Is a balcony cabin worth the extra $$$ ?

footzz

Our first cruise was an inside cabin; next two cruises were outside cabins with windows; then, we splurged and treated ourselves to a balcony cabin and there was no going back. OK, there is one exception, when we travel on shorter trips of 4 days or less, sometimes it’s just not worth the extra money.

One thing we enjoy about a balcony is we can get up in the morning and go out there in our pj's if we want to. We can order breakfast and dine “al fresco” as the ship docks at the port. We also enjoy the feeling of solitude and peace a balcony affords that you cannot usually find anywhere else on a crowded ship.

There is no denying that the cabin takes on a whole different dimension with that added outdoor space but is it really worth the added expense? What do you think?

When we 1st started cruising, about 35 ys ago we took inside cabin.(with daughter- think of how tight a squeeze that was) As we got older we upgraded ourselves to window and now we only look for balcony cabins. On our last Med cruise RCCL upgraded us to jr suite, let me tell u that was nice, maybe they'll do it again on our Aug. cruise.

Next wk we're going on NCL for lst time. I'll see how we like the change

I am a solo cruiser so not to me. For the price that some pay for one cruise in a balcony I can cruise three times a year in 1A porthole cabins. Same beds, same entertainment, same food and same great service but three times as much sea time.

do you get charged a single supplement?

I think you answered your own question ....in most instances yes it is. I am not sure that a baclony has value during the rainy, foggy and cold shoulder seasons in Alaska when you can't get out to enjoy it. However for those who's budget doesn't quite stretch for a balcony ... for heaven's sake book what you can afford and enjoy the cruise.:)

I don't know any different. On our first cruise, we got a balcony and DH and I spent a lot of time out there - coffee in the morning, glass of wine in the evening, peace and quiet to read a book. It is one of the ways we both enjoy relaxing. Our last cruise we had a suite - complete with a butler! OMG I could really get used to that. Our next cruise we are also in a suite because our kids are going with us and we wanted the extra room. For us a balcony is a must - thus the reason we only have 3 cruises under our belts and one upcoming!

Wouldn't cruise without one! If I can't afford a balcony cabin, I don't go. Like one of the previous posters said, we use the balcony more than the cabin.

We totally agree. It's a great alternative to the crowded pool area.

To get a balcony or not is up to you. I love a balcony and get one every time. For others, they don't use it so why waste the money. For others money is tight and they can't afford it.

Hello,

Pat Conroy's "neighbor" says it much better than I could.

our first cruise was an inside cabin; next two cruises were outside cabins with windows; then, we splurged and treated ourselves to a balcony cabin and there was no going back. Ok, there is one exception, when we travel on shorter trips of 4 days or less, sometimes it’s just not worth the extra money.

one thing we enjoy about a balcony is we can get up in the morning and go out there in our pj's if we want to. We can order breakfast and dine “al fresco” as the ship docks at the port. We also enjoy the feeling of solitude and peace a balcony affords that you cannot usually find anywhere else on a crowded ship.

there is no denying that the cabin takes on a whole different dimension with that added outdoor space but is it really worth the added expense? What do you think?

one you have a balcony , you will always want one. It's like once you own a lexus, thats all you will drive..:)

one you have a balcony , you will always want one. It's like once you own a lexus, thats all you will drive..:)

Unless you are one of the "lucky" ones who got sludge in their engine and Lexus refused to warranty the product. ;)

I have oft repeated the story about our first balcony cabin. It was on the Golden Princess in 2001. My DH said he could never sail again without a balcony. So I booked us an inside cabin and we still had a great cruise. We saved enough to pay for our airfare, excursions, and onboard expenses.

My price point is about $100 to upgrade from an inside to an outside and then again from an outside to a balcony. If it's more than that amount per person, we'll stick to the lower level cabins.

Since 2001, we have sailed on ten cruises. Of those, there have been four more inside cabins, four outside cabins (including some obstructed views), and two balconies.

I would not cruise without the balcony. 3 Reasons:

1. sitting on the balcony with your home brought champagne while the ship is still in dock is wonderful

2. I smoke. So the balcony is the only place I would smoke

3. Last cruise I took, my travel partner was an old friend. I had not traveled with her before and did not know she snored. We had 2 twin beds. So she did not want to interfere with my sleep after the terror of the first night. The remaining nights she put her mattress out on the balcony and slept. With the door shut, we both got good sleep. Cheaper than getting another cabin!

The balcony is worth every penny to us on 7 day or more cruises. We can live without it on shorter cruises although I have to listen to DH complain every day;) That balcony to us IS part of cruising. We don't spend money on spas or specialty restaurants or rarely expensive excursions while in port and have a reasonably low bar tab so our balcony is where we choose to spend extra money and to us it is well spent money to be able to wake up and walk outside and enjoy the sea air and sometimes view our entry into port or relax after a busy day in port, or after returning to our cabin after dinner before going back out to enjoy the evenings entertainment. No better way to end a day at sea then by spending a few minutes out on our balcony before retiring for the night. One of our favorite things at the end of a wonderful cruise is to enjoy breakfast on our balcony that last morning when we start our countdown for our next cruise:)

I would not cruise without the balcony. 3 Reasons:

1. sitting on the balcony with your home brought champagne while the ship is still in dock is wonderful

2. I smoke. So the balcony is the only place I would smoke

3. Last cruise I took, my travel partner was an old friend. I had not traveled with her before and did not know she snored. We had 2 twin beds. So she did not want to interfere with my sleep after the terror of the first night. The remaining nights she put her mattress out on the balcony and slept. With the door shut, we both got good sleep. Cheaper than getting another cabin!

OMG!!!!:eek: What an accommodating friend.

I wish I had the problem regarding a balcony. MY GF and I are looking into a cruise in May and we hve not cruise with out a butler and consiqure. The first cruise we were on was "just" a balcony then we had a butler and consiqure (sp) including one time in the owner's suite and we hav not looked back. This nect cruise we are going with friends and thought that we would all get a balcony but the GF is not changing her mind

Archived