Is a balcony cabin worth the extra $$$ ?

footzz

One thing ,, I would not book a far forward balcony if I had a choice between it and a midship ov.. I just find getting seasick is not worth the views. the only time we ever had a real issue with our cabin was when we got "upgraded" to a far forward one on the Grand,, L235 I think. Too bouncy for me.

The only right answer to your question is what ever works best for you.

However, there is one scenario where I would definitely want to have a balcony cabin. In the event I was to be quarantined, it would be unbearable for me to be confined to an inside cabin for several days.

We've cruised inside, ocean view, balcony and a couple jr. suites. It was a real drag going back to an ov after a balcony, I felt like I couldn't breathe in there. Inside...out of the question for us, the last time we cruised inside (on QM2 as the prices are so much higher than any other mainstream line) and it was nice, but we missed the ocean so much on that trip.

On our last cruise, the very best evening we had was in our robes on the balcony with a glass of wine, there were so many stars out that night it was absolute heaven. No one else was anywhere to be found on their balconies around us, it was somewhat cool so I doubt very many people were outside up on deck to see the show.

Coffee in the morning, wine in the evening, read a book out there in the afternoon, our vote is for balcony!

You need to decided what is most important to you. Our 1st 3 cruises were ov and we were very happy. Decided to splurge on the next and get a balcony, 5 cruises later and we have never looked backed. We spend alot of time on the balcony, good or bad weather. We decided cruising with the balcony was worth it to us, we don't drink or gamble, we do alot of research on ports and don't do ship shore excursions unless we absolutely have to, so we're not spending the extras $$'s.

A balcony, to me, is what a cruise is all about. Fresh air, a quiet place to just kick back and enjoy the Sun during the day and the stars at night.

To see the ocean, and feel the warmth during the day, and the activity while in port from the sanctity of your own space is not something I would want to give up for, in the great scheme of things, the relatively small difference in price to an inside cabin.

The bottom line is....a balcony is worth the extra expense simply if you use it. If you are on a winter transatlantic, probably not. Anywhere else, the benefit is proportional to how much time you will actually spend on your balcony.

not worth it to me. would rather spend that money on port excursions since we've already had the expense of flying to/from departure port. I simply cannot justify more $/person on top of that. Obviously, for us, money is an issue. I'm not willing to save more/longer for it.

I don't spend much time in the cabin and have not ever had a problem finding a great space on deck to sit and gaze out to sea. to each his own. I can do the coffee and jammies thing at home on my deck and anything else that one might enjoy on the balcony, can be done elsewhere on the ship. Privacy can be as much state of mind as it is physical separation from others.

I would rather do 3 cruises inside cabin than 2 cruises balcony -- about the difference in price between the two. I have done two balcony cruises -- Norwegian Star (Hawaii), and Rhapsody of the Seas. Both of these were on our wedding anniversay the end of May. The weather is warmer then, and there is more daylight as well. So the balcony was worth it to me. But in January, or even in March, the weather can be a tad cool for a balcony, and the sun goes down much earlier. It is a dark ocean out there at night -- not that much to see really. Plus, I'm a late sleeper, so I really do enjoy the inside cabin for that.

Best bet: Try a balcony, then on another cruise try an inside cabin. See if it is worth it to you. For me, it is not. But as has been said so many times in this thread: It is a personal choice.

One more thing to consider: Balconies are not always private. Sometimes you can see into the balcony next to you through openings in the separating partition. Sometimes decks above you can see into your balcony. On the Rhapsody of the Seas, people from the Lido buffet (which is at the front on this ship) could see right into the balconies. So, another answer for me is: It depends on the ship and the privacy of the balcony. (I would not do a balcony again on the Rhapsody.)

General question: Has anyone done a suite with a private hot tub? Now that is something I think I'd really enjoy.

As AltarEgo said, it is a matter of what is important to you. To some, the cost is not worth it, and they feel they can get fresh air in many public spaces on deck. For others, the balcony is important. For me, and this is just my personal view, I insist on a balcony so I can sit and enjoy the quiet and the sea. I really enjoy the peacefulness of the sea, and personally want to have that available all the time. I sit and stare at the sea, I read on the balcony, etc. However, nobody can answer this question for anyone else. Differences of opinion is what makes horse races!

It depends on the pricing. We have done insides, oceanviews and balconies. We choose according to what the pricing is for the particular cruise. We have done 5 nights inside for $249. pp. Did a 14 night oceanview for $729. pp Did a 10 night (cruise to Hawaii) in a balcony for $999. pp. I would rather cruise inside twice, than once in a balcony. As others have stated, you ask 100 people, you will get 100 different answers! :D

While cruising, there is not a morning that I do not go outside to see the glory of the sunrise in my pajamas, and an evening that I don't sit on my balcony and watch the day come to an end while watching the sun set with a glass of wine in my hand, and my DH and closest friends by my side. While in AK I even went out to the balcony to see the "light of day" at 3AM. A balcony adds more than space to your living quarters, it adds a whole other dimension to your living. If it's finances, I would forgo other things to have that experience.

Not always worth it .

I have only ever cruised in an outside twice, and the other 4 times were in balconies.

This next cruise just had a price drop,, I could have gotten a balcony but chose not to .. because,, its a Mexican Riveria cruise and I know the first and last days are usaully not that nice. The ports are not that attractive from sea.. ( I do not recall any lush green hillsides or white sand beaches and clear blue water)

I am travelling with my child,, so will not be sipping wine by myself too often out on balcony,, or with my 13 yr old,,LOL with hubby it sounds a bit more fun. LOL

I could only afford a balcony guarantee,, and I only want a mid ship cabin,, so don't want to risk getting one far forward.

I will be staying after for a few days,, and the extra money means staying in a nicer hotel on land..

Archived