Holy cow, I could be in a fix...

Haleiwa Girl

Hi everyone......my sister JUST surprised me with a Christmas present of a cruise to Mexico leaving 1/9/09...I am excited but STRESSED......like everyone (almost everyone) I have gained 7 pounds over the holidays and my cocktail dresses are a tiny bit tight. Would have passed on the 3rd truffle IF I had known earlier! So, I guess in one week I am going to have to pull together a couple formal outfits.....I have read and read and the advice is good I have found but not detailed enough. So, would a kindhearted women help me out. I am 30ish..so I don't have alot of sequinned jacket outfits....can I wear a pair o black pants and then I need a "fufu" top? Pictures would help if you have any.....the pictures I have seen on my searches look like prom wear or wedding wear. thank you sooooooo much! I live in Hawaii, so "sun dress" type of dress I have alot!!

So, would a kindhearted women help me out. I am 30ish..so I don't have alot of sequinned jacket outfits....can I wear a pair o black pants and then I need a "fufu" top? Pictures would help if you have any.....the pictures I have seen on my searches look like prom wear or wedding wear. thank you sooooooo much! I live in Hawaii, so "sun dress" type of dress I have alot!!

Think of going to a New Years Eve party or an evening cocktail party. It really doesn't have to be too formal, just a step up from sun dresses. Sun dresses are great for smart casual.

Don't stress over this and don't spend a lot of money. If you have black pants, just find a dressy top to go with it or a black dressy top.

Some people go all out and a lot of people wear something very nice. Due to packing restrictions - I often wear the same formal clothes on both days.

If you choose to not dress formally, you can dine at the buffet.

Welcome to CC and enjoy your cruise!

If you have black pants or leggings, just top it with a nice blouse and some jewelry. Or if you have a long skirt, same thing.

I've worn cocktail length dresses on formal night. Maybe if you have a few hours, you can go to your local mall. There are great sales going on right now (just picked up a couple of skinny pants on a 2-for-1 special for my daughter yesterday).

What a fabulous present!! Would your sister like to adopt me?

I take a long black skirt for formal evenings with a couple of glitzy, fancy tops and that works well. Same with the black trousers and variety of tops for casual evenings.

Have a wonderful time

You can adopt me too! I already have 3 sisters but I can't even get them to join me on a cruise much less book one as a present! Relax and enjoy, whatever you decide I'm sure you will look fine....and if it helps, I gained weight over the holiday's as well. You've got a week, you can probably drop a couple of those pounds easy. Drink lots of water, fresh fruits, veggies and exercise everyday! The exercise will also help with the stress:eek:.

Happy Sailing!

Its pretty easy here to go to a second hand shop, consignment shop , whatever you call them where you live. I can find nice stuff is some of them. Easy to get formal type outfits for under 30 dollars.

Yes, I'm sure you have seen sequins galore...and there are also nice black dress pants with a dressy top as well.

A cruise is one of those rare options that you can dress like you are going to the Oscars! You can get as sequined up (?) as you can or wear a nice pair of black pants.

Don't worry about it...you will be fine. I don't know about you, but 7 lbs. on my frame doesn't even change the size of my clothes....truly. I think someone that knows you wouldn't even be able to tell that you gained 7 lbs. That is really nothing...but I know how you feel.

Get a nice sparkly top if you wish and have a great time!

I'm guessing you mean 2010 and not 2009 (that is something we are all going to have to get used to typing!!!!).

Dawn

I wear black pants, a matching black shell and cover it up with different colored shawls. Two of them I purchased at the Princess $10 sale that is held toward the end of the cruise but in time for last formal night. Made 3 spearate outfits out of that combo on Hawaiian cruise that has 3 formal nights. Don't stress! :p

Great present! Lucky you! Victoria's Secret has an on line clothing sale and White House Black Market has both in-store/online clothing sale - both very age appropriate for you - a couple of tops could compliment any black/brown/white pants that you already have...or even one top...so what if you wear it twice....

I have given up my sequins because of packing weight -- they take too much room. I have a collection of wispy nylonish jackets/tops that go over one nice pair of black pants, a short sleeveless dress (dress barn), and a short sleeve almost long sweater dress with semi turtle neck collar. Mix and match and all goes with black skeetchers (yes sneakers) cross strap shoes that allow me to walk the big ships without killing my poor sore feet. Don't consult the mirror so much consult your inner self.

Are you neat, clean, in the mood for fun and more interested in other people and places than in your own prideful self? ALSO the mantra -- I will never see these folks again:D

Try Cruise Fashion and Beauty forum on Cruise Critic. Always something going on and lots of eyes for finding good sales for the sail.

EAT AWAY and don't worry about fitting into any clothes... :cool:

If you were given passage on a 1/09/09 cruise it sailed over 11 months ago without you!!! :eek:

Just kidding, I imagine you really meant 1/9/10. Enjoy the gift!

Archived