Royal Carribean has locked up my checking account! Help!

vtgirl

I used a debit card on Explorer of the Seas last week and noticed they had been getting approvals all throughout the week for various amounts that we were charging. I got up this morning to realize that they put through the entire amount of our Sail and Sign bill plus the approvals are still on my account. So, they have frozen an extra 1700 dollars in my account. I called my bank and the lady was really nice and gave me the instructions to get them to fax a letter and release the holds. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Will Royal Carribean help me? I am FREAKING OUT.

It will depend on your bank. We have done this in the past and our bank was nice enough to call RC and we had a 3 way conversation. RC removed the holds once they confirmed what they were. From what people here have said in the past, not every bank does this the same way.

I sailed on Explorer last year and don't remember this happening. Carnival does that, but they put through the amounts of money they hold and don't hit you with the double whammy. I am literally sitting by the phone waiting until 8:00 when I can call them.

It is standard practice. My bank held the pending charges for 14 days and said I would have to get a letter from RCI, they would have to take the letter to blah blah blah... The pending charges were things that I had purchased on board. The actual seapass balance payment was already cleared.

In the end it was easier to just wait and let them clear. Sorry you're going through this and I hope it gets settled quickly for you!

How many days has it been since your cruise? The easiest thing is to sit back and wait. The holds are supposed to be released within 14 days. But I can imagine, right before the holidays, you don't want someone else holding onto your money for you. :(

I read so many horror stories about this that I started using a cash account onboard. But that doesn't help you now. Good luck and please let us know what happens.

I also don't use a debit card for S&S nor foreign countries. This is standard practice. Temporary holds on credit cards are much different than on my daily spending money account. I use a credit card for my S&S and foreign purchases cuz I've also had my credit card on hold for possible id theft when they saw purchases in a foreign area. I use cash in foreign areas and credit card for my S&S. They do release the hold but it can take up to 2 weeks per the cruise contract terms.

I used a debit card on Explorer of the Seas last week and noticed they had been getting approvals all throughout the week for various amounts that we were charging. I got up this morning to realize that they put through the entire amount of our Sail and Sign bill plus the approvals are still on my account. So, they have frozen an extra 1700 dollars in my account. I called my bank and the lady was really nice and gave me the instructions to get them to fax a letter and release the holds. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Will Royal Carribean help me? I am FREAKING OUT.

Yes, this happened to me also just recently on my Oasis of Seas cruise. I called and spoke with crown and anchor and they actually called my bank and did fax a letter to them and all holds were dropped. Done all in same day. I would suggest calling crown and anchor- corporate guest services. They were great and really helped me alot to get those holds released and money put back all in same day. Good Luck!

It really does not matter if you have a Debit Card or Credit Card. They put a hold for a certain amount on either one to be certain there is coverage for the estimated amount spent.

Yes it does matter, she's saying they've locked up the CASH in her checking account because it was a debit card. That is NOT the same thing as putting a hold on some of your available credit on a credit card:rolleyes:

Can someone explain the debit card cash hold situation in more detail for me? DH and I are cruising with my parents soon and I take care of all arrangements for them, including on-line check in and set sail pass. They now only have a debit card, although it is my understanding that it has quite a high limit. Will RCI put a hold on their entire account after the cruise? Would it be better to just have their SS pass be tied in to my credit card? How does the cash account on board work, and how do I set that up for them?

I appreciate any help you can give me - I don't want them to stress over anything. Thanks.

Can someone explain the debit card cash hold situation in more detail for me?

Throughout the cruise, the cruise line will put "holds" on money as the onboard account is used to make purchases. Just as an example, they might "hold" $200 at embarkation. As the passengers approach $200 in spending, they'll "hold" another $200. This continues until the end of the cruise. If you spend, for example, $1000 with your on-board account, they'll likely have "held" $1000 and run a charge for $1000 at the end of the cruise, meaning that they are actually blocking $2000 ($1000 in "holds" and a $1000 charge) from the checking account. The $1000 of "holds" will be released within about a week.

This is why it's always better to use a credit card (or cash, if you won't or can't use a credit card) for your on-board account, rather than a debit card.

I suggest your parents don't use a debit card. Either have them pay cash or you can have their charges applied to your credit card and they will have to pay you so you can pay your credit card. The way the cash deposit works is they deposit enough for the gratuities for the week, and maybe an extra $100 or so. They will notify you when you run out of funds and need to deposit more cash into your S&S acct.

Can someone explain the debit card cash hold situation in more detail for me? DH and I are cruising with my parents soon and I take care of all arrangements for them, including on-line check in and set sail pass. They now only have a debit card, although it is my understanding that it has quite a high limit. Will RCI put a hold on their entire account after the cruise? Would it be better to just have their SS pass be tied in to my credit card? How does the cash account on board work, and how do I set that up for them?

I appreciate any help you can give me - I don't want them to stress over anything. Thanks.

That confuses me a bit. I debit card is usually tied to a checking account or a statement savings account. The limit on the card is the cash available in the account that it is tied to. Am I missing something when it comes to debit cards?

As far as cash accounts, when you check in you can put a certain amount of cash into the seapass account which is very much like setting up a debit account. You draw off of that as you charge things on the ship. I don't believe that they cut off the account when the funds are used up but I could be wrong about that. On debarkation morning if you own RCI any money they will not let you off the ship until your account is settled. And if there is any money left in the account I believe you have to go to the guest relations desk to get the money.

And if there is any money left in the account I believe you have to go to the guest relations desk to get the money.

I suspect RCCL would handle this the same way as Carnival. On Carnival if you have cash left on your account they slide a check under your door the last night. You can cash the check at the purser's desk or at your bank back home.

I suspect RCCL would handle this the same way as Carnival. On Carnival if you have cash left on your account they slide a check under your door the last night. You can cash the check at the purser's desk or at your bank back home.

Wow, I had never heard of that. Thanks.

That confuses me a bit. I debit card is usually tied to a checking account or a statement savings account. The limit on the card is the cash available in the account that it is tied to. Am I missing something when it comes to debit cards?

The only thing I can think of regarding a debit card limit is they have cash plus an overdraft line of credit attached to the DDA.

As far as cash accounts, when you check in you can put a certain amount of cash into the seapass account which is very much like setting up a debit account. You draw off of that as you charge things on the ship. I don't believe that they cut off the account when the funds are used up but I could be wrong about that. On debarkation morning if you own RCI any money they will not let you off the ship until your account is settled. And if there is any money left in the account I believe you have to go to the guest relations desk to get the money.

Actually, most debit cards have a daily spend limit, which most cutomers are unaware of, try spending a penny over that limit and the charge will be declined, irrespective of the funds available in the account the card draws from. Got caught by that once myself!!

Actually, most debit cards have a daily spend limit, which most cutomers are unaware of, try spending a penny over that limit and the charge will be declined, irrespective of the funds available in the account the card draws from. Got caught by that once myself!!

That was another thought I had. There is also usually a difference in the limit when used as a debit card (using the pin number) and as a credit card (signing for purchase). The metrics used to calculate the limit are different at each bank but usually revolve around how it's used (usually lower on pin based transactions) and age and type of account (premium DDA accounts are usually higher). There's also a limit on the amount of cash that can be withdrawn via pin based transactions each day. It's all to limit the liability of the banks and Visa/Mastercard since they reimburse for fradualent activities (pin based transactions are more difficult for the customer to recover).

I too got caught be that and I have a fairly high daily limit. Another reason to use a credit card and get the float (no pun intended) on your money. Plus with the credit card you also have a degree of purchase protection.

I have never had a debit card. I was only thinking about getting one so when in a foreign country I can get money out of an ATM in local currency without having to pay the ridiculous interest rate on credit card cash advances.

That's the only way I use the debit card... to get money out of ATMs from my FMA account at home and abroad. And I try to make as many smaller purchases and food in cash to avoid the foreign transaction fees on the credit card.

Archived