with sailing the Voyager we discovered that ship was too big.

But there was something about seeing an ice skating show while at sea. That itself was worth the switch.

We came back to carnival but then tried Princess- which is now our favorite line.

I would do that in a heartbeat especially if I had already been on Conquest. I did my first RCCL cruise last week and really enjoyed it. It was on their smallest ship though. The Voyager Class looks great. To me it sounds like the perfect time to try something new out. Platinum can wait, you are obviously going to hit it soon anyway.

It looks like you are close to Platinum status. If I read the the cruises you took before, this would be your 10th. Is that right? If so, I'd stick with Carnival. I'm looking forward to being Platinum one day, and barring any horrible experiences with Carnival, will stick to my plan!

I'd switch in a heartbeat if it were cheaper. We have sailed both RCCL and Carnival. We like them both. The RCCL decor is a bit more sophisticated. The food is a toss up-- we thought breakfast was better on RCCL and dinner was better on Carnival. We are sailing on the Conquest (for the first time) at the end of February. I almost booked Voyager, which was about the same price for the first two people in the room, but we are taking the kids, and the extra people in the room were more on Voyager. We'll get on Voager at some point, though-- the ice skating rink really intrigues me!!

I have never sailed on RCCL...but I do not think the Platinum perks (although I love them)on Carnival is enough to stay for.... if you can get a better room on RCCL for less money.

I would give RCCL a try.

Just double check your RCCL cabin location......just like on Carnival....location location location!!!

Im just guessing the OV is a guarantee on RCL from the prices I have seen that are extra low.

The OVs on Voyager are 180 s.f. vs. 185 s.f. for the inside on Conquest ... so you are only losing 5 s.f. I have pics of a regular OV on Voyager if you want to see them. Lots of dark green in the color scheme.

Sure, go for it if the itinerary is just as interesting to you. Differences between the cruises? There will be some. but the difference between one Conquest cruise and another could be greater than a cruise between the 2 lines. Carnival has no ship to compare with Voyager. RCL HAS the better ships. RCL has no food to compare with Carnival. That is not saying RCL food is bad. Its good enough, Carnival's is better.

Thank you all so much for all the information. We will have a family meeting and make our final decision. (we are taking our teens, 18 & 16, on this cruise for spring break:)) I will let you know how it turns out:D.

Fellow cruisers:

You should expand your horizons and try Voyager, as many have said here, if only so you know more about what you like and don't like. Ship amenities, itinerary, and price, while important, are not the only reasons for selecting a ship. There are some intangibles as well.

My wife and I finished a 1 week cruise on Conquest yesterday. The food and service were the best we've had over the years on any ship. And, we say that even after our ship was delayed 1 day in leaving out of Galveston due to fog (we sailed on Monday morning, instead of Sunday late afternoon). In comparison, our fellow cruisers on Voyager were 2 days delayed in leaving Galveston (again, due to heavy fog). Plus, Voyager was still pointing west that day, instead of toward the ship channel's exit to the Gulf, which would be pointing east. So the bigger, more beautiful ship could not leave Galveston for yet an addtional day. Turning Voyager around in the ship channel with fog, some have reported, would have been too risky for leaving Galveston on Monday. So she sailed on Tuesday morning (gratefully!), and people were finally on vacation.

RCCL provided passengers the option to leave the ship, we hear, for a 100% credit against a future cruise in 2010, if they left the ship by Monday evening. We felt sorry for our Voyager friends. However, Conquest sailed out of port on Monday, one day late, with one port dropped, to start a Bahamas/Key West vacation. But, I'll add we enjoyed Voyager this past March when we cruised on her. It also has many options for fun, if that's what you're looking for.

You pay your money, and you take your chances.

Another day, maybe we'll be on Voyager watching Conquest leave port a day earlier, in the fog. You never know. But try something new. Then you'll know more about what you like.

I can tell you that yesteday, Voyager was pointing east toward the ship channel exit to the Gulf. And the day was clear and sunny, as we watched from Conquest, and saw how Voyager dropped her 10 port side lifeboats for drills (all looked fine!).

Good luck in all your cruise plans!

Bob and Donna from Dallas / Ft. Worth

Back in DFW, and missing Carnival Conquest!

RCCL lost the vote:rolleyes:

It was really the ininerary that won since my DH really wants to go back to Grand Cayman and my DD wants to go to Jamaica. I have been on the Conquest several times, 2nd time for DH, and first time for DS and DD.

We even decided to upgrade to a balcony cabin to surprise the kids, (of course we won't enjoy it at all:D) we have shown them pictures of the inside cabins with the bunks so that is what they are expecting.:eek:

Thank you again for all the information about the Voyager.

Yes once you go RCCL you'll never go back.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................to RCCL:D

Archived