Best staff goes to newest ships?

GeorgeL

I wonder if it is true that the very best wait (and other) staff on any ship gets transferred to the newest ship(s) in the Celebrity fleet. Anyone know if that's the current policy?

If that's indeed the case, it almost doesn't seem fair to passengers for the most experienced staff to be taken away from other ships in order to staff new ones.

On our Equinox cruise last October we saw numerous friends and crew from previous ships. In fact as we boarded we saw a bartender we met on the Constellation. During the cruise we met many people from the Constellation. Including a bar manager, bartender, plus our old waiter and old cabin steward. They all told me they had been asked to join the Equinox. My understanding is that they want experienced people to help launch a new ship.

It is not necessarily 'the best staff', but yes, nothing is more demanding than launching a brand new ship, so the launch team always consists of experienced Celebrity staff and officers, throughout all departments. They also prefer using staff that has launched a ship before.

Best Regards,

Floris

One of the old timer crew members on our recent Equinox cruise explained that the Solstice class ship job slots were opportunities to jump up the ladder. Harder work getting the new ship going but more rewards for the crew. Hence better service. Plus Celebrity picks experienced people in key positions to assure successful launch so there is a natural trend towards the best people.

Can't blame the crew for trying to improve their life.

They have a group of people who tend to move to the new ship. For example: The Weir brothers opened the Solstice, then opened the Equinox and are now ready to open the Eclipse. Several staff I met on recent Equinox followed the same path. I was told aton an early Solstice sailing that X made a list of the top 10% of staff from each department and used that list to create the original opening list.

They have a group of people who tend to move to the new ship. For example: The Weir brothers opened the Solstice, then opened the Equinox and are now ready to open the Eclipse. Several staff I met on recent Equinox followed the same path. I was told aton an early Solstice sailing that X made a list of the top 10% of staff from each department and used that list to create the original opening list.

Hmm, so the top ten (most experienced and the best) went to the new ship. I wonder if this is considered a promotion in status as well as money. Also, if the crew member declines (and prefers to stay on the old ship) does that pretty much nix his/her future career advancement opportunities or at least delay them.

Those who are opening a new ship universally told me that they were honored to have been asked even though the work was difficult. The experienced staff were charged with training the new employees. For some, being recognized by management for their efforts was more important than money. Glad that pride in doing a good job is still alive at X.

One of the old timer crew members on our recent Equinox cruise explained that the Solstice class ship job slots were opportunities to jump up the ladder. Harder work getting the new ship going but more rewards for the crew. Hence better service. Plus Celebrity picks experienced people in key positions to assure successful launch so there is a natural trend towards the best people.

Can't blame the crew for trying to improve their life.

Winner......

Archived