Noisy rooms/light sleeper

My gf and I are booked to go on EOTS from Bayonne this winter. According to the floor plan, our BALCONY room is located next to the elevators. We can switch to the 6fl, but arent these balcony views blocked by concrete?

Are these rooms generally noisy (by the elevators)? Can you hear through the walls/doors?

Should I bring earplugs to sleep?

Any feedback is appreciated...

The floor plan makes the elevators seem closer than they are. Believe you me, I'm a lighter sleeper than you. What *I* find I need my white noise machine for (blasting in my face on my pillow at max volume) is to block out the sound of people talking in the hallway at 2am, and sounds from the cabin next door...which aren't really too bad unless you have someone next door who doesn't seem to realize that the walls are thin.

If earplugs work for you, take 'em. Whenever I try to use them, I find myself pulling them out in my sleep, which, in turn, wakes me up, lol.

Ok thanks, i'm just wondering because we hear people in the hallway or through the wall in 4-5 star hotels we have stayed at...and just wondering if the ship would be the same way.

We are just concerned with noises late at night (3-4 am in the morning.)

Hotels can be a nightmare. It really depends both on a ship and in hotels, how much noise you'll hear. If you happen to be near people who don't talk at full volume in the middle of the night, or blast their TV, or laugh ridiculously loud in their cabin, you'll be fine (as I was on the Majesty). But you never know so I'd definitely take the earplugs just in case. It's a pain in the neck that I have to travel with this clunky noise machine, but it works. (Except against my friend whom I last sailed with and can peel paint off the walls with her snoring...) UGH!

Hotels can be a nightmare. It really depends both on a ship and in hotels, how much noise you'll hear. If you happen to be near people who don't talk at full volume in the middle of the night, or blast their TV, or laugh ridiculously loud in their cabin, you'll be fine (as I was on the Majesty). But you never know so I'd definitely take the earplugs just in case. It's a pain in the neck that I have to travel with this clunky noise machine, but it works. (Except against my friend whom I last sailed with and can peel paint off the walls with her snoring...) UGH![/quote]

I know what you mean, except that snorer is my wonderful husband. I take the white noise machine too. Mine has a headphone jack too thankfully, so I can use headphones with it to block out his Harley Davidson level snoring. It works for me. I don't hear a thing. :)

That said, I most often get a cabin near the elevators and have never heard a ding or any noise from the elevator..

I know what you mean, except that snorer is my wonderful husband. I take the white noise machine too. Mine has a headphone jack too thankfully, so I can use headphones with it to block out his Harley Davidson level snoring. It works for me. I don't hear a thing. :)

That said, I most often get a cabin near the elevators and have never heard a ding or any noise from the elevator..

HELP ME THEN. Mine has a jack too, which would REALLY block out EVERYTHING, like a bomb, and not drive everyone else crazy. But I can't find ear buds that don't hurt so badly that I wake up in horrible pain, and that's even after pulling them out during the night because as soon as I turn my head the pain wakes me up. What do you use?!?!

Amy Beth,

You need a new cruising friend (or separate cabins) and a new sound machine. I swear by the Brookstone Travel Sound Therapy System. You can find them cheaply on eBay. They travel great and have lots and lots of sound choices + home and away settings. And if an outlet is not close they work great on the batteries. Check them out. Much easier to pack then those big clunky ones and the sound quality is even -- some of those inexpensive ones talk to me. (Smother that snoring wife, somther that snoring wife, smother that wife...)

Just me!:cool:

lol

I actually did tell her that if we vacation again, we have to have separate cabins...but of course that doubles our price!

I looked for your machine on ebay. It's still not exactly cheap, considering I don't have a job at the momo. So I'll have to live with my Homedics one, which is actually quite good. Lots of sounds, a built-in clock and a radio included. Of course all I need is one sound (the ocean or whatever it is that's just a loud, continuous whooooosh) but someone actually gave me this one after my last one burned out!

the elevators are around a little hallway...we've never heard any dinging from the elevators on any of the RCCL cruises we've been on...and we've been in the area near the elevators..

if you click the link below for the feb 2009 explorer cruise there is a video tour of our Junior suite..i START from the elevator landing so you can see that you are some distance away.

HELP ME THEN. Mine has a jack too, which would REALLY block out EVERYTHING, like a bomb, and not drive everyone else crazy. But I can't find ear buds that don't hurt so badly that I wake up in horrible pain, and that's even after pulling them out during the night because as soon as I turn my head the pain wakes me up. What do you use?!?!

I use the "behind the neck" style headphones. Mine are Philips brand. I understand your pain too! I've worked on this problem for a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHS3910-27-Neckband-Headphones/dp/B000QS0ZVU/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0

This is the only style that don't kill me when using them all night. Hope it helps. :)

I use the "behind the neck" style headphones. Mine are Philips brand. I understand your pain too! I've worked on this problem for a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHS3910-27-Neckband-Headphones/dp/B000QS0ZVU/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0

This is the only style that don't kill me when using them all night. Hope it helps. :)

I actually looked for similar ones to that in Best Buy but they seem to sell nothing but buds. I'll have to either see if i can find them, or just get them from Amazon. Thanks! :)

Archived