DH 's been called for Jury Duty during Cruise

GlenandVal

http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2009/05/missing-jury-duty-what-happens.html

One person not likely to ignore another jury summons is Jermaine Dupri, CEO of So So Def Recordings. Dupri recently served a three-day jail sentence in Fayetteville, Georgia for missing jury duty in March 1999. With as much as 80 percent of the population shirking jury duty in some counties, more courts are starting to crack down.

http://www.legalzoom.com/legal-articles/Jury-Dodgers-What-really-happens.html

Do you really want to chance it?

Well my boyfriend is going through that now... he got subpoened to go to court and when he went the judge told him he would have to go to jury duty the following monday and stay there for 8 hours even if he was the only one in the courtroom and then he has to write a 2 page essay on the importance of jury duty and read it to the court and if he doesn't do that he will have to serve 30 days in the county jail... my advice go to your jury duty....... I told him the same thing and look at what he is going through now...

The judge can enter a bench warrant to arrest the individual. Then they can impose fines or even jail time. The above is an excellent example of what can happen!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_penalty_for_missing_Jury_Duty

A Berrien County man was recently jailed for failing to show up for jury duty.

Frank Kirschner says his only crime is being forgetful.

Kirschner is a 51-year old self employed manufacturing representative, who has never been in legal trouble before.

http://www.wndu.com/home/misc/9769967.html

Lets look at the links you have posted to prove your point that judges will automatically throw you in jail for missing jury duty:

This man reported for jury duty, and elected to skip out after lunch. Like no one was going to miss him. Sure he wound up in a jail cell.

Legal Zoom.Com...Co-founded by Robert Shapiro, a member of O.J. Simpson's dream team. I agree with you. Where would O.J be if his jurors wouldn't have been there for him ?

What other advise would you expect to find on a site developed by lawyers ?

The problem with a one paragraph reference like this is you don't hear both sides of the story. Such as did the individual cop an attitude with the judge when he reported, so the judge decided to teach him a thing or two about who was running the courtroom, and who wasn't.

Frank Kirschner missed not one, but two court dates relating to jury duty. And after he was arrested for the warrant, he failed to obey the order to report for sentencing on the specified date issued by the court, which he was legally served notice of.

Frank failed to appear at sentencing. Not exactly the time that you want to upset a judge.

To repeat one statement that I made: Judges that have any common sense will know that letters get lost in the mail, and will be reluctant to jail someone, based only on a presumption. The above examples show either multiple contacts with the individual by the court, or fail to give the whole story that might give a legitimate reason for the person ending up in jail.

This has been an interesting discussion, but I want to know:

SilverVal (the OP) - have you done anything about this yet?

You'll get opinions on this board, but you'll only get the real answer by contacting the court.

well Glenmn my Husband who was called for jury duty has written a letter ( I can hardly read his writing had suggested he type but he didnt

and now I guess all we do is wait for the reply to come back

I d rather he typed a letter stating phone numbers , emails etc

Im sure it will be fine, but Feb 3 is whenw e are back from cruise, Feb 23 IM suppose to go in for gall bladder surgery

I can only hope

well Glenmn my Husband who was called for jury duty has written a letter ( I can hardly read his writing had suggested he type but he didnt

and now I guess all we do is wait for the reply to come back

I d rather he typed a letter stating phone numbers , emails etc

Im sure it will be fine, but Feb 3 is whenw e are back from cruise, Feb 23 IM suppose to go in for gall bladder surgery

I can only hope

Thanks for letting us know, Val.

Your DH has done it his way ;).

Hope it all works out for you both, and best wishes for your surgery.

Celle

We all gasp at the awards some folks get from juries...but we forget, as many people as possible try to duck their responsibility....this tends to give new meaning to the low end of the gene pool! Pray if you ever need a jury and you are in the right that you don't have to settle for the "leftovers"

Glad Silver got the ball rolling...have had two jury duty dates moved due to a cruise, never a problem...easy and agreable folks at the Clerk of the Courts office.

Just to inject a little humor in this. When my daughter was in basic training for the Air Force she received a jury summons. I called the court clerk to explain she was unavailable and why. The clerk then asked me when she would be home so she could do jury duty. I finally gave up and told him I would let her know she was scheduled for jury duty and to tell her commanding officer she had to be excused from the military so she could go sit on a jury.

We all gasp at the awards some folks get from juries...but we forget, as many people as possible try to duck their responsibility....this tends to give new meaning to the low end of the gene pool! Pray if you ever need a jury and you are in the right that you don't have to settle for the "leftovers"

Glad Silver got the ball rolling...have had two jury duty dates moved due to a cruise, never a problem...easy and agreable folks at the Clerk of the Courts office.

And that is exaclty how the plantiff's lawyers like it. Now that you brought this up, the next time I am called maybe I'll let the attorneys know that I can be conveniently out of town if they just fork over a ticket on a cruise ship.:D

And that is exaclty how the plantiff's lawyers like it. Now that you brought this up, the next time I am called maybe I'll let the attorneys know that I can be conveniently out of town if they just fork over a ticket on a cruise ship.:D

My Husband is not trying to get out of jury duty rather he needs to delay it as we booked a family cruise a year ago for January 24, plus I have surgery Feb 23

My Husband is not trying to get out of jury duty rather he needs to delay it as we booked a family cruise a year ago for January 24, plus I have surgery Feb 23

Sorry, I wasn't accusing anyone of trying to get out of anything. I was making a joke.....:(

Lets look at the links you have posted to prove your point that judges will automatically throw you in jail for missing jury duty:

This man reported for jury duty, and elected to skip out after lunch. Like no one was going to miss him. Sure he wound up in a jail cell.

Legal Zoom.Com...Co-founded by Robert Shapiro, a member of O.J. Simpson's dream team. I agree with you. Where would O.J be if his jurors wouldn't have been there for him ?

What other advise would you expect to find on a site developed by lawyers ?

The problem with a one paragraph reference like this is you don't hear both sides of the story. Such as did the individual cop an attitude with the judge when he reported, so the judge decided to teach him a thing or two about who was running the courtroom, and who wasn't.

Frank Kirschner missed not one, but two court dates relating to jury duty. And after he was arrested for the warrant, he failed to obey the order to report for sentencing on the specified date issued by the court, which he was legally served notice of.

Frank failed to appear at sentencing. Not exactly the time that you want to upset a judge.

To repeat one statement that I made: Judges that have any common sense will know that letters get lost in the mail, and will be reluctant to jail someone, based only on a presumption. The above examples show either multiple contacts with the individual by the court, or fail to give the whole story that might give a legitimate reason for the person ending up in jail.

So if some does end up in jail after following your advise, are you going to go to the judge and explain to the judge why the judge is wrong?

Sorry, I wasn't accusing anyone of trying to get out of anything. I was making a joke.....:(

sorry its ok really I usually make a joke of most things as a cancer surviver I have to

its ok I m just feeling out of sorts with the crusie coming up in January waiting for the excuse to be ok

knowing my missing son is still missing

knowing my other son is still holding a grudge against me

ya Laughter is the best medicine

I run Laughter Yoga sesions it usually helps

thanks but I do think they wont want my hubby in the long run one of our co workers went to his jury selection and was excused for being a social service worker as we are lol

thanks hugs Merry Christmas Happy Healthy New Year to alllllllllllll

I responded to the OP earlier in this thread to share my DH's experience with rescheduling a jury duty summons. Well, guess what was in my mailbox today?? Yep, a jury duty summons....;) And the date of my summons was for when we'll be on vacation this winter (not our cruise, but a winter escape to Florida.) Our county's system is so user-friendly. After I did the registration online, there was a tab to "reschedule jury duty," which I clicked on....they gave me several dates to pick from, and I was able to pick a date for a day that was convenient for me. I can't imagine why all jurisdictions aren't so cooperative, and I hope the OP was able to make their changes....:)

Karen

sorry its ok really I usually make a joke of most things as a cancer surviver I have to

its ok I m just feeling out of sorts with the crusie coming up in January waiting for the excuse to be ok

knowing my missing son is still missing

knowing my other son is still holding a grudge against me

ya Laughter is the best medicine

I run Laughter Yoga sesions it usually helps

thanks but I do think they wont want my hubby in the long run one of our co workers went to his jury selection and was excused for being a social service worker as we are lol

thanks hugs Merry Christmas Happy Healthy New Year to alllllllllllll

Val, I remember the story of your missing son, and I wanted to say again how sorry I am. :( I can't even imagine what you are going through.

(((((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))

OMG he just opened his mail, he s been called for Jury Duty on January 25, but our cruise on the Marier leaves LA on January 24, OMG OMG OMG it states that the only way he can get out of it is to claim he is mentally incompetent, or if he commits a crime but then no cruise anyways haha

I smiled and said perhaps I can crusie alone in our cabin, or with my mom, and my step father and their friend in the other room

that could happen,

but DH and I are in different rooms ( were told to do this a couple years ago by LA) ( we re both Diamond members

anyone know what he can do ?

He needs to respond within 5 days ........

Wife was called for jury duty in New West this September. She wrote them a note telling them that we had a trip booked to Frisco for that week. They wrote back excusing her - no other paperwork or proof required. Easy-peazy! :cool:

We all gasp at the awards some folks get from juries...but we forget' date=' as many people as possible try to duck their responsibility....this tends to give new meaning to the low end of the gene pool! Pray if you ever need a jury and you are in the right that you don't have to settle for the "leftovers"

[/quote']

Jury, you are thinking about money. I would want the one deciding in the plaintiffs behalf....mine:confused: If someone is intent on giving out of jury duty maybe I don't want them on mine. Messing with someone's vacation is like p!$$!ng of the chef. They might not do things in your best interest.

I just hope they are better able to decide on a decent settlement than how some people here decide what is appropriate for the MDR.

Jeans: yes, no, yes, yes, no:D

I have never minded serving on a Jury, however before I retired it was a hardship, as my employer didn't pay, which meant for a 3 day trial. I was out $300. Of the times I did report in, except for the one trial, I sat down at the courthouse all day waiting to see if I would be put on a jury, 90& of time I was sent home. One time after sitting til early afternoon we were sent home, only to have to return the next AM and still were finally dismissed later on that day, so basically lost 2 days pay. Now I am retired and haven't been called yet.

I responded to the OP earlier in this thread to share my DH's experience with rescheduling a jury duty summons. Well, guess what was in my mailbox today?? Yep, a jury duty summons....;) And the date of my summons was for when we'll be on vacation this winter (not our cruise, but a winter escape to Florida.) Our county's system is so user-friendly. After I did the registration online, there was a tab to "reschedule jury duty," which I clicked on....they gave me several dates to pick from, and I was able to pick a date for a day that was convenient for me. I can't imagine why all jurisdictions aren't so cooperative, and I hope the OP was able to make their changes....:)

Karen

wow that would make things way too easy but ti does make sense as he is Happy to do his duty but not when he is suppose to be with me on the crusie

Val, I remember the story of your missing son, and I wanted to say again how sorry I am. :( I can't even imagine what you are going through.

(((((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thanks hugs he will always be in my heart I hope one day he will call we had the adult step kids and spouses over tongiht it went wonderfully was nice

Wife was called for jury duty in New West this September. She wrote them a note telling them that we had a trip booked to Frisco for that week. They wrote back excusing her - no other paperwork or proof required. Easy-peazy! :cool:

we are in New Westminster so Im hoping they will take his excuse and reschedule it

has your wife been called back yet

a friend of ours came on and told me she was called in Sept and was rescheduled for this January

Merry Christmas every one hugsssssssssssssssssssssssssss

A very Official sounding man called for Glenn today, he was a Sherrif from New Westminster Law Courts, Glenn's name is going back into the pot to be called at a different time, and he can go on the cruise yaaaaaaaaaaaa

The sherriff called to tell Glenn that.

wonder when he will be called, but I m happy he will be on the cruise with me.............

Thanks everyone for your support / advice and sharing of stories.

Valerie

Great news! I was called for jury duty next month, and for February as well, and we're going on the Mariner Jan. 24. Fortunately, at least in Oregon, when you hit 70 years of age (I turned 73 last Sunday) you can claim an exemption. But, if it weren't for the cruise, I would have been glad to serve!

Great news! I was called for jury duty next month, and for February as well, and we're going on the Mariner Jan. 24. Fortunately, at least in Oregon, when you hit 70 years of age (I turned 73 last Sunday) you can claim an exemption. But, if it weren't for the cruise, I would have been glad to serve!

I hope you are onh our Roll Call Meet and Mingle

and yaaaaaaaaaa here in Canada you can opt out of Jury Duty if over 65 1 1/2 years for DH

yaaaa see you on cruise

Archived