For anyone flying in from Canada

scchasgal

Ok folks . I have read the PDF file from Catsa that lists the allowed items not considered carry ons but as personel items . It says these things are allowed including a small purse . It also says items must be on the person and not in a larger bag . Can the allowed items be in the mentioned purse or pouch . If they can't what do you carry them in .

Also the allowed head phones come in a case with a strap for over your shoulder . Is this ok. I wish they were more clear. We will be a mess if the luggage does not arrive on the plane . Hope the cruise line will have lots of items to buy on board if we do not get the cases . Carry ons have always been considered a necessity for a cruise Also i wonder how strict are they on purse size . Mine is about an inch bigger

I agree - it is silly. Especially for we border town people. So instead of flying out of Toronto where I can't take a carry on, I will just fly out of Buffalo, where I can take a carry on. Buffalo is closer, easier, less traffic, etc and equals less of a headache. The customs officers will not likely search my carry on at the bridge. So what's the point of it all ....??

I totally agree AND flights out of Buffalo are less expensive too. We got a flight from Buffalo to Orlando for $64. each and $94. home.

I know there needs to be tigher control and I agree on most of what they say you are allowed to bring. I have objections with Europeans being allowed a modest sized carry on bag and Canadians not allowed ANY carry on bags.

The description is clear what is allowed, so needless to say, my purse will act as a home for my three cameras, battery bag, wallet, money, DS, MP3, jewellery, and a few others items. I have to wonder what makes European travllers OK to bring ONE carry on and we are allowed NO carry on? More people travel to the US from Europe than Canada to the US.

I will not be happy to not have a ONE small carry on bag to accompany my purse. I always pack one full change of clothes in a carry in in the event of a airport problem or lost luggage. I can't easily replace my clothes, no, I am not a size 0-6 and can walk into most stores and get a whole new wardrobe for next to nothing.....

Personally, I think Transport Canada went way to far overboard by saying we are not allowed to bring ONE carry on and that ONe carry on must have the allowed items and what other items you need to have with you.

Ya, and the purse size they suggest, SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many women have a purse that is around the size of a football...NOT ME!!!!!!!!! None of my purses are that size..all are larger!

Well, tomorrow is the day to pack it all and see how much room there will be in the purse after my valuables are packed...I'll say bye bye to my suitcases at around 4:30am (MST) and not see them again for over 10 hours...I can only hope they do get off the Denver plane and onto the Miami bound plane Friday....

FRANNIe--I know, clearer info would be nicer from CATSA. My purse is 3' too long, but 2" shorter, and 2" narrower...so overall dimensions sort of balance out...

Carry on--Yes, my intention was to travel with ONE suitcase, one rolling suitcase (carry on), and a beach bag carry on.....Now I have to pay $40 instead of $15 for luggage because this I can't bring my two carry ons....

CATSA--if anyone from that Org is out there, please read this and learn to be a little more concise with what is and where it is..

Cameras--mine will be in my purse and no way will they make me check my rather pricy videocamera...

I agree that this whole thing is insanity - and why 'canadians' have been singled out is a mystery as well. I was out shopping today looking for a 'suitable' purse! Mine is a few inches too long and as previously mentioned I would not preclude the customs people from whipping out a tape measure and saying too bad for you......again I ask what could you possibly do at that point? (I told dh - who is dropping me off at the airport - that he will have to stick around until I make it thru security and call him in case I need to go back 'out' and get another bag or something?).....

I also was confused about the 'you can carry these on your person' but you can't carry them in a 'bigger than allowed' bag? Very weird wording as it is in the 'negative'....

My husband just flew from Halifax to Rochester, NY and brought his laptop and case with him. Inside the case he had a hardcover book, glasses and a few other small items. Other than having him actually turn on the laptop nothing was different from previous flights to the US and there was no delay at all. They did "swab" his bag but I have had this done in previous years to my purse as well. My thinking is that if a laptop case can be brought onboard, a purse of equivalent size should be perfectly acceptable. Sadly, I don't make the rules!

I use this purse the Heys travel purse.. albeit it is not huge you can fit alot into it there are tons of compartments....

Feature List:

2 Bags in 1 - Comes with Bonus Passport Bag

Hands Free Bag - Worn across your chest

Expandable!

Special Wet Pocket

Includes Mini Detachable LED Light

Includes Mini Detachable Mirror

Zip-Open Water Bottle Pocket

Material: Soft Lambskin Leather

Size:

7" x 9" x 3" - 5" when expanded

Weight:

0.52 kg ( 1.15 lbs )

Warranty: 2 Year Limited Warranty

tm_leather-2.jpg

I agree that if a laptop bag is allowed why not any 'other' bag of similar dimension? My travel bag looks like a laptop - not much bigger - yet a few inches more than the 'designated' small purse!

I was out at lunch today shopping the specialty luggage store - made them haul out a tape measure and tried to find something suitable. Ended up with a VERY UGLY leadsports bag - looks like a copy of le sportsac - has a few outside pockets (good for the camera, cellphone, sunglasses) and a large 'space' inside where I can throw in my meds, book, jewellery, ipod, snack, tissue, gum, makeup - hope everything fits. Will try it out - have 7 days to return - maybe I will find something that looks prettier?:D

You people are trying to make sense of a nonsensical situation. You're gonna get a headache.

Hi froufie! :p

You said it - major migraine - I should be preparing to relax on my upcoming cruise - not stressing out about no carryon and how the @#$S!! am I going manage with only a rinky dink purse!!! It is all complete NONSENSE!

Reading the paper today it is only supposed to get more strict can't wait for that:rolleyes:

Well that's just great isn't it!!! My luck my 'bag' will be 1/2 too big or something and I will be forbidden on the plane and hauled off to customs jail never to be seen or heard from again!!!:eek::eek: (okay who's doing the road trip? Save a seat for me!:) )

I wonder if I can use a laptop carrying case as my bag instead? :) This has gotten ridiculous. I don't see why they allow the laptop bag, but the purse size is smaller. I can't fit all my magazines, and crap in a tiny bag! And I"m confused as to how to carry the items. Sheesh, all my carry bags are bigger (canvas bags), and my smallest one (a cruiseship freebie) which hardly holds anything at all is 17" x 11". This is crazy.

The restriction on NO CARRYONS is coming from transport Canada and not the TSA. The TSA has imposed stricter security measures such as a hand search of carry on bags and a pat down or full body scanners. In an effort to minimize the delays at the airport, transport Canada decided to ban carry ons so that there were less bags to search.

When we boarded in Ottawa after New Year's, everyone was through the body search and standing around waiting for their one personal item to be searched. So that shows the luggage search is the bottleneck, not the body search. So the decision to ban a carry on makes sense. It also explains why only flights from Canada are not allowed a carry on.

I did not see anyone measuring any bag to make sure it was in line with the requirements. That would slow things down even more. As long as your bag is not humungous, it should be allowed on. My daughter had a large shoulder bag which is actually used as a carry on. Since it was the only thiing she had with her, it was her purse. No problem with it at security.

If they could find a way to speed up the baggage search, they may get back to allowing carry ons. They have been very thorough with the bag searches.

My husband flew from Ottowa to Boston this morning...so, I guess you can't get more 'latest and greatest' than this..

He had to check everything except his laptop computer, which was allowed in a neoprene sleeve. Absolutely no carry on whatsoever. His prescription medication also went thru bag check..but most likely because as a man, he didn't have a purse to keep it in.

He went thru customs, a pat down, all the usual screening stuff...

He laughed because the only thing they didn't pat was the area that the Christmas day nutjob packed his explosives in.

I flew from Toronto to Miami yesterday and to be honest, it wasn't anywhere as bad as I imagined it would be. I knew about all of the restrictions as did almost everyone else in the airport.

After going through customs, you start to hit all of the secondary checks. The first one is the usual walk through the xray machine .. nothing new. You notice another check point heading towards your gate - the first one is the pat down. It is operated by RCMP officers for the most part. The next check immediately after is a bag check (although, this check can be done in conjunction with the pat down check depending on whose desk you are assigned to).

The bag check is by far the most timely part - you need to remove everything from the bag and if electronic, power it up.

For us, the whole process took a little over an hour. Plenty of time considering we arrived 3 hours early as advised by the airlines.

One interesting note though - I saw backpacks, rather large purses and some carryons allowed through. I'm not sure I'd chance it though myself.

Anyway, just go prepared with lots of time and you will be fine - I might even put this trip through the airport as one of the least stressful ones I've ever had. ALL security people were incredibly polite and actually joked a bit with you.

OP, don't worry and enjoy your vacation!

My husband flew from Ottowa to Boston this morning...so, I guess you can't get more 'latest and greatest' than this..

He had to check everything except his laptop computer, which was allowed in a neoprene sleeve. Absolutely no carry on whatsoever. His prescription medication also went thru bag check..but most likely because as a man, he didn't have a purse to keep it in.

He went thru customs, a pat down, all the usual screening stuff...

He laughed because the only thing they didn't pat was the area that the Christmas day nutjob packed his explosives in.

I presume you are correct in saying if he had a 'laptop case' or 'purse/bag' he would have been allowed to bring it on board? Can you ask him how strict he thought they were with the 'small' purse issue? e.g. what type/size of bags were people bringing on board and did he see anyone 'rejected' or told their bag was too big? (and if so what happened?)....

Sounds like the 'toronto' experience was not that bad and there was some leniency in the size of the bags being allowed on.....I am stressing out here hoping to bring my 'regular' carryon - which is a bit bigger than the current allowances - yet fearful that they will not allow it - then I am stuck and not sure what I will do!!!

Thanks for any additional information! (I am of course flying from Ottawa!)

I presume you are correct in saying if he had a 'laptop case' or 'purse/bag' he would have been allowed to bring it on board? Can you ask him how strict he thought they were with the 'small' purse issue? e.g. what type/size of bags were people bringing on board and did he see anyone 'rejected' or told their bag was too big? (and if so what happened?)....

Sounds like the 'toronto' experience was not that bad and there was some leniency in the size of the bags being allowed on.....I am stressing out here hoping to bring my 'regular' carryon - which is a bit bigger than the current allowances - yet fearful that they will not allow it - then I am stuck and not sure what I will do!!!

Thanks for any additional information! (I am of course flying from Ottawa!)

We flew from Edmonton to Orlando on December 31st with our 3 kids, needless to say my purse was stretched to the max, but they never said anything. There was a family who did have to take out their laptop and check in their laptop bag because it was too bulky and not the slim sleeve type.

'Normal' size purses were fine...he says he didn't see anything that was big enough to carry a weekends worth of clothes. Hubby travels with a carry on and a lap top bag, which is slightly larger than his carryon, but BOTH bags would have been well within true limits for carryon baggage.. if you are using that metal framework they put near all the gates to compare. All decisions were made at the first security checkpoint... He couldn't even use his cell phone to call me from the tarmac to let me know he was in.. it had to wait until he was in the terminal.

Sorry I can't be of more help.. I would prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

Thanks for the info - my 'bag' that I want to use is about 14 x 13 x 6....and I am hoping it will be okay! Just hoping it's not a slow Saturday morning at the airport and they LOTS of time on their hands (unlike Toronto where they are probably processing hundreds of travellers every hour) so they will have fun emptying my carryon, measuring it and then witm my luck refusing it as 'allowable' - going extra early to allow time for 'contingency planning'! :D

Our group is hoping for the best when we fly from Vancouver to Orlando for our Eastern Caribbean cruise.

My purse is not too big and my husband will carry his computer in a small laptop bag.

I am more worried about the crowds at the airport. We have a 6:30am flight and we are leaving on Feb 12 (the first day of the Winter Olympics).

Still deciding if we should be at the airport 3 or 4 hours ahead...

Should be interesting to say the least...

LOL

Michelle

Archived