cruise line question for more conservative family

LiseD

We are just back from a Carnival cruise to the western Caribbean. We had a great time but would love some advise for if we decide to cruise again. I didn't think that Carnival was the best "fit" for our family. We have 2 adults and 2 older teens. We are a pretty conservative family....not really into crazy parties, lots of drinking, etc Carnival does a great job of being the "fun ship" so nothing against them or anyone that wants to party on their vacation....we are just all different and enjoy different things! Trying not to offend anyone here!! :)

Just wondering your thoughts on a cruise line that might be a better fit for our family? Any suggestions? Would love a more subdued environment and also a little step up in service. We can't afford the real high end luxury lines...so more interested in the other more popular lines.

Boy...we really sound like a boring family. ha ha

I think you'd appreciate Holland America. A little more laid back, usually excellent service, good food. Shows are no where close to Carnival in quality, but shows don't made/break a cruise experience. Good luck on your next choice of ships, and no, your family doesn't sound boring at all.

The 4 Holland American cruises with teenagers were their best. Fewer kids, less of a wild adult party and more adult like activities (beach trip, Monte Carlo night, disco, teen’s dinner table in the lido, etc.) just for the teens. On some of the HAL ships they even have a teen’s only retreat with hot tub and waterfall.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Pending Cruises:

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

My three favorite cruise lines are HAL, Princess, and Celebrity. I love Celebrity's smoking policy. On our most recent cruise on Princess, with smokers right beside us, I never smelled smoke in our cabin, just a whiff when opening the door.

The best thing about Princess' larger ships is there is room for pool games in one pool, Movies Under the Stars at another pool, plus a couple of quiet pools that are adults only.

we have sailed Carnival,Royal,Norweign,Princess and Disney I Would try Princess when we want more quiet and a little higher class we sail them but do not forget Disney we have sailed just adults and love it the partys are for everyone young and old, and fireworks off ship are the best

I was surprised at what a class operation Disney was. My experices completely surpassed my expectations. Disney is a fine choice for a family looking to go the more conservative route, but it is pricier than most of the other lines (all buy Crystal) mentioned in this thread. Good luck finding the line that's right for your family.

Disney is a cruise line we never considered, so I find it interesting to see so many recommend. I just had this vision of tons of little kids around and having dinner with Micky! Guess we need to look into Disney...but Celebrety, HAL and Priincess also sound good. thanks so much!

If you are looking to be at about the same price as Carnival, I would try NCL. We did an NCL in Hawaii and then about 6 months later we did a Carnival in the Caribbean. We are going on another cruise in 2010 and we picked NCL because of the price. I looked at Celebrity, Princess and HAL and they were too much money for me.

Judi

Disney is a cruise line we never considered, so I find it interesting to see so many recommend. I just had this vision of tons of little kids around and having dinner with Micky! Guess we need to look into Disney...but Celebrety, HAL and Priincess also sound good. thanks so much!

This was my exact thought when I heard we were doing a family cruise on Disney a few years ago. The Mickey + crew characters are around, but they are definately not intrusive. As someone else mentioned earlier, Disney is not a cruise limited to families. Adults can cruise Disney and have a great time. Since my wife and I are not the "party type" either, The Disney cruise left me with the impression that it may be an enjoyable thing to do on our own someday.

No one has mentioned Royal Caribean. That is a step up from Carnival. We think of Celebrity as more of a county club type of cruise. Holland America used to really cater to seniors but have been working on getting a younger group of passengers. Princess is also a good choice but also seroiusly look at Royal Caribean. I 'd coose one of those two.

CRUISE LINES WE'VE BEEN ON:

Dolphin

Commodore

Regency

Premier

Cape Canaveral Cruises

Carnival

Royal Caribean

Celebrity

NCL

Princess

Costa

I just thought I'd mention that HAL has the same smoking policy as Princess regarding smoking on balconies and in cabins. If that bothers you, then Celebrity would be the better bet.

On the other hand, I've sailed in balconies on Princess for my last 5 cruises and smoke has never been a problem.

Celebrity for sure. If Carnival didn't offer the 150% (as opposed to the 200%) price for a cruise for one on other lines . . . I'd be on Celebrity. The Galaxy was my favorite ship . . . favorite cruise. But . . . when one likes to cruise twice a year and cruises solo . . . I sail on Carnival. Don't get me wrong . . . I like Carvival and I'm sixty-two. One doesn't have to take part in all the "parties" and still have a wonderful time.

If you are looking at Celebrity or Holland America, I'd pick one of their shorter cruises. We recently travelled on a 12 day Celebrity cruise and I could count on one hand the children and teens on board. Shorter cruises will attract younger people and families who have less time available.

IMO, I think you should try Princess - see how you like them; I think they might offer the right balance between activities and elegance. I'm still trying to work up the enthusiasm to try Holland America again after our last cruise with them - I think we were younger than the average demographic on the ship by at least 20 years and felt totally out of place.

If you are looking at Celebrity or Holland America, I'd pick one of their shorter cruises. We recently travelled on a 12 day Celebrity cruise and I could count on one hand the children and teens on board. Shorter cruises will attract younger people and families who have less time available.

IMO, I think you should try Princess - see how you like them; I think they might offer the right balance between activities and elegance. I'm still trying to work up the enthusiasm to try Holland America again after our last cruise with them - I think we were younger than the average demographic on the ship by at least 20 years and felt totally out of place.

LOL, I was a good thirty years younger than the average passenger on the Rotterdam. I know what you mean.

But, we made good friends with two couples among our tablemates (we were at a 10 top), and, while they were a generation older, we very much enjoyed one anothers' company... so much so that one couple joined us on a couple of our excursions and we had drinks with them several nights after dinner.

Granted, there were some of the people we didn't connect with, but, we've been on other cruises where we didn't connect with people our own age, so I'm not sure, at least for me, age has much to do with it.

Our last Princess cruise our kids were, 10, 14, and 16. They LOVED the cruise and did not think it was boring or filled with fuddy duddies.. I thought it was a nice even mix of ages.

We cruised Carnival a few times,, years ago,, it wasn't a good fit for us,, but I wouldn't say I'd never try it again, but we are very happy with Princess.

Princess has more of a subdued, relaxed feel. Except for decor RCCL has much more similarities than difference from Carnival. We loved Princess without the kids but did not find it a good fit for a family vacation. I probably mind more than the kids. I like a more of an upbeat vibe, on going activities, deck parties. We are far from conservative. We spend a lot of time from all inclusive resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean, with occasional toplessness, shake your booty contest (won twice, honorable mention once), Tequila volley ball, the parent take the shot if the kid misses the ball. For same price, Princess would be my least favorite based on vibe. For someone on the opposite spectrum, that would be a good start.

The first cruise line I thought of while reading your post is Princess. Still in the general price range of Carnival, but much much more subdue. No loud constant announcements and not as pushy on the drinks. Princess just does not "push" their "fun time" like Carnival. However, I will also say that in my experience, Princess is not as lively as Carnival after 11:00 p.m. or so.

I like all cruise lines for one reason or another and we pick based on who or who is not traveling with us. I have not tried Celebrity, but that is next on my list. I believe it is the only "mass" moderately priced line that does not allow smoking on most of the ship, including balconies.

Thanks for all your replies....our cruise was 7 days and again...nothing "wrong" with the party atmosphere...it is just not as much our "style". Hey...Carnival does a GREAT job of doing what they say they are....the "FUN ship"....they are marketing and following through with their plan...so nothing against them and I would recommend them to anyone that wants to be on a party type cruise...it is very fun if that is what you are looking for. The staff was great...food was great...the ship was beautiful...the ports were awesome....we had a wonderful vacation....just thinking that there might be a better "fit" for us next time and wanted your feedback.

One of you mentioned smoking....our next door neighbor smoked on his deck ALL the time....it was really a bummer...not only smoked but talked on his cell phone a lot...and should I also mention they had 2 young kids that were really not well behaved. I would love a cruise that didn't allow smoking on the room balconies or just offered a non smoking area of balconies.

Again...this board is great...so nice to get advice from others with lots of experience. We all loved being on the cruise and I can see us doing this again....so that is why I would like to find out about all the options.

Celebrity does not allow smoking on balconies.

One thing though, inconsiderate fellow PAX can happen on any line. It is the luck of the draw for that.

Princess has more of a subdued, relaxed feel. Except for decor RCCL has much more similarities than difference from Carnival. We loved Princess without the kids but did not find it a good fit for a family vacation. I probably mind more than the kids. I like a more of an upbeat vibe, on going activities, deck parties. We are far from conservative. We spend a lot of time from all inclusive resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean, with occasional toplessness, shake your booty contest (won twice, honorable mention once), Tequila volley ball, the parent take the shot if the kid misses the ball. For same price, Princess would be my least favorite based on vibe. For someone on the opposite spectrum, that would be a good start.

You have a beautiful family. :-)

We enjoyed both the silly and the quiet, so we have enjoyed both Carnival and HAL, and would probably enjoy everything in between.

On our cruise this summer on the Pride, my husband and I went to the late night "adult" game called Quest. I'm not going to ruin it for you, but if you ever had a chance to go, I think you would like it. :-)

You have a beautiful family. :-)

We enjoyed both the silly and the quiet, so we have enjoyed both Carnival and HAL, and would probably enjoy everything in between.

On our cruise this summer on the Pride, my husband and I went to the late night "adult" game called Quest. I'm not going to ruin it for you, but if you ever had a chance to go, I think you would like it.

Thank you.

The last "adult" comedy show I went to was very PG-13 and politically correct. Pfff, I couldn't believe I stayed up late for something like that. I requested a refund but they reminded me the show was free. We enjoy all kinds of vacation experiences. As for being conservative, in the 20s I danced on top of the bar, in my 30s I danced in the bar, and now in my 40 and cherish the sweet memories of being in a bar:p Now I leave my feet planted on the ground and shake what I have let.

I used to worry about my son seeing the ladies on the beach at resorts. Finally, I decided its better if he sees what truly happens when nature takes its toll, not some air brushed, distorted, poster image. Most important any Paradeez cups cost about $6K, ooops maybe that lesson was for DH :D

Merry Christmas

Archived