For anyone flying in from Canada

scchasgal

Transport Canada has made the following announcement:

emergency measures include no carry-on bags to U.S.A.

spacer.gif

Effective immediately, CATSA is implementing temporary emergency measures at security checkpoints under the direction of Transport Canada. These measures are in response to a failed terrorist attack on board an aircraft from Amsterdam to Detroit on December 25, 2009. These new measures will affect all flights from Canada to the United States.

U.S.A. bound passengers are permitted zero carry-on bags effective immediately and lasting for several days. Passengers travelling within Canada are still permitted two carry-on bags (although to make the screening process most efficient, fewer carry-on items is preferred).

These rules will be strictly enforced during this period. There will be no flexibility.

Carry-on bag means items to which a passenger has access to during a flight, but does NOT include personal items such as medication or medical devices, small purses, cameras, coats, items for care of infants, laptop computers, crutches, canes, walkers, containers carrying life sustaining items, a special needs item, musical instruments, or diplomatic or consular bags.

Agreed. It is silly. :cool:

but we cant do one of those xray machines where they see too much of you, too invasive.

they hand searched my purse and pulled me out of line getting on a plane once. I must look like a terroist. Two of us got pulled out the rest were allowed to get on the plane. I couldnt find a place for my carry on by the time I was allowed on. I got the pat down and stuff.

The carry on thing doesn't bother me as much as the no getting out of your seat for the last hour of the flight!

It's kind of like when they gave us metal forks but plastics knives due to security concerns. Cause it not like a pointy metal fork could be used as a weapon. Whatever makes people sleep well at night!

This isn't just Canada's crazy idea it comes from Homeland security in USA which is setting the rules for american air space. You notice the rules are only for flights that are arrive or departing from the USA.

The carry on thing doesn't bother me as much as the no getting out of your seat for the last hour of the flight!

It's kind of like when they gave us metal forks but plastics knives due to security concerns. Cause it not like a pointy metal fork could be used as a weapon. Whatever makes people sleep well at night!

This isn't just Canada's crazy idea it comes from Homeland security in USA which is setting the rules for american air space. You notice the rules are only for flights that are arrive or departing from the USA.

Actually I haven't seen anything from TSA in the U.S. about no carryons and it is only for outbound flight from Canada, for now. I am sure like everything else from Transport Canada and/or TSA will change from one minute to the next.

Actually I haven't seen anything from TSA in the U.S. about no carryons and it is only for outbound flight from Canada, for now. I am sure like everything else from Transport Canada and/or TSA will change from one minute to the next.

When you fly from YYZ you're going through US customs before you board so it's their directive no matter how transport Canada spins it.

I thought I heard where they abandoned the idea of staying in your seat the last hour? I really hope so. I fly to Hawaii next month and it's an 11 hour flight. I also am a nervous flyer and often make quite a few trips to the ladies room. :o Being stuck in my seat for the last hour could be VERY bad. :o

When you fly from YYZ you're going through US customs before you board so it's their directive no matter how transport Canada spins it.

I realize this since I go through YOW a lot. But just remember Transport Canada (TSA) is not the same as customs and immigration.

Flying domestically TSA is still involved customs is not.

I want to know the definition of a 'small purse'!!! Some of the purses around these days can hold a small toddler! :D:D

I usually bring a 'stuffed' carryon (like a weekend/gym bag) with the heavy stuff so my luggage is under the 50 lb limit! (ya I know I keep trying to pack less)....and then this bag doubles as my beach/port excursion bag which works out great!

I am hoping this 'ban' will be lifted in the next week or so - but if not I still want to bring some stuff on board which I will not check such as: camera, meds, ipods/chargers, jewellery, documents, passport, the small bag of 'liquids'..... this will not fit in a SMALL purse! I have a nylon travel/shoulder bag - meant for airline flying - lots of pockets inside (around 14 x 10 x 6) and that's as small as it gets...I will have issues stuffing everything inside! (it isn't really much bigger than a nice laptop bag and that seems to be allowed?).

Leaving the US into Canada is not an issue - only flying in - so you should be able to bring a carryon with you on the plane back from a cruise.....

I will be calling Westjet a few days before I go to check on the 'rules' and finalize my packing! At least on Westjet I can check 2 bags for free - it's coming home that it will cost me (flying American Airlines).

And the issue of staying in your seat for the last hour of the flight is no longer in effect as far as I know - or as was reported on the news the other day.

Awaiting more 'updated' info from any recent Canadian cruisers who have recently flown into the US (and back!)

Right, but security is after customs in T1, so the customs people don't know what you are taking onboard and what you are checking.

As usual, Transport Canada releases a statement but provides little information. I am bringing my laptop on the Splendor and flying out on Friday. Does that mean I carry it on by itself, or is my backpack allowed on filled with the latptop and other stuff.

I can't wait to see how this all plays out Friday afternoon. They say take an extra bag of patience to the airport with you, but they will charge for that too I am sure!

Here is the 'latest' from the TSA website - sounds like a 'new' directive was just put into place today!!!

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/dec25_guidance.shtm

No, it is not silly. Precautions need to be taken. If I can't take a carry on, so be it.

It has nothing to do with security per se, it's all about speeding up security checks themselves. No carry-on, less luggage to process.

As for the last hour thing, do you really think it will prevent a terrorist attack or do you think maybe they'd just adjust the timing.

Increased airport security is like copy protection. Inconveniences honest people and does nothing to stop the bad guys.

Here is the 'latest' from the TSA website - sounds like a 'new' directive was just put into place today!!!

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/dec25_guidance.shtm

Yes I did see that but it doesn't say anything about no carry ons just enhanced security scanning. Do you remember a few years about after 9/11? I got the bra pat down a little humiliating considering it was done out in public.

Here is a statement from the TSA in USA

TSA Statement on New Security Measures for International Flights to the U.S.

News & Happenings

January 3, 2010

Today, the Transportation Security Administration issued new security directives to all United States and international air carriers with inbound flights to the U.S. effective January 4, 2010.

The new directive includes long-term, sustainable security measures developed in consultation with law enforcement officials and our domestic and international partners.

Because effective aviation security must begin beyond our borders, and as a result of extraordinary cooperation from our global aviation partners, TSA is mandating that every individual flying into the U.S. from anywhere in the world traveling from or through nations that are state sponsors of terrorism or other countries of interest will be required to go through enhanced screening. The directive also increases the use of enhanced screening technologies and mandates threat-based and random screening for passengers on U.S. bound international flights

Translation: Unless Canada complies and enforces such rules around carry ons and what not that the TSA agrees with. They can't fly in American air space therefore.... who do you think these rules are coming from

Yes I did see that but it doesn't say anything about no carry ons just enhanced security scanning. Do you remember a few years about after 9/11? I got the bra pat down a little humiliating considering it was done out in public.

You are allowed carryons in the US - as stated ' no changes'....see below from TSA website FAQs:

Q: Do passengers need to do anything differently to prepare for checkpoint security procedures? Has anything changed in terms of what passengers can bring in their carry-on or checked bags?

A: At this time, security checkpoint requirements for passengers departing U.S. airports remain the same. Passengers do not need to do anything differently, but they may notice additional security measures at the airport.

As for the new directive - I can't imagine Canada is considered a 'country of interest'?? But all that refers to is enhanced security screening for individuals from certain countries - not whether or not carryons are allowed....... or other 'airplane' rules in effect!

Here is a statement from the TSA in USA

Today, the Transportation Security Administration issued new security directives to all United States and international air carriers with inbound flights to the U.S. effective January 4, 2010.

The new directive includes long-term, sustainable security measures developed in consultation with law enforcement officials and our domestic and international partners.

The carry on new rules come in under the "new Security directives" and not the enhanced screening for flights from countries of interst, which is for all inbound flights from international locations. I agree it does seem a double standard as the risk is just as high from national flights as international, as was sadely proven on 9/11 and more recently at Newark airport where someone was able to sneak through security without being checked

Archived