Seeking previous clients of SPB tours in Berlin and St. Petersbug

Hi to you all ,we too have just booked our 2 day excursion with SPB to St Petersburgh i have read into their reviews a lot and was happy to go a head to book with them, i have emailed them with questions etc and have always had really quick responses back from them , i would well recommend this company we are looking forward to our trip, so well done SPB and keep up the great work:):)

• 4 months later...

I see that your Canadian, do we or don't we need to get a Visa in Russia :confused: SPB tours say that we don't need to get a Visa because we are on a Tour:rolleyes: . We will be on the Emerald Princess on June 2013.

SPB Tours will send you detailed messages about the payment options. We paid by US$ cash the morning of the second day. Our friends paid by VISA at the end of the first day, and SPB Tours charges 3% fee extra for credit cards. We also gave tips by US$ cash (10% to the guide and 5% to the driver) at the end of the second day, which we felt was well deserved. We immensely enjoyed the trip and highly recommend SPB. There is no other way to use your short time in St. Petersburg so efficiently and conveniently.

....... Our friends paid by VISA at the end of the first day, and SPB Tours charges 3% fee extra for credit cards.

:confused::confused: That is not what we were told.

When we asked, the reply we received is that SPB charges no extra fee for using a credit card.

To double check, I just took a look at SPB's website

http://spb-tours.com/st-petersburg/en/

Sure enough, right on the first page it clearly states

No Credit Card charges!

In addition, another box at the upper right says

No credit card fees!

The price you see

is the price you pay!

Did your friends go recently?

Maybe the policy has changed since they were there.

But anyone who has questions can email Viktoria at

vika@spb-tours.com

She is very accommodating and replies quickly.

If you have any questions or concerns, she will send you a personalized reply instead of just stock answers.

As previously pointed out if you use a credit card that does not charge a fee for foreign currency conversion and gives you cash back, your net cost ends up being less than if you pay cash.

Besides, you gain the convenience of not needing to be bothered with exchanging currency or carrying around large amounts of cash.

An additional benefit is having the protection of the credit card company behind you in case of a problem or dispute.

Edited by varoo

:confused::confused:

Did your friends go recently?

Maybe the policy has changed since they were there.

I believe that's the case.

Ditto Alla Tours, who have dropped credit card charges within the past 12 months.

JB :)

• 1 year later...

we had never used CC before so what an experience.Thankyou all.

The information we received was so helpfull.

We sailed on the Holland America line through Northern Europe

and the Baltics.

Always being cautious travellers our land tours were usually

booked through the ship tours office,but this time it was going to

be different,we had heard about SPB TOURS in St.Petersburg.We

worried about our passport information privacy,we worried about

arriving in St.Petersburg and not being allowed off the ship because

we had not organised a visa while in Australia,and we just worried.

What a waste of worry.

Before departing Australia all required information had been sorted.

After passing through customs,which went smoothly because of

SPB Tours paperwork we were directed to our tour guide and our

awaiting bus.

The tour guide was the most informed and helpful guide we have

ever encountered.All questions were answered and more.In the 2

days we toured St.Petersburg there was never a dull moment.

And remembering the bus,it was very clean and the driver very

experienced.Thank You SPD TOURS we would recommend you to

everyone.5 stars.

We just returned from the Baltic cruise on the Norwegian Star. We used SPB tours in Berlin and St. Petersburg. They were wonderful! We found them as soon as we left the ship. Very easy. Our tour guides in both ports were very professional, friendly, very knowledgeable and spoke clear English. We were very happy we went with SPB. Well worth it.

For Berlin, I would suggest you request Heather to be your guide. Out of all of the tours I have done throughout the years in so many places, she stands out. She is the total goods when it comes to knowledge, passion, and communication skills. It goes beyond her masters degree in German studies. I am usually pretty cynical, but count me as a fan. She was also able to convey the horror of the Nzi era and the psyche of today's Germany. Well done!!

High marks in St Petersburg as well. We did a private group of eight and eliminated one of their stops and added Grand Choral Synagogue and some shopping. We also used their driver service at night to go to a nice restaurant in town.

For Berlin, I would suggest you request Heather to be your guide. Out of all of the tours I have done throughout the years in so many places, she stands out. She is the total goods when it comes to knowledge, passion, and communication skills. It goes beyond her masters degree in German studies. I am usually pretty cynical, but count me as a fan. She was also able to convey the horror of the Nzi era and the psyche of today's Germany. Well done!!

We've booked with SPB Tours for our Baltic cruise next May/June, we're also considering the various options for Warnemunde/Berlin. Which tour did you do in Berlin, how many were you, the full van of 16? Would appreciate your input, we're still debating the pros and cons of the 6 hour drive to Berlin and back. Thanks:)

We've booked with SPB Tours for our Baltic cruise next May/June, we're also considering the various options for Warnemunde/Berlin. Which tour did you do in Berlin, how many were you, the full van of 16? Would appreciate your input, we're still debating the pros and cons of the 6 hour drive to Berlin and back. Thanks:)

The drive is worth it if you don't think you have Germany on your vacation list in the next few years. We didn't do a private tour in Berlin. We did one with 24 people. It was the Classic Berlin tour. Heather took time to answer everyone's questions. I doubt I will return to Germany, but for good and bad history, Berlin is an important city and I have no regrets. The time on the bus is actually relaxing and down time is okay on this itinerary. Bus was modern and comfortable.

The drive is worth it if you don't think you have Germany on your vacation list in the next few years. We didn't do a private tour in Berlin. We did one with 24 people. It was the Classic Berlin tour. Heather took time to answer everyone's questions. I doubt I will return to Germany, but for good and bad history, Berlin is an important city and I have no regrets. The time on the bus is actually relaxing and down time is okay on this itinerary. Bus was modern and comfortable.

Thanks, we've been to Berlin some years back but would love to go back. Our only concern is the long drive up and down, guess we'll play it by the ear and see how we fee closer to the date:)

Still in copenhagen from our cruise. Absolutely wonderful. Buy russian souvenirs in Estonia, use SPB tours. Best reviews. Keep all receipts. When at airport in copenhagen to go back, turn in receipts & get refund of 25% back for sales taxes paid. Use ships shuttle to airport or to copenhagen town centre. If staying in town, use cab to airport. $60. Cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 6 months later...

Diana Ljung conducted the best tour we have ever taken. She knew her material inside out and upside down... even to the point of knowing where bathrooms were that were out of the way of the crowds. Speaking of crowds, the people from our cruise who took tours scheduled by our ship complained of standing in line for two hours or more before even getting into Catherine's palace and the Hermitage. On the other hand, Diana took us in another entrance at Catherine's palace and we had no wait whatsoever. At the Hermitage, we had early entrance and again avoided crowds. Also, SPB is much less expensive that the RCI ship tours. We highly recommend SPB!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

Last year I came to St-Petersburg with friends and we booked a private tour from SPB TOURS. This time my children are travelling on Eurodam, 12-13 may they arrive to Russia. And I remembered the name of our guide in Russia who we liked so much. Her name was Elena. She was an official art expert in the Hermitage Museum and she was the best guide I ve ever met.

Edited by flowerinacloud

• 2 months later...

We are a family of 4 arriving on MSC Sinfonia on 6th Aug in St Petersburg. We are trying to book a group tour with SPB Tours as they seem have great reviews. Anyone else looking to join this group tour?

We weren't able to request with SPB but had booked really early which may have been why we lucked out and had Elena. She was a marvel, really, really good.

Haven't heard of anyone who had a poor guide. They seem to have excellent quality control, questionnaires at end of tour and follow up emails.

As we were late enquiring and no-one else from our ship tried to book we were unable to book a group tour with SPB for Aug, only a private tour which was too pricey for the 4 of us. We have now booked with Alla Tours and hoping this will be a great tour of St Petersburg!

• 1 month later...
Thanks for that!! We are using SPB in Berlin and St. Petersburg, Sept 2015, glad to hear you had a great time. Do you remember if they stop at an ATM or do you suggest we have Rubles ahead of time to pay the tips?

Thanks!!

We went with Alla tours and paid for the tour and the tip in US Dollars. These had to be pristine with no marks or tears for their bank to accept. The exchange rate with Roubles does fluctuate and I think they prefer Foreign currency. I'm sure you will have an amazing time :)

Edited by choccy14