Wine Packages???

This is the first sailing that I am thinking about signing up for one of the wine packages. I sail Jan 30 and when I go on line to the website, it says to early to book the package and doesn't really go into much detail other than what bottles are available. Has anyone booked this package? How many bottles does it include? Do we have to drink the wine in MDR or can we get it to our cabin or Windjammer if we eat up there one or two nights? What is the price for the package. I am actually looking at the gold package and just want to know if it is worth the package or just buy 1 -2 bottles once on board. Thanks for any info & Happy New Year.

Tina

actually the platinum, 7 bottle package was the best value when you averaged the cost per bottle.

it's easy to book this on the ship..

you can get the wine in the WJ, but i think the server will have to go get it from the cellar master...

to get it for your cabin, you need to order it/pick it up from your server/assistant

you can get 5, 7 or i think 12 bottle packages..there are gold, platinum and diamond levels...there isn't much difference between plat and diamond that's why we used to stick with the 7 night plat. (this will make sense when you see the list!)

we aren't picky and find the wines perfectly acceptable...others here think they are bad! to each their own.

the danzante pinot grigio is very good, and a good savings (when you take the average price per bottle and compare it to the wine list price) as is the faustino rioja and the korbel.

there was an analysis done a while back. i am not sure if the prices are the same but here is the link....it will give you an idea.

we didn't get a package on our b2b as mom has to watch her adult beverage intake! we got a few bottles....

enjoy!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=805524&highlight=wine+package+analysis

We always get the Gold 5 bottle for a 7 night cruise. It is $129.95 including gratuity. The Danzante Pinot Grigio and the Korbel is in this package. My husband usually gets the Stone Cellar Cab with this package. You can get your wine wherever you are dining. You just show your Seapass card which will have a wine pkg. sticker on it. And you can take back to your cabin any bottle that you don't finish, or the dining room will keep it for the next night.

As others have stated, they are very easy to purchase when you first get on the ship. That's usually what we do.

I don't drink, but DH usually gets this package since we travel with friends. On our cruise in Feb, we didn't use all the bottles because another couple also got a package and we ended up bringing home 2 unopened bottles with us.

That was a 12 night cruise, so they each got the 7 night platinum. Most 7 night cruises, DH gets the 5 night platinum. He finds a great selection of wine.

I don't remember the specific ones, but there is a pinot grigio, faustino and shiraz that he liked. Only once did a bottle come that didn't taste quite right and we contacted the Maitre' D and he corrected right away with a new bottle of something different. No problems.

If we travel just the 2 of us, then he'll just buy a bottle or 2 during the cruise. As another poster said, they will store the wine for another night.

Enjoy!

I had the gold package and it was fine. The first two bottles I had the Pinot Grigio the next 3 I had the Sauvignon Blanc. I really preferred the Sauvignon Blanc. It was nice to have it prepaid so I didn't have to put that money aside when I boarded.

Candi

Thanks so much guys..... I think I just might buy the one or two bottles since we will not drink 5 bottles on a 5 night cruise!!!!!! And for $130.....the balance from buying 1-2 bottles I will try my luck at Lady Luck!! :):)

Thanks again for getting back so soon.

TM

We get a Platinum 7 bottle for a 14 day cruise and a Platinum 5 bottle for a 7 day cruise and one of those bottles goes back to the cabin. We especially like the Chilean merlot on the Platinum package.

We are going on a 5 day in April and will probably order by the bottle as we don't drink a bottle a day.

I've pre ordered the wine and dine package on the internet and I've bought it on the ship.

It's rather easy to buy on the ship so the only reason I can think of to pre-order it is to split up your costs so that everything doesn't hit your credit card at the same time.

The wine packages have not been loaded yet for upcoming cruises, but the website says you save '25% off the list price' by buying the package online - which you can't do as RCI haven't loaded the packages.....question is are the packages exactly the same price on board?

The price is the same no matter when and where you purchase the wine package. They may put the 15% service charge on at different times, but in the end the price is identical. Supposedly for 2010 they are changing the mix or the different levels of the packaging. All in all it is a good deal and there are enough decent wines in the grouping. True wine fanatics might not be happy with the selections, but for most it will be fine and a good value.

Archived