DH 's been called for Jury Duty during Cruise

GlenandVal

:confused::confused::confused:Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge

WHAT letter, we did not get a letter :D:D

That is my story, and I am sticking to it.

:eek:

You'll be sticking to the handcuffs to. Read the notice, they don't like it when you don't respond.

I've had to write in letters several times after being called for jury duty. I did serve on 2 trials back in the 80's, but then I started working for a police department, and read all the police files, so I know too much.:rolleyes:

Val, if you have insurance, and I hope you do, jury duty is a covered reason with many policies. However, I believe all you have to do is photocopy your cruise docs, and send them in. The booking date of your cruise must be before your jury summons had been mailed out. I have no doubt that your DH will be excused.;)

And, have a great cruise!:)

I got called up during a time when I had some business negotiations going on and could not serve. I just called the bailiff's office and explained the situation. HE recommended I reschedule for another date. He even recommended I reschedule the week of Christmas because their was not court the following week (we have to serve a two week window normally). When I did go in the week of Christmas, all the cases were deferred to the following year and NO ONE had to serve at all. They send us all home with one days pay (oh, by the way, that was $9.90!)

I googled your dilemma and you'll be happy to know that.... (necessary info in bold)....

Exemptions

The Jury Act allows some exemptions from jury service based on extraordinary circumstances. Inconvenience is not an acceptable reason for exemption. If you need to seek an exemption, you must prove that you qualify. All requests for exemptions are to be made in writing and submitted with the completed Juror Certification Form. Any such exemption should be made well in advance of the jury selection date.

Some exemptions may be granted through the mail. You must send the necessary information, as described below, to the sheriff’s office at the address shown on the Summons. The sheriff may exempt you if:

• Serving as a juror would cause you extreme hardship. This could apply if, for example, you are a nursing mother, or self-employed and your business would be threatened by your absence.
  • Limited ability to speak or understand English would impede your duty as a juror.
  • Firm travel plans or other vacation plans conflict with the jury selection or trial date.

The link is here: http://www.ag.gov.bc.ca/courts/other/jury_duty.htm#exemptions

Moral of the story... enjoy your cruise!!!

I was called up to serve over the 4th of July holiday weeks last summer. We had plans that involved us to be out-of-town for two of the days. I wrote a letter to the Clerk of Courts explaining the situation and offering to serve two other days -- the clerk's office reassigned my obligation for that week to another week. No problem.

While I, too, have no knowledge of the Canadian court system, I've been working with the U.S. court system for nearly 40 years and my cousin is chief clerk of our county court. What you say is true, EXCEPT all of this takes place AFTER you have reported for duty and AFTER you have been chosen to sit for a particular case. Prior to that, it IS a clerk who decides whether or not you need to report on a given day - judges are NOT involved in this process. With a good excuse (and having non-refundable cruise tickets is, indeed, a good excuse), your name will be thrown back into the pool and you will be called on another date.

Yes, that has been my experience. I was working on a project with a deadline right in that jury duty timeframe. Probably helped that the project I was working on was a legal matter but I was excused well before having to appear.

I have only been thru voir dire once and all the other times sat in the big room of potential jurors only to be excused hours later. No one talks to you in there.

You'll be sticking to the handcuffs to. Read the notice, they don't like it when you don't respond.

depends on where you are. people here had been skating for years with no repercussions. it wasn't until there weren't enuf people to seat all required trials that finally they started getting tough. Not tough enuf, tho.

"Contempt of Court" has ALWAYS meant something to me!

I received a jury duty notice prior to my last cruise. I just called and told them I had firm travel plans to be out of the country at that time. They basically excused my from jury duty for that date and put me back into the "queue" for a later date for duty. It was pretty easy, not a big deal.

Certainly you can explain that you've had this vacation booked for months and cannot cancel without incurring major fees. I'm not even sure jury duty is a covered reason for most travel insurance plans.

Travel Guard insurance covers you if you are required to serve on a jury.

thanks everyone for your quick replies to our most strange crusie dilemima

Glenn will photo copy our cruise docements and tell them if is willing to do Jury Duty but not at this exact time

hope it is ok otherwise once we are back in the country he may be arested kidding but.

I was called to Jury Duty in Vancouver, some showed documents of travel and were excused...........good luck!!!:)

Just FYI, the clerk doesn't decide who will serve and who's excuse is legitimate. So thinking you're going to call the courthouse and get excused is to misunderstand the process.

The judge alone can decide who is and isn't excused. The attorneys will each have a set number of "for cause" dismissals and one or two "peremptory challenges" that the judge may or may not honor. But when you fill out the jury summons response and include a reason "why you may not serve" ... that is just a note that helps the judge know in advance who is coming into the courtroom with a desire to be released.

Your husband will have to sit through the voire dire process at least.

It's not like that here in Connecticut. I just got the jury duty form and we can defer our service date for up to 10 months just by filling in the form and returning it before a specified date.

Works that way in Wisconsin, too. My sister-in-law had a long weekend planned with us and got the notice that she was wanted for jury duty on the Thursday of "Girls' Weekend." She was also able to get a deferral without having to go to the court.

In Florida (at least Palm Beach County), you can request a change of date by mailing the form back. No big deal. Asking to be excused completely needs an explanation and may not be granted.

This what happens in Norfolk County in Massachusetts as well. I have sent the change of date form back many times with no problems. They even let you select the month you would like to change to and most times your requested month is given to you.

I got an invitation to visit the nice people at the courthouse. I mailed bac k the form with the dates we would be away. Got a notice requesting my presence right in the middle of our last trip. Called the clerk, let her know just how happy I was to get their invite, but that I would be away, and gave her the other dates too. She got such a big kick out of my comments (I would imagine most people call and b----),she told me no problem, and would put me back in the pool for after Feb. It all depends on how you approach it :D

Just FYI, the clerk doesn't decide who will serve and who's excuse is legitimate. So thinking you're going to call the courthouse and get excused is to misunderstand the process.

The judge alone can decide who is and isn't excused. The attorneys will each have a set number of "for cause" dismissals and one or two "peremptory challenges" that the judge may or may not honor. But when you fill out the jury summons response and include a reason "why you may not serve" ... that is just a note that helps the judge know in advance who is coming into the courtroom with a desire to be released.

Your husband will have to sit through the voire dire process at least.

That may be true in Canada, but in NC, the Clerk of Court can excuse you. All you need to do is call her/him and tell them why you can't serve (and a prearranged vacation is just cause) and they will put your name back in the pot for another time.

I can't help but wonder where you got this information. It's wrong but yet you state it as if it's fact. Why?

I was called for jury duty here in Vancouver, BC a couple of years ago, just a few weeks before I was due to fly off to Scotland. I just called them up and explained the situation and they told me to send them a copy of my tickets (etickets, etc.) and a copy of the jury duty notification that had been sent to me and that was it. I also sent a little letter explaining that I would be glad to serve on a jury at some point in the future. I would too - I would love to serve on a jury. I think it would be extremely interesting. There is really no problem here.

That may be true in Canada, but in NC, the Clerk of Court can excuse you. All you need to do is call her/him and tell them why you can't serve (and a prearranged vacation is just cause) and they will put your name back in the pot for another time.

I can't help but wonder where you got this information. It's wrong but yet you state it as if it's fact. Why?

It's not true in Canada and he's American so he's not speaking for Canadians.

I was called for jury duty here in Vancouver, BC a couple of years ago, just a few weeks before I was due to fly off to Scotland. I just called them up and explained the situation and they told me to send them a copy of my tickets (etickets, etc.) and a copy of the jury duty notification that had been sent to me and that was it. I also sent a little letter explaining that I would be glad to serve on a jury at some point in the future. I would too - I would love to serve on a jury. I think it would be extremely interesting. There is really no problem here.

I was picked for selection and then the judge decided if some wanted to be excused but if you are on a cruise already, then sending them the copy should do it. I was rejected and very happy as it was a month long murder trial.

Also, I thought if you were 65 or older you could be excused in Van.? Or if a Doctor said you were not able to do so.

:confused::confused::confused:Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge

WHAT letter, we did not get a letter :D:D

That is my story, and I am sticking to it.

:eek:

Actually this IS true. You will not get put in handcuffs. There will be no warrant put out for you. If a letter delivered by the US postal service is not delivered with a signature required, then there is every possibility that it was not delivered at all. No one can prove it was delivered. But once a phone call is made to try to get out of it, they KNOW it was delivered and if they won't reschedule, too bad for the person who called.

Gina

Actually this IS true. You will not get put in handcuffs. There will be no warrant put out for you. If a letter delivered by the US postal service is not delivered with a signature required, then there is every possibility that it was not delivered at all. No one can prove it was delivered. But once a phone call is made to try to get out of it, they KNOW it was delivered and if they won't reschedule, too bad for the person who called.

Gina

In the United States there is a rebuttal presumption that a properly posted letter has been delivered. As such, there will be a threatening follow up letter. Ignore that an a warrant will be issued. If you can then convince the judge you didn't get the letters, then you will be released. However, by then, you will already have spent a night in jail.

Archived