Is a balcony cabin worth the extra $$$ ?

footzz

I hate to say it but "It depends". It depends on how important being close to the water is to you. For me, it is not important at all. I like the darkness of the inside cabins. Perfectly happy to just be on the ship.

DW, on the hand, loves to be close to the water and enjoys a balcony. We compromise and switch off every other cruise.

I'm up next in the rotation so it's an inside on the NCL Pearl this Feb.:cool:

I hate to say it but "It depends". It depends on how important being close to the water is to you. For me, it is not important at all. I like the darkness of the inside cabins. Perfectly happy to just be on the ship.

DW, on the hand, loves to be close to the water and enjoys a balcony. We compromise and switch off every other cruise.

I'm up next in the rotation so it's an inside on the NCL Pearl this Feb.:cool:

We have had inside, promenade, oceanview, balcony and concierge class cabins and never a bad cruise! over 40 and still counting........balcony was a must for Alaska and Australia/New Zealand cruises. We could not enjoy our balcony on the Mexican Riviera cruise(too cold and windy) Some of the Mediterranean cruises are so port intensive, we are barely in our cabin, just to shower and sleep, so wouldn't be cost effective to do a balcony. Also, Caribbean cruises, we are out of the cabin early to get to the beach in ports, and then back late to shower and ready for dinner and shows. If money was no object, I would opt for a balcony, but depends on difference in prices if I am watching dollars.....you can do alot of nice excursions, have specialty dining or just save and buy another inside cabin on another cruise! The beds are the same, the showers the same, the services the same.........Like someone else said, those inside cabins are very dark, and sleep is wonderful in them! We had eight cruises last year, most in inside cabins(one ov upgrade, one promenade), and loved them all!

We have had inside, promenade, oceanview, balcony and concierge class cabins and never a bad cruise! over 40 and still counting........balcony was a must for Alaska and Australia/New Zealand cruises. We could not enjoy our balcony on the Mexican Riviera cruise(too cold and windy) Some of the Mediterranean cruises are so port intensive, we are barely in our cabin, just to shower and sleep, so wouldn't be cost effective to do a balcony. Also, Caribbean cruises, we are out of the cabin early to get to the beach in ports, and then back late to shower and ready for dinner and shows. If money was no object, I would opt for a balcony, but depends on difference in prices if I am watching dollars.....you can do alot of nice excursions, have specialty dining or just save and buy another inside cabin on another cruise! The beds are the same, the showers the same, the services the same.........Like someone else said, those inside cabins are very dark, and sleep is wonderful in them! We had eight cruises last year, most in inside cabins(one ov upgrade, one promenade), and loved them all!

I wish I had the problem regarding a balcony. MY GF and I are looking into a cruise in May and we hve not cruise with out a butler and consiqure. The first cruise we were on was "just" a balcony then we had a butler and consiqure (sp) including one time in the owner's suite and we hav not looked back. This nect cruise we are going with friends and thought that we would all get a balcony but the GF is not changing her mind

It amuses me to no end to hear people compare a balcony to a Lexus, or say they prefer quality over quantity (LOL), and act as if a balcony is at the top of the cruising chain.:rolleyes: I always wondered how those who sail in higher up cabins felt about balconies. Now I know.....wish I had your dilemma. ;) Have a fantastic time in your OS!

To the OP - go with what you find is in your best interest. Only you and your SO can truly decide if it is worth the extra expense. For us, the itinerary dictates what type of cabin we get. If it is a scenic cruise and you plan on spending a significant amount of time in your cabin, you will definitely want a balcony at a minimum. If you have a port-intensive itinerary with cooler weather, I say go with what is comfortable. Good luck whatever you decide.

I wish I had the problem regarding a balcony. MY GF and I are looking into a cruise in May and we hve not cruise with out a butler and consiqure. The first cruise we were on was "just" a balcony then we had a butler and consiqure (sp) including one time in the owner's suite and we hav not looked back. This nect cruise we are going with friends and thought that we would all get a balcony but the GF is not changing her mind

It amuses me to no end to hear people compare a balcony to a Lexus, or say they prefer quality over quantity (LOL), and act as if a balcony is at the top of the cruising chain.:rolleyes: I always wondered how those who sail in higher up cabins felt about balconies. Now I know.....wish I had your dilemma. ;) Have a fantastic time in your OS!

To the OP - go with what you find is in your best interest. Only you and your SO can truly decide if it is worth the extra expense. For us, the itinerary dictates what type of cabin we get. If it is a scenic cruise and you plan on spending a significant amount of time in your cabin, you will definitely want a balcony at a minimum. If you have a port-intensive itinerary with cooler weather, I say go with what is comfortable. Good luck whatever you decide.

I tend to agree with the $100 price point Int/OV/Balcony. Any more than that isn't worth it to me. Unfortunately, money can become an issue for us. I was looking at a cruise for the fall and the balcony was more than twice the interior and my mind immediately said, "that's another cruise". So, just for me, sometimes I'll take the quantity ;)

I also agree that if a cruise is port intensive, interiors are great for the rest. But, I have been convinced that a balcony is necessary for Alaska and that's why we haven't been yet. It's definitely in the future and I definitely want an aft balcony so I don't miss anything (and so I can run inside to warm up frequently).

I tend to agree with the $100 price point Int/OV/Balcony. Any more than that isn't worth it to me. Unfortunately, money can become an issue for us. I was looking at a cruise for the fall and the balcony was more than twice the interior and my mind immediately said, "that's another cruise". So, just for me, sometimes I'll take the quantity ;)

I also agree that if a cruise is port intensive, interiors are great for the rest. But, I have been convinced that a balcony is necessary for Alaska and that's why we haven't been yet. It's definitely in the future and I definitely want an aft balcony so I don't miss anything (and so I can run inside to warm up frequently).

Is a Rolls Royce worth the extra $$$ ?

Is a Business Class airplane seat worth the extra $$$ ?

Is a Suite in a Hotel worth the extra $$$ ?

Is a 50 yard line seat at the Superbowl worth the extra $$$ ?

Is a diamond ring worth the extra $$$ ?

Is a house in Beverly Hills worth the extra $$$ ?

You can ask these questions of 100 people, and receive hundreds of different answers that are completely worthless to you.

It doesn`t matter if others think them worth the money.

It only matters if YOU think them worth the money.

You can ask these questions of 100 people, and receive hundreds of different answers that are completely worthless to you.

Always had a balcony and loved having the door open and sleeping to the sound of the waves. Only draw back we noticed on the last cruise was that there were alot of smokers around us which drifted into our room, so we had to keep the door shut....bummer.

I think it totally depends on your prefernces --what *you* plan to do on a cruise, and this may change, depending on what kind of cruise you plan to take.

If you stay on the go a lot, and the pretty much the only activity your room sees is sleeping or making whoopie, then an inside is the way to go. :-) Use your money elsewhere.

I do love a balcony, and would have one every time, (don't always GET it, but....) because I spend a lot of time in the room. I put my music on, I read, I watch the water go by.

That said, we will be sailing on the Prinsendam next summer, with an oceanview, not a balcony. The trip is port intensive, so most of the time we will be away during the day. I'd still love having a balcony, but it doesn't make sense to spend a couple of thousand dollars on it.

Last summer on the Pride, we had an aft wrap. We had four sea days, and I only left the ship at one port (Half Moon Cay). I loved, loved, loved staying in my cabin, walking out and watching the wake.

Our first cruise five years ago was Mexican Riviera in March and we had a balcony. It really wasn't warm enough to sit out and enjoy it. This past August we had an oceanview in Alaska and didn't miss the balcony. Leaving Wed for 15 night Panama Canal and don't have a balcony either - I'd rather spend the extra money on excursions but I guess everyone is different.

The balcony is as much a part of my cruise enjoyment as the dining room, the ports and activities and I'd never cruise without one.

I used to book the cheapest inside cabin available. Being a solo traveler, cost was an important issue what with that pesky single supplement.

Then, about 8 years ago, I was upgraded to a balcony and never looked back. Simply can't imagine not having one...and I spend a lot of time out there day and night. It's my refuge from the noise and activity onboard when it becomes a bit too much....and where I enjoy morning coffee and croissant and evenings looking at the stars.

I have never cruised with a balcony, but have no doubt I'd love it. However, I would have to be an el-cheapo to the max in all other respects on the cruise to afford it. So, I could cruise in a balcony and not do any excursions, not drink, not do specialty restaurants, etc. OR I could get the cheaper room and enjoy all those other aspects of cruising. At this point in my life, I'm happier spending my dollars on the other things. Opinion subject to change when I'm older and/or have more disposable income!

Our first cruise was an inside cabin; next two cruises were outside cabins with windows; then, we splurged and treated ourselves to a balcony cabin and there was no going back. OK, there is one exception, when we travel on shorter trips of 4 days or less, sometimes it’s just not worth the extra money.

There is no denying that the cabin takes on a whole different dimension with that added outdoor space but is it really worth the added expense? What do you think?

I have never booked a balcony cabin for the very reason you mention. I'm afraid of not being able to settle for an ocean view again. After ocean view, an inside cabin is almost torture! I LOVE starting every day looking out at the ocean before I even roll out of bed. What a way to start the day! I'm sure the balcony would spoil me even more!!

Is it worth the money? It depends on how much money you have to spend. To me, the window is worth the money. The balcony is not. If I had more to spend, I might think differently. But at this point, I'm still happy with my window and not willing to sacrifice shore excursions or the lenghth of my cruise in order to afford the balcony.

Someday...I hope...but until then, I'll just keep gazing out the window!!

Always had a balcony and loved having the door open and sleeping to the sound of the waves. Only draw back we noticed on the last cruise was that there were alot of smokers around us which drifted into our room, so we had to keep the door shut....bummer.

Actually the bummer is you are NOT supposed to sleep with door open. It can ruin the ac levels, not just in your cabin, but those near you. So thanks to the smokers you are not wrecking the ac.

Good points,, personally the only thing on that list that is "worth it" to me is flying business class on flights over 8-10 hours. The rest seems stupid waste of money to me. So to each his/her own.

Archived