New Security for airlines

robdyn

I'm surprised after the incidents the past few days nobody has any concerns to share or is it just a no-no to discuss. We leave Friday from Toronto and things are quite different. No carry-on luggage, just a purse or diaper bag etc. nothing on wheels can go on the planes (must be checked with luggage). What are the new restrictions from some of the American cities.

Any thoughts?:(

I'm surprised after the incidents the past few days nobody has any concerns to share or is it just a no-no to discuss. We leave Friday from Toronto and things are quite different. No carry-on luggage, just a purse or diaper bag etc. nothing on wheels can go on the planes (must be checked with luggage). What are the new restrictions from some of the American cities.

Any thoughts?:(

I am Canadian and my father is as we speak flying back from Florida.. altho he is only travelling with a back pack as a carry on that is fine.. I wish they would limit the carry ons for everyone.. I am fed up seeing luggage the size I check being carried on the plane and trying to be stuffed in the over head bins.. bring it on.. sorry people if you have to pay for checked baggage LIMIT IT.. like the rest of us try to do:D

They've just relaxed some of the "knee-jerk" regulations they put in force on Christmas....now, on some flights, folks aren't being required to sit still with their hands in full sight...

Why don't they just put us all to sleep for the entire trip?

So far domestic air travel in the United States has not been effected by new security protocols. International travel has had what I consider draconian policies put in place. As I understand it carry-on luggage has been dramatically restricted. Passengers will be required to remain in their seats during the last hour of flights. Passengers will not be allowed to have anything in their laps, blankets, carry-ons, etc during this time. The use of electronic devices and maps is also prohibited during the last hour.

I think these restrictions are silly and will probably not remain in force for very long. The fault in the Christmas day incident seems clear at this point, bureaucratic incompetence. Unfortunately such incompetence seems to be something Americans must learn to live with. :(

Here is a thread that started Dec.26/09

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1108769&highlight=

Plus these news clips about a year ago on the airport scanners. One is already in place in BC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8gFyyvfxLY

And! not only in Canada!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EleJdyLsSHo&NR=1

They've just relaxed some of the "knee-jerk" regulations they put in force on Christmas....now, on some flights, folks aren't being required to sit still with their hands in full sight...

Why don't they just put us all to sleep for the entire trip?

LOL :D....My wife suggested the passengers should just be shackled hand and foot in their seats after boarding and released after arrival. It's all to keep us same don't cha know. ;)

As good intentioned Airport Security has for these new rules, I now have very little desire to fly to the United States these days. I would take an extra couple of days and drive to a port.

I also heard on Cable Pulse last night that some airlines may even impose a rule that you can't have anything on your lap (including a pillow) one hour before the plane lands.

Its bad enough that we still have to take off our shoes at the airport. Haven't the airports come up with some scanner to search our shoes yet? The liquid thing in a ziploc bag is another imposition. The list goes on and on.

Security is good intentioned in trying to keep passengers safe, but these days by the time you go through airport security, I could have driven to Florida quicker. The drive from Toronto would be cheaper too!

I am Canadian and my father is as we speak flying back from Florida.. altho he is only travelling with a back pack as a carry on that is fine.. I wish they would limit the carry ons for everyone.. I am fed up seeing luggage the size I check being carried on the plane and trying to be stuffed in the over head bins.. bring it on.. sorry people if you have to pay for checked baggage LIMIT IT.. like the rest of us try to do:D

There has always been a limit on carry ons........if it fits thru the x-ray machines it can be carried on period..........

I think all countries.. should just suck it up and get the XRAY machines that you walk thru.. instead of complaining about how much they cost.. JUST DO IT!!! Had they done it back on 911.. I don't think we would be having this problem again... ENOUGH POLITICS... move on and spend the money where it belongs.. :(

There has always been a limit on carry ons........if it fits thru the x-ray machines it can be carried on period..........

Ya and some of those bags I see that make it on.. do NOT fit in the little do flicky thingy in front of the check in counter.. CAll me stupid.. but they do not ..and make it onboard:rolleyes:

I'll be flying out of YYZ in 2 weeks and have been watching the restrictions change by the minute it seems. I heard yesterday that they may start to relax them and then this morning I wake up to no carry on luggage (with a few tiny exceptions). :eek:

Although, I personally could get by holding my money and my passport I'm sadly travelling with my DD who is 8 years old and has autism to boot. She may or may not understand what is happening if I have to pack her beloved stuffed toy and video game!

I really am trying hard not to fret over something I have no control over especially for the next 16 days. I do, however, wish that driving was an option now ... and that says a lot for this instant gratification person :)

Miriam

I love all these new/proposed guidelines that prevent nothing. This guy had the explosives in his underwear. None of these guidelines would have helped. Security has to be done on the ground. This guy paid in cash, checked no bags, was on a watch list and his father made a call to authorities that his son might try something. All of these things are red flags, this guy should have been thoroughly searched several times but wasnt.

Making sure the explosives dont get on the planein the first place should be the key, not useless guidelines that limit passengers actions once aboard a plane, those are far too easy to work around. I read where Air canada was not allowing passengers to move from seats for the last hour of a flight. How useless is that? You could just blow the plane up earlier!!!

I'll be flying out of YYZ in 2 weeks and have been watching the restrictions change by the minute it seems. I heard yesterday that they may start to relax them and then this morning I wake up to no carry on luggage (with a few tiny exceptions). :eek:

Although, I personally could get by holding my money and my passport I'm sadly travelling with my DD who is 8 years old and has autism to boot. She may or may not understand what is happening if I have to pack her beloved stuffed toy and video game!

I really am trying hard not to fret over something I have no control over especially for the next 16 days. I do, however, wish that driving was an option now ... and that says a lot for this instant gratification person :)

Miriam

Be safe Kerry! :p

this guy should have been thoroughly searched several times but wasnt. !!!

They are too busy searching grandmotherly types, so they dont discriminate and look like they are profiling to be politically correct.

They pulled me out of a line just as they were boarding one plane... yea sure, how many blond older females are terrorists types. Everyone got one except for me and stowed their carry ons while I had to sit on the floor (no chairs) to put my sneakers back on.

Sneakers would be so easy to hide explosives in too, ya know.

Hears my 2 cents they do have the full body x-ray , overlook the cost ,then you have the rightist groups saying invasion of privacy. Then if you single out someone and make a mistake they fear then saying ethnic profiling, discrimination. It seems no matter what they do it’s a no win situation . I say let then do whatever it take so we can be safe , if you have nothing to hide what’s the problem but a little inconvenienced and have some patience .

Here's what I'm wondering...:confused: with all of the new restrictions (not being allowed out of your seat, etc.) how will the passengers be able to stop a terrorist from setting off his underpants if they are not allowed out of their seats?

If those rules had been in place on Christmas Day I believe that the terrorist (not suspect) would have succeeded in killing a large amount of people.

Jane Napolitano says the system worked...:mad: no, the passengers worked!

We will not be taken by surprise again and that is one of our greatest defenses against those who wish to attack us.

Also EL AL profiles people, so why cant we?? They are the safest airline in the world. I wish all airlines would adoubt there policies.

The airlines in the US don't make the rules...the government does, and for political reasons "profiling" is a dirty word to many in our government.

Archived